It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2003, 07:36 AM   #1

mirage0027 HB User
Post I have issues

For the last month I have had a constant sore throat, swollen (inflamed) tonsils and I still have this goiter. I've been seeing an endo and I have another appt. with him on Aug. 29 he is going to do a needle biopsy on a nodule I have. My question is Is my thyroid problems causing all these problems with my tonsils being so inflamed?

Old 08-15-2003, 08:12 AM   #2

kael HB User
I don't think that's likely, though I'm no doctor. Your tonsils swell because of infection. However, having said that... if your immune system is active because of trying to fight off a bug and you have thyroid antibodies it could probably trigger them to flare and attack your thyroid - thus making your goiter more noticeable. Did that make sense? Again, it's just a logical guess.

Tonsils are immune system related - they respond to an infection.

Hope that helps,
Kael

[This message has been edited by kael (edited 08-15-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 11:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Sinus problems and infections are related to thyroid, before being diagnosed and put on meds I would get the flu every year and was very sick and in bed for a week or more, (this was difficult with 2 small children) I would get freguent colds, sore throats etc. Frequent colds and sinus problems are listed as symptoms of a thyroid problem.
Your immune system is impaired, your thyroid affects everything in your body so it is possible that this problem is affected by your thyroid, it may not be completely because of it but can definately be worse when having thyroid problems.
By the way since being on meds I no longer get the frequent cold or the flu.

[This message has been edited by dea4 (edited 08-15-2003).]

Closed Thread