It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2003, 07:37 AM   #1

mauigal HB User
Post new and afraid

hello
Im new to the boards although Ive been reading them for some time now.
Ive been sick for about two years now and after being poo pooed by my regular dr for that ammount of time I finally got the answers I needed from my OB/GYN...he listened to me and didnt blame everything on depression. Anyway, I have hashimotos...plain and simple....or is it?! I will post what I know of my tests...I dont have them in front of me.
TSH= 6.0 normal range .3 to 4.0
T3=1.0 normal range .7 to 1.8
antihyroperoxidase 1709 normal is under 2 (could that be right)?
My endo gave me synthroid .25 wants me to take it for 10 days up it to a pill and a half for 10 days and then 2 pills from there on..
Reading all these posts...I AM FREAKING OUT....no one has anything good to say about synthroid....I have been looking at these little pills and havent started them...its been at least two months!!! Does it help anyone? My hair is falling out so bad and I hear that it gets worse on the synthroid...WORSE???? could it be??? I will be bald by Christams....
Could someone please give me some advice...do my labs seem like it will be easy to treat....what can I expect when I start the meds?? My labs dont look as bad as others on here but I have been very sick..
Thank you so much...look forward to hearing from anyone with advice. Oh one more thing...does everyone gain more weight on the synthroid??? Yikes

Old 08-13-2003, 09:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Welcome,
Synthroid will effect everyone differently as everyone will react to different meds in a different way, so you may be fine on it.

However, if you are unsure and don't feel like you want to even try it, request something else. I was on Unithroid for about 1-1/2 years, a lab tech once told me that was better because you loose less hair with it, this may be true for some, don't know, I never lost a ton of hair but a friend who took Synthroid said she did loose a lot of hair and gain weight on it. I now take Thyrolar because I needed a T4 T3 combo, my current doc said that most people do o.k. on T4 only for a while and then start feeling poorly.

If your doc won't let you try something else, then it is time for a new doc, synthroid is not the only med brand and doesn't work for everyone.

Also, it would be a good idea to have T4 free, T3 free as well as TSH lab work done next time you get bloodwork, the free tests are the ones you want to base treatment on.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2003, 05:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
Thumbs up

Mauigal.... see, we have similar names, if you think about it. Hope that's not over the top.

I take Levoxyl, which is straight T4, pretty much the same thing as Synthroid. I'll tell you my experience, which is about what I would guess yours will be.

The first day, I was expecting something. I felt absolutly nothing, same with the second day... third, etc. Thyroid hormone is very slow acting. In fact, I was more dissapointed in how long it took to feel any difference at all. Unless you have some mitigating reason, I would just start taking it, and see how you do.

If you read that people have trouble with Synthroid, isn't it more that people want to get more releif, faster than the Synthroid is already giving them? I'm not sure it is so much that Synthroid itself normally makes one feel poorly.

There are some people that have some difficulty with one brand of T4 or another. But I don't think the incidence should be high enough to make you not try it.

Your Doctor has prescribed a very low dose of Synthroid to begin (.25), and builds you up to what is still a low dose (.50). That's a gentler way to introduce it.

The only way you are going to feel better is to begin taking the meds. After several weeks, when you feel a bit better, you may want to evaluate how that is doing for you. If you don't feel close to normal, you may be frustrated at that.... but you should still be feeling at the very least, better than you are now.

I would start taking it right away... get on the road to recovery. Post how you feel here, if you want. There are lot's of people here to help you through when you are not feeling well, and to help you cheer when you are feeling well.

- Wishing you well.

[This message has been edited by Divermon (edited 08-13-2003).]

Old 08-13-2003, 06:18 PM   #4

luke1 HB User
I think that stepping up your dosage gradually is a good method from my limited experience. My GP bumped my Synthroid up from .075mg to .1mg and I felt worse, much worse. I think he should have increased it in increments as your doctor has prescribed. After three and a half weeks I am now feeling better. I have also gone to an endocrinologist and she told me that if this increase in Synthroid is correct it will take 6 to 8 weeks to see a real improvement. I was hoping for more, but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Be patient and good luck.

