It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2003, 03:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Question RAI for cancer...please help

Hi,
I saw an endo over a week ago and was referred to a radiation oncologist for my RAI treatment. His nurse called me today and said I needed to have a blood test done next wed. to check my tsh and if it was above 35 I would go in for treatment next Thurs. I asked how long I would be staying in the hospital and she said I wouldn't stay...I'd go home that day. I said I would rather stay and she said that wasn't an option! Does this sound right? She said I would be getting between 125 and 150 millicuries of RAI. I thought they had to keep you for atleast 48 hours after receiving such a large amount.
On top of all this I haven't even started the LID yet because I assumed my treatment wouldn't be until Sept since my last surgery was july 23. I asked the nurse about this, too, and she said it wasn't necessary.
None of this sounds right to me and I'm not sure what to do. I don't know who else to ask about all of this. If I come right home after receiving the RAI, won't I be exposing everything to it?
I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
hilery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 06:33 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Aimee8396 HB User
Hilery, I too came home! I just kept myself in one room, and didn't venture out much. HAve you been off you meds? I would start LID ASAP, chances are your TSH won't be high enough if you're still on Cytomel. They had me off Cytomel for 2 weeks before my RAI. The half life of RAI is short, so it doesn't stay on your things, i.e. your bed will be fine, and everything you touch will be fine after 5 days. Just save your clothes and towelsa, sheets you use and keep them out for 3-5 days and wash them seperatly. everything will be fine. MAke sure your kids are away too. Also if you need time to arrange all this they can wait! There is nothing set in stone that this needs to be done now. I was told 6 weeks after surgery is normal, so it does sound like they're rushing it a bit. Also some drs, scoff at the idea of LID, do not listen to them. Doing it will increase the chances of not having to go through another round. Good luck, and keep us posted. Aimee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 07:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Thanks Aimee-

I didn't realize they could do RAI outpatient. I just stopped taking Cytomel today. So, I'll see if they can wait a couple weeks. I, also, want to be on the LID for 2 weeks.

Thanks again,
Hilery

Closed Thread