It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2003, 07:56 AM   #1

kael HB User
Smile Is it better to take meds at night or in the morning?

I am having terrible trouble with insomnia. I get to sleep fine at first but within the next few hours, I'm wide awake like I'd slept all night - my mind is fully engaged and I can't get back to sleep for hours, then when I do, it's constant dreaming and waking up several times an hour.

I used to take my meds before bed until everyone here said to take them first thing in the a.m. I wonder if it's making a difference in my sleeping?

I also have started experiencing acid reflux (which I've never had before!) Could this be because of my recent change from Levoxyl to Synthroid and a doseage increase? It's awful!

Any imput is welcome.

Hugs,
Kael

BTW - Thank you again for all the love and concern from those who posted to my plea for support yesterday - I really needed it!! It made my day much better!

------------------
Practice Compassion...Heal The World

Old 08-15-2003, 08:22 AM   #2

Blaana HB User
I just wanted to comment on the acid reflux. I started having that about a month ago along with asthma and it got very bad quickly. I am alot better now but it took several weeks before I could sleep without sitting straight up. I am taking protonix for it and it is helping. Acid reflux can do alot of damage as well as causing asthma so you might want to get something for it. Or at least do the following: don't lie down for 2-3 hours after eating, elevate the head of the bed, avoid spicy foods and overeating, and there are also foods to avoid, I can't remember everything and I've misplaced my notebook where I wrote it down.
I take my thyroid meds early in the morning.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 08:31 AM   #3
(female)

tigger326 HB User
Hi, thanks for responding to my post below! Support means alot!

I just started taking my synthroid at night because of the need to not take supplements, calcium, soy etc, within 4 hours of it. I found that difficult. Now, I take it about 10:00 at night and my vitamin in the morning. Right now I have a headache and have since about 5:00 a.m. but don't think it is from the synthroid. (Of course, who knows? LOL!) My main side effect lately is excess salivia. I have to swallow all the time AND it feels like there is something stuck in my throat.

I can't see why it would matter whether it is taken in the a.m or p.m. Maybe someone else will have that answer.

Jennifer

Old 08-15-2003, 09:22 AM   #4

bobv18 HB User
It sounds to me that you might be overmedicated. If your having trouble sleeping and you have just developed acid reflux - both of these are hyper symptoms.

I was overmedicated on synthroid, and began to have acid reflux, couldn't sleep through the night, started having stomach problems, and I began to lose weight. Basically my metabolism started to go up.

This also might be caused from your body adjusting to the new meds...just an idea.

Old 08-15-2003, 09:41 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User
I use to take my meds at night until I was told it was better to take them in the morning. I sleep much better now since I changed from taking them at night.

Old 08-15-2003, 10:23 AM   #6
KarenDesmondC

I am also taking my meds in the AM. I get up an hour early, take the Armour and cytomel, with a full glass of water and go back tobed for 1 hour. I think this is working as I am feeling slightly better. I understand soy products interfere with thyroid supplements, so I am stopping soy to see.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-15-2003, 12:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Some people report better results when taking them at night, and some report better results taking them in the morning. Try taking it at night for a few weeks and see what happens. You have nothing to lose by taking it either way.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 08-16-2003, 08:44 PM   #8

hyzenthlay HB User
my new doc insisted on a specific method of taking the pill. first thing up waking up with a full glass of water. nothing else but water for a minimum of an hour.

i also have insomnia and for a short period a few weeks ago there was nighttime acid reflux. is that related to hypothyroidism? i had no idea.

Old 08-18-2003, 07:24 PM   #9

ANNETTE H HB User
Lightbulb

Hi. Synthroid should be taken in the morning.As the others have said,take it with water at least one hour before eating or drinking. Minerals, caffeine ,soy, smoking and alcohol all interfer with Synthroid. Any of these ,if taken at all, should be taken no sooner than 4 hours. It looks like lots of reading is going on, most drs don't know this much! bobv18 is right about trouble sleeping coming from being over medicated. Remember, if you still have a thyroid gland it is still possible for it to put out hormones. Add this to your reg RX looks like being over medicated. This has happened to me several times. It gets very confusing and very upsetting to the body. Why did you change from Levoxyl to Synthroid? As for the reflux talk to your dr. Good luck and relax!

Old 08-18-2003, 07:38 PM   #10

kael HB User
Wink

Hi - my new endo switched me though I've been on levoxyl for years - I guess he just likes it better, but quite honestly, I'm about to leave him and go to a different doctor. I called 3 times last week and left a very specific message with the receptionist and they never got back to me. I just had new labs drawn today, so I will have the results by the end of the week, then I am going to take them elsewhere to someone who is a little more holistically based. This doc treats the TSH only and only with synthetic T4, period. When I asked about selenium today, the nurse said that the doctor knows nothing about it. What's up with all these endo's who are supposed to specialize and they don't know much at all about the thyroid - I don't get it!!

Anyhow, my last labs showed hypo (always have been) and my TSH was 9. something. However, my TSH has been all over the place in the last 2 months. What was weird is that my total T4 is also very high. But since my free T3 and T4 levels were low, he upped my meds, and then wanted me to up them two weeks later again, but I refused without another blood draw because I feel hyper.

My stomach is already better - thanks. It was only for the first week after he switched me to synthroid - now I think I've adjusted!

Kael

I don't know - I feel confused!!!!

------------------
Practice Compassion...Heal The World

Closed Thread