It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2003, 05:32 AM   #1

Laxhoty216 HB User
Question hypothyroidism thyroid?

I just got back from the doctors after taking blood tests to see if i have hypothyroidism thyriod. If I do an need to start taking pills, how will my body change in the begining? I heard that you loose some weight at first?(I'm new here)

Old 08-16-2003, 09:05 AM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Yeah...while they are trying to find out the dose that's right for you, you will lose some weight, you might feel hot in temperature, feel your heart beating fast, feel restless or anxious etc. etc

You don't necessarily have to feel ANY of those, but the weight loss will most likely happen.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2003, 06:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
projapoti is a professional, but I am not sure I agree with all the information offered. Most of the thyroid patients I have spoken to end up losing weight later, rather than earlier in treatment, or they never lose weight at all.

The reason for this is that in the early stages of treatment, your body likely still doesn't have enough thyroid hormone to rais metabolism sufficiently to lose weith. Add to this the fact that many people experience increased appetite, and you see why weight loss might not happen at first.

The ones who never lose weight are mostly of two varieties. 1) Their doctors are conservative and end up under-treating the patient so that the dose is never high enough for true healing, though the labs are "normal". and 2) Patients who have developed bad llifestyle habits when they were hypo and continue these bad habits when their levels are optimized.

I was guilty of number 2 for a while. I still don't exercise like I should, but my diet and other lifedtyle choices are much more beneficial to my health, now.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Closed Thread