It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2003, 12:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
Post Has anybody ever heard of this? Is it valid?

Treating Hypothyroidism
There are basically two methods of improving a hypothyroid condition. One method involves the use of supplemental thyroid hormones. These hormones can be either synthetic, such as Synthroid, or natural hormones extracted from pigs, such as Armour. Another method involves supplying the thyroid gland with all the raw materials necessary for an increase in hormone production. These raw materials include specific iodine and non-hormone glandular supplements.

I prefer the second method as long as the thyroid gland is still at least partially working. Hormones are very powerful substances that must work in conjunction with each other. Because of this fact, the body has a very sophisticated system of checks and balances to help regulate hormone levels throughout the tissues. When a hormone (such as Synthroid or Armour) is artificially
introduced into the body, this delicate balance can be upset. Further, when you supply a hormone that a given gland would normally make on its own, you risk causing the gland to quit making that hormone. If that occurs, you will be forced to supplement the hormone daily for the rest of your life. On the other hand, if you can revitalize a depressed gland through the use of glandular supplements, the gland will naturally resume hormone production and you won't need indefinite treatment.

One of the most effective ways to rebalance the thyroid gland is to take a liquid iodine product called losol. Take four drops of losol in water each day for the first two weeks, and then reduce the dosage to two drops per day. (Note: Under no circumstances should
you ingest antiseptic or topical iodine. losol is the only form of iodine recommend for internal usage.) You can often find losol, made by TPCS Distributors, in larger health food stores. If you can't find it locally, you can order losol from Mountain Home
Nutritionals at 800-888-1415, ext. 9265.

If the losol alone does not seem to alleviate the symptoms of hypothyroidism, take three tablets of a glandular product called Thytrophin along with just one drop of losol per day. You can often take Thytrophin in place of prescription thyroid medications. Three tablets of Thytrophin are roughly equivalent to one grain of hormone. Thytrophin is made by a highly reputable and reliable company called Standard Process Labs.

In addition to using losol and Thytrophin, make sure that you're also using a good multi-vitamin and mineral product. Doing so will ensure that you're getting important trace minerals such as selenium (200 mcg per day) and other components necessary for the production and conversion of thyroid hormones.

Finally, take steps to reduce your exposure to estrogen-like compounds. Use organic cleansers, pesticides and other household products. And make the switch once and for all to distilled water.

The length of time needed to obtain results from treating hypothyroidism will vary from individual to individual. Most people begin to see a marked difference in their energy levels and mood within just a few days, but other problems may take longer to resolve. And while correcting an underactive thyroid won't reverse heart disease, it will stop its progression and most likely prevent a future heart
attack or heart failure. Once you've stopped the progress, you can begin reversing the problem through the use of high quality cardiovascular supplements, lecithin, fresh unsaturated fatty acids, and diet.

The above info is from an alternative medicine site. I don't know how valid the info is. I just know I'm getting really fed up with feeling so sickly all the time and am starting to grasp at straws!!

Marilyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 12:39 PM   #2
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User
>Quote: The above info is from an alternative medicine site. I
>don't know how valid the info is. I just know I'm getting really
>fed up with feeling so sickly all the time and am starting to
>grasp at straws!!

If you don't know how valid it is, WHY reprint the entire thing? Is it possible that you feel lousy because you are undermedicated? Or that you have a secondary condition that has not been diagnosed? A change in doctors may be all that's needed.

Old 08-15-2003, 12:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Phyl, I reprinted it to see if anyone here knew if this info was true or not. Most often someone here knows something about everything we post. This place is a melting pot of information!

Marilyn

Old 08-15-2003, 12:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
I can't say that I agree with the info from that source entirely. While it is possible to be hypo due to iodine deficiency, that is very rare in most developed countries due to the use of Iodized salt. Most of our food has Iodine in it.

Supplementing with Iodine when you don't need it can cause problems. It can cause you to go hyper, it can cause you to go more hypo, or it may do nothing at all. Also I can't recommend suplementing Iodine without supplementing Selenium.

On the subject of the Thytrophin, I Can see how it might help, if a nutritional deficiency is what caused the hypothyroidism. Often, that is not the case, and this supplement probably wouldn't help some people, but woudl make a difference for other.

I am all for supplementing and trying to correct andy health problem through lifestyle and nutritional changes first, and believe that doing that in an educated manner, knowing that something may or may not work can sometimes yield some surprising results. Knowing that, maybe you could try their advice. You have nothing to lose except some time and money, and stand to gain your health and freedom back (no more daily pills is only a dream for me).

On the other hand, one site that sells Thyrotrophin says this:
Quote:
Thytrophin is used to help support normal thyroid gland activity. It has no hormones within it and therefore will not replace Armour thyroid or Synthroid
SO, if your hypothyroidism is not caused by a deficiency of something in Thyrotrophin (i.e. antibodies have destroyed it, it has been removed, etc.), then it can't help you.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 08-15-2003, 01:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for responding Meep, I appreciate your opinion. The info and good advice from this site will help me make the decisions that will affect my health....hopefully in a postive way!

Marilyn

Closed Thread