It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2003, 03:08 PM   #1

RoGracie HB User
Exclamation Super High TSH 22.7...anyone else?

I have had Graves Disease for 8 years, 4 years ago I had a total thyroidectomy. My levels have been up and down within moderation. I take Levothroid, Cytomel, Rocaltriol, Atenolol and lotsa calcium daily. I let four hours pass after I take my thyroid hormones before I take any of my calcium meds. I have not changed anything in my diet or meds and my TSH reading last week was 22.7, T3 65, FT4 0.9 and last month everything was normal, TSH 1.9, FT4 1.2, T3 90. Has this ever happened to anyone and what did you do about it. What could it be? I am at my wits end. About 8 months ago I had a TSH spike of 19.8, but my T3 was normal. ANY IDEAS???

Old 08-13-2003, 06:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
By any chance do you have the ranges for your lab? this will help in decifering your test results a little better.
I don't have an answer for you but I will bump your post up so hopefully MEEP will see it, I'm sure he will have some advice for you.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2003, 07:27 PM   #3

kael HB User
I'm curious about your situation too!!! BUMP

Kael

------------------
Practice Compassion...Heal The World

Old 08-15-2003, 12:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
RoGracie, Did you take your meds before your blood test? That can throw your results off, especially the Cytomel. Can I ask how old your are? I had Graves in 1996 and I have no thyroid now. For the first 3 years, things were fairly stable. For the last 3 1/2 years I flunked every lab test I took. Too high, too low, then they would raise and lower my meds every 3 months or so. I was seeing an endo who is supposed to be very good, but all I got was a headache from being patted on the head and a "I'll see you in three months". Three months became a life sentence that made me cry and give up for a long time. They also tried to put me on Atenolol because my bp was all over the place. It made me very ill, so I quit. Anyway, switched to Armour, no high bp anymore. I'm on the right track I think. Anyway, sometimes there's no known reason for everything to change. You really wouldn't think we would have that many fluctuations with no thyroid, but it happens. Do you have very many symptoms? Hope you can get to the bottom of this. Don't forget to post your lab ranges. Is that T3 a free T3? LOL IWL

Old 08-18-2003, 11:26 AM   #5

RoGracie HB User
I am 23 years old. I have not had a thyroid for 4 years and I have been very symptomatic since. My T3 was a Free T3 and at a level of 67 and my TSH was 22.7. I took another blood test last week, one week exactly after the first test, and my TSH is now 10. The normal range for TSH is now thought to be 0.3-3. I have tried to stay current on all that is happening in this field but it is difficult. I am currently taking Atenolol, Levothroid .125, and Cytomel 25mcg. I have been on Atenolol for over a year, and I know it is the culprit for many of my symptoms. Since my levels are hardly ever in the normal range I experience either Hyper or Hypo symptoms and I generally run the full gamut of symptoms. Right now I am just extremely tired and it is that bone numbing fatigue that makes you want to drink 50 cups of coffee just so you can hold a decent conversation. I am irritable, sore as hell, jittery, restless legs and roving muscle cramps. My eyes go in and out of blurriness and my skin is really dry. I feel like a wreck and I am just waiting for my levels to normal out so I can walk up a flight of stairs without feeling like rolling back down them. Also, because of my thryoidectomy I have developed hypoparathyroidism. I take 2.4 gms of calcium twice a day. I time it so I take the calcium four hours after I take my hormones so I don't know if there is still a risk with them interfering with the absorbtion of my thryoid hormones. I can relate with the endo experience. She is a great doctor, very helpful, I can usually reach her by phone whenever I feel symptomatic, but it is the same routine: Get tested, adjust meds, test again next month, treat symptoms, blah blah blah.

I am craving a normal life, at least for over a month!!! I know you all have similar problems and issues and I just feel like the medical community is just catching on...Hurry Up!

Thanks for your replies...

Closed Thread