It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2003, 05:32 AM   #1

doyle5 HB User
Question What are antithyroglobulin antibodies?

What are antithyroglobulin antibodies, mine are within normal range now but I have no idea what it is or what happens when it is high or low. Sorry this might be a stupid question but I wasn't given any info when the doc office alled with results.
Thanks, Annette

Old 08-17-2003, 05:34 AM   #2

doyle5 HB User
I do know that my TPO is elevated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2003, 06:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Thyroglobulin antibodies and thyroid peroxidase antibodies are the thyroid autoantibodies that docs check to see if they are elevated and if so it indicates Hashimoto's thyroidititus.

Old 08-17-2003, 09:00 AM   #4
Inactive

projapoti HB User
dea is right. What the thyroglobulin and thryoid peroxidase antibodies are, are particles made by your immune system which are directed at destroying the above. Sounds kinda stupid eh? Why would your body be making antibodies against itself? Well, that's what medicine has been primarily trying to fix for the 60-70 years. Just like rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, diabetes etc. etc. hashi's is a disease where your immune system thinks the very body that it's trying to protect is the enemy. Pretty nasty if you ask me.

Old 08-18-2003, 08:59 AM   #5

confusedbody HB User
Question

Does Hashi's occur w/ only 1 type of antibody present, or does tpo have to be elevated? To rule out Hashi's my doc only ordered TPO-anti testing, which came back neg.

Old 08-18-2003, 09:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User
My antibodies were negative, but my Fine Needle Biopsy concluded that it was Hashi's, you can't go by antibodies alone, to make a diagnosis.

Old 08-18-2003, 10:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by confusedbody:
Does Hashi's occur w/ only 1 type of antibody present, or does tpo have to be elevated? To rule out Hashi's my doc only ordered TPO-anti testing, which came back neg.
To DEFINITIVELY diagnose Hashimoto's requires a biopsy of thyroid tissue. TPO and/or Thyroglobulin antibodies are often indicative of possible or likely Hashimoto's, but cannot definitively diagnose it.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 08-18-2003, 10:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Meep:
To DEFINITIVELY diagnose Hashimoto's requires a biopsy of thyroid tissue. TPO and/or Thyroglobulin antibodies are often indicative of possible or likely Hashimoto's, but cannot definitively diagnose it.

MEEP, this is very interesting, why then would one have antibodies if it is not Hashi's? What would cause there to be thyroid antibodies? Does anyone with thyroid problems have antibodies? or is there another underlying condition that can cause one to have thyroid antibodies? I know antibodies indicates Hashi's, just wondering if it can mean something else.

[This message has been edited by dea4 (edited 08-18-2003).]

Old 08-18-2003, 11:35 AM   #9

doyle5 HB User
Hi! I had the fine needle biopsy (for a nodule) results came back that 1 of the 3 smears looked suspicious. The lab suggested that you need to rule out Hashi's, if it is not hashi's another biopsy needs to be done. I had antibodies test TPO was elevated. So Meep is correct.
Annette

Old 11-27-2006, 03:10 PM   #10
(male)

enigmatics HB User
Re: What are antithyroglobulin antibodies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea4
MEEP, this is very interesting, why then would one have antibodies if it is not Hashi's? What would cause there to be thyroid antibodies? Does anyone with thyroid problems have antibodies? or is there another underlying condition that can cause one to have thyroid antibodies? I know antibodies indicates Hashi's, just wondering if it can mean something else.

[This message has been edited by dea4 (edited 08-18-2003).]
I have been confused by this too for the longest time.

Closed Thread