Old 08-13-2003, 06:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Divermon,
Synthroid does affect people in different ways, (as does any brand of thyroid meds)its not just that they want faster relief, I have heard of countless people complaining of loosing hair and gaining weight on synthroid, including my friend who was on it for a long period of time before finally being switched to a different brand. All brands have a little bit different amount of chemicals and binding agents, (doc told me this) this can cause problems in some people, so synthroid may work for some and some may have reactions to it(hair falling out, more weight gain or just not feeling well).

[This message has been edited by dea4 (edited 08-13-2003).]

[This message has been edited by dea4 (edited 08-13-2003).]

Old 08-13-2003, 06:54 PM   #6
(female)

JaneM HB User
Mauigal, please do not be afraid to start Synthroid. I went on it one year ago when diagnosed, and I have to say, it has made me feel much better.

Since being on the Synthroid, my hair has stopped falling out and is back to its usual thick self. I had gained about 20 pounds before being diagnosed and starting the Synthroid, but now it is finally s-l-o-w-l-y coming off.

To build your dosage up slowly tells me your doctor is a good one. He does not sound like many doctors who throw a prescription at you and say, "take one of these a day and it will cure all", then leave you alone.

As the others have said, it may take a few weeks on Synthroid to feel better. The only problems I have now are due to under-medication by my doctor rather than the Synthroid itself. (Hopefully this will change, as I am signing up with a new doctor.)

I hope you decide to follow your doctor's advice and give the Synthroid a try. Chances are you will eventually feel much better -- if you have any problems with it, it sounds as if your doctor will be good to work with.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:06 PM   #7

ANNETTE H HB User
Hi. I too am new to the Healthboard,but not to Hypo-T and Synthroid.I was dxed 26 years ago. With a few goiter flareups I have been on the same dose and have done as well as can be expected. The real problem with Hypo/Hyper-T is not the desease but the lack of "interest" by the medical field. You have to read for yourself,keep track of what is happening to you. This is a real challange, can you know enough about Hashimotos and can you get your doctor to really listen and learn? The one and only thing that you can count on is how you feel!! Lab reports can show normal and you will know that you are anything but normal! This will all work out for you, Synthroid (or whatever your doctor's Rx is) is what you need to try. Do as the directions say. Remember this, always take Synthroid at the same time each AM. Take it with WATER. Do take it at least 2 hours before you eat or drink.Minerals hender Synthroid, so take your Vitamins at night. Estrogen also can hender. Alcohol, nicotine and caffine are all extra bad for us. Take your meds and have the lab work done as ordered.Never miss a dose,never take more,unless your doctor says to. Your hair, if you color or perm, STOP! Give it extra TLC, the same for your skin. Even some suntan lotions can be harmful to us! Do you understand what Hashimotos is? Do not rely on what has been for others. This is YOU your doctor is taking care of! Yes, we have all had times that we wish we could have avoided, but the main thing is that we are all learning more each day.Now if we can just get the average doctor to see that Hypo/Hyper-T as something other than"a women thing" we will all do much better. There is letter you should read, I have to find it! Later PS My Hubby is from Minneapolis.Were is Woodbury from there?

doyle5 Do I have to get worse before I Feel better?

[This message has been edited by ANNETTE H (edited 08-13-2003).]

Old 08-13-2003, 07:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
DEA, your points noted. I know that does happen with some.

For the most part, I just think she should assume all will be well, take the med, and just see. The odds are well in her favor, I would think.

Almost ANYTHING is better than these horrible symptoms. I may complain when I get a bit over-medicated, but I'll take that Hyper feeling any day, compared to sluming in a chair, energy-less.

My $0.02, same as everyone here is saying.... please take the meds. You'll be so glad you got started. Nothing to be worried about.

Old 08-14-2003, 03:10 AM   #9

daldre1269 HB User
Hi... I was also TERRIFIED of synthroid for all the reasons you mentioned above plus weight gain, etc... so, I had my doc start me on armour which has both t3 and t4 in it.

