It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2003, 07:46 AM   #1

tarwxxl HB User
Post husband needs advice

Hi...my wife of 15 years has been suffering from stupor like episodes for the last few years. It normally occurs mid-evening, at the end of the day (she works full time) when she gives herself permission to relax. Its almost as if her body and mind slows right down. They don't happen everyday, but frequently - about 3x per week. She frequently falls asleep standing up, craves food - stands at the refridgerator for long periods eating then falling asleep, then eating ... I find her asleep on the toilet, she is confused and constantly makes absract excuses for her behaviour. I try to coax her to bed but she fights her exhaustion and refuses to give in.

She has gained alot of weight over the past few years and has problems with her memory, constipation and now I have done some reading on the net several other symptoms of hypothyroidism. She recently went to our doctor who said she has hypo...based on blood tests, but he hasn't started her on any treatment yet.

What I really want to know is this. I'm very worried about these stupor like moods that my wife has. It is altering our relationship to the point where I feel that I'm looking after her when she has these episodes (like you might look after a person with dementia), and anticipating them most evenings... Is there anyone reading this who can tell me that the medicine will bring my wife back? It is breaking my heart to see her like this, she is such a kind, intelligent and strong woman.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2003, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
We call it "brain fog", but her's sounds like profound exhaustion too. Yes, meds can help. It is hard to get the right treatment though. Why hasn't her dr. started treating her yet? See if you can get her test results and post them to Meep here. Did they say what meds they are going to give her? Hang in there. IWL

Old 08-13-2003, 10:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
The Thyroid gland can effect quite a bit in the body, which I think is why the symptoms are to diverse. I just haven't heard of this falling asleep thing, exactly.

I had a symptom where every once in a while I would get so lethargic, to the point of almost passing out. Eating food would always bring me back to life. Doesn't sound like what your wife is going through, but just to illustrate the bizzare symptoms that you can have with Hypothyroid. Unless of course, I have something else going on there.

Usually, the Doctor prescribes medications at the time the diagnosis is made. Just as IWL suggests, you can get a copy of her lab results (the Doctor legally has to give them to you). Post the results here. There are several very knowledgeable people here, including someone called Meep, who can help you to understand what they mean.

Specifically, the numbers of interest, are (her Doc will have tested some, but not likely all of these): TSH, Free T3, Free T4, Total T4, Total T3, AntiThyroid Anitibodies (ATA).

Once people look at the numbers, there are links on this board, and people here to help you understand how to get the best treatment.

Old 08-13-2003, 10:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
If it has been confirmed by a doctor that she is indeed hypothyroid, she needs to be on medicine. What is he waiting for? Levothyroxine (T4) is the chemical name of several brands of thyroid hormone supplement. It is the usual starting treatment. Sometimes an additional hormone called triodothyronine (T3) is used in addition to the T4, or it can be added at a later time if the T4 alone isn't doing the job.

The episodes she is having could be due to many things; but if her hypoT has been ongoing untreated for years and is at an advanced stage, it could possibly be the cause such profound mental impairment and exhaustion.

If you can get a print-out of her lab results and their reference ranges, post them here as IWL suggests. There are people here who can help you determine what may be most helpful for her.

I'll be thinking about the two of you, hoping you find the reason behind her poor health very soon.

Old 08-13-2003, 12:14 PM   #5

Cuibono HB User
Hello, sorry to hear what you are going through. I went through this kind of thing, I called them my "semi-comas" before I was diagnosed with acute first degree hypothyroidism, TSH was 66.0. I also was extremely hungry and thirsty all the time and walk around in a brain fog! My tongue was swollen and "wooden", and I became extremely uncoordinated. It's very important to get your wife's lab results.
Best wishes to both of you.

Old 08-13-2003, 12:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Thyroid can affect you in strange ways, I know if my levels are just a bit off I will feel awful and sometimes at a certain time of the day I am soooo tired I can't stay awake.

Your wife needs to be on meds, I can't believe they confirmed she has a problem but haven't done anything, most docs are quick to grab that prescription pad, some are too quick at times if you know what I mean.

Good luck, hope she is doing better soon.

Old 08-14-2003, 04:58 AM   #7

tarwxxl HB User
Thumbs up

Thankyou all. My wife is making another appointment with the doctor TODAY. I'm going with her this time. Seems as though he's dragging his feet and needs a bit of 'persuasion'. From reading some other messages it seems that treating the illness is the second part of the battle, AFTER you get the doctor to accept you have it.

Closed Thread