It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2003, 12:11 PM   #1

burdhome HB User
Post frustrated and need HELP!

hi
I just got done talking to doctor after more tests and he says that there is nothing wrong. my results were as follows

TSH 3.45 range .5 to 4.0
TPO 36 range below 35 (antibodies)
ft4 1.05 range .8 to 2.0

now I had a TSH last week from outside lab that was 6.2
I think due to the fact that I had it done in the evening. this last one at 3.45 was done while fasting at 7am. the doctor now tells me that at these ranges they will not treat me.I informed him of the new ranges, he really didnt seem to care and said he had never heard of that. I am going crazy, have now lost probably 2/3 of my hair, have no energy, am having menstrual cycles every 10 days for 8 to 9 days at a time, have gained 20 pounds and dont know what to do. any ideas? also he says maybe I have lupus, does anyone know anything about that? also I have a very strong family history of hashimotos. would really appreciate any info i can get. sorry so long, just really frustrated.
thanks and have a great day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 12:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Get a new doc.

With a TSH above 3 and a family history of hashimotos you have a very good chance of having a thyroid problem.

Looks like they did one antibody test, when I had mine done they did thyroglobulin antibodies and thyroid peroxidase antibodies. Your FT4 is in a good area of the range, but with your symptoms I would also get an FT3 done and request some further testing but I would get a different doc, this one doesn't sound like he will be open to searching deeper to help you.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 01:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Wel, based on your labs, your Antibodies are very slightly elevated. Perhaps on another day, they would have been really high. Your TSH was also higher on another day. It can vary as much as that in 24 hours according to one thyroid textbook.

I feel that a second opinion is in order. Hang in there, and you will eventually get there.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 08-16-2003, 12:53 AM   #4

burdhome HB User
Wink

has anybody here ever been told that they may have lupus? my doctor is just going by my symptoms. I know a few are similar, but most dont fit with what i am going through but i will be having the tests done next week anyway to be sure. I also finally got him to refer me to an endo. after I yelled on the phone for thirty minutes, first he said it would take three weeks for appt. but I yelled again and guess what? I have an appt. for monday, imagine that lol.
take care everyone and any info would be much appreciated. thanks!!!

Old 08-16-2003, 05:28 AM   #5
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Autoimmune diseases, such as Hash and Lupus, often go "hand in hand".

I have Hash and 10 years ago was also diagnosed with UCTD (undifferentiated connective tissue disease), which can be a precursor to Lupus. In the meantime, I discovered through my own research that I have CFIDS, not the lupus-like illness. The problem is that CFIDS and Lupus symptoms look very much alike. A rheumatologist is needed to determine if you have Lupus, but I'm also followed by a rheumy for CFIDS.

What I'm trying to say is that it may take awhile for you to sleuth out, and feel assured of, your proper diagnosis. I wouldn't just rely on MD's to tell you what is wrong, though. Definitely you need the diagnostic tests, especially to determine your ANA level (through blood work), which is needed for the Lupus diagnosis. But you might also do a lot of research on your own.

All the best!

Peregrine

Closed Thread