It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2003, 01:33 PM   #1

DeadPaladin HB User
Post new here ..if you know pls help..

9 months ago i ve had a panic attack
since then ive had growing anxiety untill today that my anxiety is present everyday.
2 months ago i was diagnosed with hypoclinic hiypothyroidism with my TSH levels at 5,6 and T3 T4 at normal values..
My thyroid is larger by 80mm right lobe and 50 mm left lobe...
My endocrinologist says that has nothin to do with my anxiety....my psychiatrist says it has lots to do with it..
Do any of you ever encountered such a situation??
Symptoms like my neck going to explode and neck pains are frequent...almost everyday ..
So can my thyroid at this stage produce an anxiety dissorder such as the one i have???
Pls if anyone can help i could apreciate it...

------------------
That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Old 08-15-2003, 02:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
I have heard of many many people complaining of anxiety and panic attacks, thyroid can cause a lot of strange and bothersome symptoms and yes those can be related to the thyroid problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 02:18 PM   #3
(female)

tigger326 HB User
Hi, I would like to tell you I understand. There are moments I want to pull my hair out. I freak out when I think something might happen to my son or husband or both. I have had panic attacks about the strangest things. I do blame my thyroid. It has wreked havoc on me for years. I can instinctively tell when it is out of whack. Last summer my tsh was 3.7 and I was told it was within normal so not to worry so now, a year later it is at 8 and I feel like I am going to die. I read on these boards that 1 - 2 is optimal so it is understandable I guess. I know what you are going through and I hope things get better.

[This message has been edited by tigger326 (edited 08-15-2003).]

Old 08-15-2003, 02:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
That's what happened to me when I first started getting really hypo/sick. I would get these horrible little rushes, kind of like I was driving and almost ran over a dog or something. It was adrenalin. At first they were sporadic, then it gradually became constant. I can't believe an endo dr. has never had patients decribe anything like that before. Maybe he's new. Did you get a copy of your labs. I'll bet "normal values" on you tests aren't optimal #'s for you. From what I understand, the only way to check your levels properly is with Free T3 and Free T4, also tests for antibodies. Most people feel best if their TSH is about 1 and their T3 and T4 are at the higher end of normal. Don't let your dr. make you doubt yourself. It seems you have to be pushy to get good care these days. Good Luck, IWL

Old 08-15-2003, 05:24 PM   #5

luke1 HB User
DeadPaladin
The following is from the book ‘The Thyroid Solution,’ by Ridha Arem, M.D.:
“Crippling Anxiety
In my clinical experience, anxiety is a much more common symptom of hypothyroidism than physicians generally acknowledge. Because anxiety and panic attacks are typical symptoms of hyperthyroidism, some patients with an underactive thyroid may become confused when they experience these symptoms yet are told they are hypothyroid. Anxiety can have a crippling effect on a person with an underactive thyroid accompanied by tiredness and depression.”
I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by luke1 (edited 08-15-2003).]

Old 08-15-2003, 06:07 PM   #6

ANNETTE H HB User
Lightbulb

Hi. Do you mean to say the endo said thyroid has nothing to with anxiety OR the psych said it? It sounds backwards.I am glad to see'The Thyroid Solution'quoted. It's a very good referance. To start out your reading on Hyop-T try 'Thyroid Power'very easy to follow.(or at least for me)I just picked up a NEW med dictionary,too.No matter what the lab reports show, you know how you feel! Are you on any thyroid medication yet? Iwannalife has a point about extensive lab work when the first are too normal for how you feel.I'm not too sure about the mm's but my thyroid is larger on the right than the left side. Don't be surpised at any thing that happens.Keep a record of what goes on. If they start you on Synthroid take sa instructed!! Hang in there! It takes a lot to get this balanced out!

Old 08-16-2003, 01:58 AM   #7

DeadPaladin HB User
Guys thanx a lot for the advice...
The exact lab tests were 5 months ago...

T3: 1.3 (0.8-2)
T4: 7.22 (5-11)
TSH: 4.27 (0.3-5)
FT3:3.3 (2.3-6.6)
FT4:1.35 (0.8-2.4)
TG:0.19 (<50)
ANTI-TG: 16 (0-150)
ANTI-MICRO: 15 (0-140)

2,5 months ago

T4:7.3 (5-11)
T3:1.45 (0.8-2)
TSH:5.6 (0.3-5)

2 months ago I've started taking l-thyroxyne-sodium (T4)on 0,15 mg daily but at the first dose i ve had one of my worst panic attacks and i recovered about a day later ... all the doctors said it was phobia about the pill...as T4 takes about 8 days to produce levels at my body...

If anyone has any suggestions of what is going on with me pls write them down ..

I am going to talk to my endo this week and try to start a new therapy along with making new blood tests.
I am on benzodiazepine therapy now because of my freakin everyday and everyhour anxiety which makes me unable to even walk or talk at times of the day...
Thank you very much for your support i really appreciate this..

------------------
That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Old 08-16-2003, 02:00 AM   #8

DeadPaladin HB User
oops i forgot mentioning ....after the first dose and the panic attack i just stopped therapy...tried to contact my endo...but couldnt dind him until this week...so practically i am not on medication...
thanx again

Old 08-17-2003, 03:32 AM   #9

daldre1269 HB User
Yes, definitely..... very definitely your anxiety and panic attacks can be related to your thyroid. My mother suffered for years and years with this but was told it was all in her head and they put her on psych drugs... poor thing.

She is relieved of the anxiety.... completely now that she is on armour. She tried synthroid and the panic came back full force.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by daldre1269 (edited 08-17-2003).]

Old 08-17-2003, 07:10 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
DP...
I tend to think the panic attack you had when you took the first pill was coincidence. You've been having them for some time now anyway; you just happened to have another one after taking the pill. It usually takes two weeks for the med to begin saturating the cells of the body; just one pill is not likely to have caused the problem.

If it is the hypo causing the attacks ~ and I agree with everyone that it probably is ~ the only way you can get a handle on it is with T4 supplementation. With your doctor's approval to continue, you really must try to trust that it's in your best interest to give the med more time to work.

Wishing you the best.

[This message has been edited by midwest1 (edited 08-17-2003).]

Closed Thread