It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2003, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

samrhett2 HB User
Post test results. what now?

Here are my test results. What do I do now?

TSH 2.223 0.350-5.550
Thyroxine T4 9.4 4.5-12.0
T3 Uptake 30 24-39
Free Thyroxine Index 2.8 1.2-4.9
Anti-Thyroid Antibodies
Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab <10 0-34
Thyroid Antithyroglobulin Ab <20 0-40
Thyroxine (T4 Free, Direct, s
T4, Free (Direct) 1.37 0.61-1.76

I am on 50 mcg of Lexoxyl. The doctor says all these tests are in the normal ranges. I have posted my symptoms before, but please bear with me just one more time.

I wake with sweat pouring from my brow, neck and scalp.
thinning and dry hair
depressiong and anxiety
feeling like I can't catch my breath
weakness and fatigue
feel like I am dying
bouts of all over itching
acne or boils in my bikini line
nail fungus
frequent urination
bloating, alternating periods of diarreah and constipation.
Inability to lose even a pound no matter how little I eat.

All other blood work from my doctor came back completely normal also.

Does anybody have a clue what else could be causing this? Thanks.

Old 08-16-2003, 06:00 PM   #2

kael HB User
Just a couple of quick questions - have you had your urine checked? Some of your symptoms sound like a possible UTI - also, how old are you - some of your symptoms sound like perimenopause symtpoms too (and I should know, lol!) You mentioned you are on other meds too - could any of this be side effects?

Trying to think of all the possibilities to help you out.

Hugs,
Kael

------------------
Practice Compassion...Heal The World

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2003, 06:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Coudl be Candida infection, especially in light of the nail funbgus you mentioned. That is something to look into.

Your thyroid labs look very good. I liek to see TSH lower, but your T4 and Free T4 are right in the sweet spot where most people feel their best.

The one think conspicuously missing from your thyroid panel is a REAL T3 test. T3-Uptake has nothing to do with your T3 levels. IT is possible that your T3 is off, and that's why your TSH is still a little higher than what some of us feel well with.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 08-17-2003, 06:13 PM   #4
(female)

samrhett2 HB User
Thanks Kael and Meep,
It has taken me awhile to respond because I am so depressed, I have spent most of the weekend in bed. I have defininately thought about the menopause thing. For two years I have asked my OB/GYN to test me and both years they refused, just saying they think it is side effects of my bi-polar meds. If it is, I don't know what I would do anyway, because they don't put people on hormones anymore anyway, do they?

And why would they do all those tests and leave out the Free T3? I specifically asked for it! All I know is when they put me on Armour or Cytomel, it screwed my stomach up something terrible. Even worse than it is now.

Do you have any websites on Candida? I do have reoccurring yeast infections. They never completely do away.

Right now I have bad chest congestion and laryngitis (sp?) The doctor told me to get over that and then come back in three weeks. If I still feel bad, he is going to send me for some gastro testing.

I really would like to kill myself. My life is just not worth living anymore. I go to work and lay in bed the rest of the time. It has been four years of hell with no end in sight. I won't kill myself because I don't have the guts and I have a child that depends on me, but it sure would be some welcome relief. I feel like I can't stand one more day of feeling like crap and I'm so mad at everyone who gets the luxury of waking up and feeling good.

I don't have the energy to keep searching or caring about what is wrong with me. I'm tire of trying new doctors and trying to get them to care and going over the symptoms and trying to make them believe me. I'm tired of trying to smile and be polite when I feel like I'm dying. I'm especially tired of people asking me when I'm due to deliver, when I barely eat anything at all.

Sorry for whinning. I'll probably be leaving here now and going back to the depression board, since that seems to be where I guess I belong. Thanks for everyone's support.

Old 08-18-2003, 12:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Samrhett2, Don't give up. My levels have always been considered normal(they never did the free T3). I got to a point(oh many times) that I just couldn't fight for me anymore. Wanted to either die or get better, didn't care which. Finally just got angry and wouldn't take no for an answer. If you're not converting T4 to T3(which you can tell with a free T3), you won't get better without help. If you've read much on this board then you'll see how many people got anti-depressants thrown at them, or were told it was menopause, when they just needed their hypo fixed. Cry a little, then pick yourself back up. A few of your symptoms probably have nothing to do with being hypo, but most of them fit. The people I know that are on bi-polar meds do not feel ill.(okay a couple are a little flaky, but physically healthy ) You need to get the free T3 to at least rule out a problem. I'm not really sure what peri-menopause is. I'm 50 and have no hot flashes or signs that my cycle(every 28 days, Mon. morning 9:30) are coming to an end. I do use progesterone cream because it is good for your adrenal glands and I have read it helps with menopause. I had every gastro test known to man(and beast) and they didn't find anything. I had tests for heart, pulmonary, arterial blood gases(ouch), wore heart monitors(two kinds), tests for carpal tunnel, treatment for candida(that helped my stomach for a little while), nasal surgery and sleep apnea surgery and almost every other test you can think of. All the while they were testing me, I kept saying, you know I really feel like it's my thyroid . I am on Armour and I know you had trouble with it, but since you're already having trouble, it may be worth another try, depending on your T3. I think if you've been deprived of T3 long enough, it can be like feeding a rich meal to someone dying of starvation. Two months ago I was in the same boat you are and now I'm about 900% better than I was. Still got some healing to do, but now that I know I can get better, I'll do what it takes. Meanwhile if you haven't already, go look up adrenal fatigue and follow Dr. Lam's protocol or something similar to it. It will help cut down on your body's stress responses. Hugs, IWL

Old 08-18-2003, 07:52 AM   #6

kael HB User
Smile

Hi Sam -

I agree with IWL (great post!!) Do not give up. "This is a test, only a test..." - you are actually finding out how strong you really are, we all are in the same boat.

In response to your statement about hormones - I have done TONS of research on them because of all the symptoms I started having this last year. There are many doctors who work with formulating pharmacies and create bio-identical hormone creams that you rub on your skin - it is not the same thing as taking synthetic hormones. If you want more information on it, type in bioidentical hormone replacement into your search engine on the net and you'll find plenty of good info. All of these hormones - including adrenals and thyroid work together in a delicate balance.

Please keep looking after yourself. I feel your frustration, and I've only been ill for 4 months, but I wanted out of my body so badly for a while. Like you, I have children (5) who need me and who I love more than anything in the world ... not only do they deserve you to feel better, YOU deserve you to feel better. We can all be strong for you here when you can't be strong for you there.

Big Hugs,
Kael

------------------
Practice Compassion...Heal The World

Closed Thread