It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2003, 07:32 PM   #1

tenortime HB User
Unhappy thyroid symptoms?

I WAS a normal healty 32 year old male. I started feeling tired a few weeks ago and now I am so fatigued i cant do anything. I started with a tingling and numbness in my face and neck on the left side, accompanied by rapid heart beat. Went to the er and the CAT scan and blood work showed nothing. My vision, balance, and mental status are far from normal. My feet have been cold all the time. I am overweight. I have no appetite. MRI shows nothing abnormal. I am confused alot of the time, cant keep my brain on track. A few days ago I woke up with a lump in my throat. Feels like i have a peanut in there that will not go down. I am to the end of the string. Sound familiar??

Old 08-11-2003, 07:51 AM   #2

kael HB User
Hi Tenor -

Your symptoms could be caused by a lot of things - what makes you suspect thyroid (since you are here on the board) - Has your doctor run a blood panel to check your levels? That would be a logical next step and would answer many of your questions.

Keep us posted.
Kael

------------------
Practice Compassion...Heal The World

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2003, 11:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Normally, a person doesn't go to an ER for fatigue. Did you go because of the rapid heart beat and numbness? If so, they likely did heart and stroke evaluations. The bloodwork for those would not have included thyroid testing.

You have many of the symptoms that can be related to thyroid disease, and you must have tests specifically for that to find out for sure. The minimum tests you need are TSH, free T4, free T3, and thyroid antibodies.

Be warned that many primary doctors might not take your complaints seriously, because you are male and young. Many ignorant practioners will tell you that thyroid disease is a "woman's" thing. Politely insist upon the tests you need, for no other reason than to rule out thyroid trouble and move on to the other possibilities.

Old 08-11-2003, 05:21 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

windymoon HB User
Did your symptoms come on sudden? I can't speak for everyone else but 13 years ago it took a year for me to get to where you sound like you are now. I had thryoid cancer and it was a long year with doctor not beleiving I was sick. Your symptoms worry me. Are you on any kinds of thryoid medications? I had all these symptoms just last winter and yes it was sudden. I had a over dose of synthroid, but if this is not your case please have more testing done. One thing I am worried about is MS? Here are some of the symptoms for MS>>>Inability to speak words which one has in mind or to think of correct words, or inability to understand spoken or written words.
At the same time, you might find that some facial movements and jaw movements are also affected
Visual sensations arising from mechanical or electrical stimulation of the eyeball such as flashing lights when moving eyes
Sleeping Disorders Insomnia, irregular sleep pattern Swallowing problems
Slurred speech and related speech problems
Facial pain.<<< There are more symptoms so look it up, I had them wrote down since my GP was worried I had MS, I think you shall see a neurologists and have a MRI to rule this out! A young 32y/o man shall not have these problems! What does everyone else think? Please write back and let us know how you are doing. Plus please do not panic. Take care of yourself and keep in touch! Now if you have had these symptoms for a year and your doctor had rule out everything else you could have cfid or fibromyalogia, but not in a few weeks!~C

Old 08-12-2003, 06:37 AM   #5

tenortime HB User
Had an MRI and went to the neuro yesterday. She said she sees nothing but that they are going to do a spinal tap to rule out some other things. The twitching comes and goes and the pressure in my head does too. The faigue is always here though. Have to force myself to eat. Had some thyroid work done Friday and it should be back today I hope. Thanks for the support!

Old 08-12-2003, 08:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Please return and let us know what the tests find. Hope it's not long till you feel better!

Old 08-13-2003, 07:13 PM   #7

tenortime HB User
I got some results today, not much information about the thyroid except for the fact that the dr wants me to have a thyroid scan. Not sure about that or what that means. I know she did a blood test but I did not get to talk to her today about that. Any suggestions?

Old 08-15-2003, 07:35 AM   #8

kael HB User
Smile

Ask for a copy of your lab results including the normal ranges. Hopefully you got checked for Free T3 and T4 as well as TSH and antibodies? If not, at least get what they did do. Post your labs with the normal ranges here and people can help you understand them. It's possible that you did get checked for antibodies and it came back positive -- that could be a logical reason for a thyroid scan.

Don't be concerned, just be proactive. Knowledge is power! Keep us all posted!

Hugs,
Kael

------------------
Practice Compassion...Heal The World

Closed Thread