It is very true that synthroid alone leaves a very large percentage of hypos still quite symptomatic.

There is alot of good info on this board re: armour and synthroid... do a search on this board for those.

Good luck.

Old 08-14-2003, 06:06 AM   #10

mauigal HB User
Wink

Hi everyone!!!!
Thank you all sooooo much for the advice and the well wishes. I was very happy to wake up to so many well wishers!!! I will start my synthroid....I did try it once and felt amped up...and couldnt sleep...I took it only for 3 days....was probably more of what was going on in my life then the med Im thinking...
I hear you all talk about under medicating and it making you feel worse...will my low dose be too small?
I too have along thick hair....my best feature now that Im fat...hahahahha and I want it too stop falling out. I think, even tho I feel bad with other physical symptoms...the hair is by FAR the most distressing one!!!!
One more thing to anyone...with hashis do you feel really good sometimes...like go through a good period and then feel sick again? I have a little goiter and when I feel it bigger I usually am feeling sick...and like today I dont feel it hardly and I feel GOOD!!!!
Also on those antibodies....mine was 1709.....does that seem right? Ive never seen anyone post such a high number...what does it mean? What I mean is, does the number matter or just the fact that you have antibodies.
Im going to Las Vegas on Sunday for one last summer hurrah with the kids...my family lives there...so please try to post..
Again...thank you all so much!!!!

Old 08-14-2003, 06:21 AM   #11

mauigal HB User
Wink

Hi everyone.....
Thank you sooooooo much for all your advice and well wishes....it was nice to get up this morning with words of support.
I will start my synthroid and not be afraid!!!! Im scared though but Im going to...haha
A couple of other things I was wondering about...
with hashis do you go through periods where you feel really good and then go into feeling bad again?! My thyroid itself will feel bigger when Im not feeling well and like today Im feeling good and I hardly feel it at all!!! Hmmm
Also, I hear you all talk about under medicating....will my low dose (ultimatly 50) be too low to do any good?
Do any of the woman have really bad periods one month i.e. heavy flow and bad pms and then other months hardly anything and no pms???? Thats me.
I too have long thick hair and I have to say, although the physical symptoms/mental symptoms are bad, watching my hair fall out is the most distressing...that and feeling bloated and gaining weight. Im only 5'2" and I have gone from 135 to 170 in the past 3 years....I watch what I eat and work out at leat 2 hours a day.....waaaaa.
I did recently lose 11 lbs and then I went out to dinner twice in one week and gained it ALL back...no lie...must be water weight.
Again, thanks for all your well wishes and comments...keep them coming I want to learn eveything...
Annette....woodbury mn is 7 minutes from downtown st paul and about 20 min from minneapolis!!! Im from LA and Hawaii.....dont like MN...your hubbys lucky he got out hahaha

Old 08-14-2003, 06:26 AM   #12

mauigal HB User
sorry about the double posts.....didnt think the first one went in.....

Old 08-14-2003, 07:09 AM   #13
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Maui,

I am also taking synthroid and I feel fine. Don't forget to take your supplements at a different time from your meds as they can prevent absorption of your meds. The same goes with calcium supplements. I take my multivitiamin in the evening. This board is such a great source of info and has helped me tremendously. One of the most important things I got from this site is to take selenium supplements. My thyroid seemed to be swelling so I took 100 mcgs of selenium and by the next day I felt some relief, by the third day my swelling was totally gone. So was my brain fog. I am also taking vitamin E 200 mgs with the selenium because they work together. Many studies have shown the people with thyroid disease have a selenium deficiency. If you aren't taking supplements you might want to try them. Be sure with selenium that you do not take over 400 mcgs, you really should start out on the lower end (100mcgs)first. Good luck to you.

Old 08-14-2003, 04:22 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Mauigal,
Yes with Hashi's you can feel good for a while and then feel bad, you can feel good and bad in the same day, ARGH!

Closed Thread