It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2003, 07:22 PM   #1

tenortime HB User
Unhappy what tests to ask for??? thyroid

Have not been feeling well for a few weeks. Tired, anxiety attacks, pressure in my face and neck and ear, mental confusion brain fog and some balance issues. I had an MRI, nothing, blood work, nothing. I went to the neuro and she said nothing but i need a spinal tap. I woke up a few days ago with a lump inmy thorat which is now gone, asked my dr about it and she felt something, did an ultrasound saw one side was thicker than the other, did a bloood test and today she calls and says I need a thyroid scan. Whats the deal?? What blood tests do I need to find out about the thyroid. She did some tests but not sure what. Do thyroid problems come all of a sudden or is it a more gradual thing?? I will know more on Thursday I guess. Thanks for any information. I was reading a book about tryroid and sounded like this could be me maybe.

Old 08-13-2003, 08:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
Thyroid symptoms can come on suddenly, but I think for most they come one gradually. If you want to see people's histories, read through some of this thread:
[url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000045.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000045.html[/url]

I have had (maybe) slight symptoms over my life. Not really sure. I bicycle a lot, and was gearing up this spring, biking almost every evening about 20 miles or so, and many mornings, about 15-20 miles - and biking with Triathletes.

Then one day, suddenly, after biking 18 very agressive miles, I stayed exhausted the whole day. And that never quit.

Now a full three months of meds later, I'm feeling about 85%.

So yes, the symptoms can come on suddenly. But probably not the norm.

Maybe someone else can respond about what tests to ask about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2003, 05:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Yes, thyroiditis can be a sudden event. For example - but not exclusively - the type that can set in after childbirth. It can happen due to a virus or bacterial infection, although experts don't know exactly which ones or why. The damage that the sudden inflammation causes may be temporary, or it may be permanent.

Old 08-14-2003, 12:54 PM   #4

rebroker HB User
Tenortime,
The reason the doc wants to do a thyroid scan is to see if you have a nodule on your thyroid. It sounds like to me you have Hashimotos and you had a flare-up.
When I have had Hashi attacks, I have difficulty swallowing with a feeling of a lump in my throat. I also have difficulty turning my head or looking down.If you have a nodule and are hypo/hashi, and your TSH levels in your blood are elevated, you will need to take thyroid medication. You can have hashi with graves disease (hyper). Best thing to do....read, read read to understand the implications of thyroid disease. I had the same symptoms as you, panic attacks, very dry skin, extreme nervousness, exhausted all the time and my legs hurt. When I was dx with hypo/hashi, my antibodies were over 600 and my TSH 12.
Good luck to you and I promise you will feel better over time with the right meds.

Closed Thread