It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2003, 05:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
Post Does anyone here know anything about cortisol levels?

Seems that when people talk about thyroids, the words cortisol and adrenals frequently pops into the conversation. I don't know much about them, but do know that our cortisol levels are higher in the morning, and get lower as the day goes by? The reason I ask is that I always feel lousy when I get up in the morning, and by afternoon, I'm a little better, but still don't feel well. After dark, I usually feel REAL good, then come morning it starts all over again. I'm also fighting hyperthyroidism, so wonder if this has something to do with how I feel as the day goes by?

My doc had initially ordered a TSH test for me Friday, but I left a note at the clinic today requesting a Free T3 and Free T4 also, and she called me and said "no problem, I'll order the full panel"...WHOA!!!!!! Can't believe it!

Marilyn

Marilyn

Old 08-18-2003, 07:43 PM   #2

burdhome HB User
hi, I dont know alot about it but today my endo did a cortisol test on me because he also dx me with hashi's today and said he wanted to make sure I didn't have a problem with my adrenal glands. he said that It could be dangerous treating my hypo without knowing if my adrenals were working correctly. although he did start me on 50mcgs of levothroid. I hope this helps, I am still trying to figure out what the adrenals do lol. to test you for it they give you a shot that stimulates the cordisols, you wait for an hour and then give blood, I will post again when I get more info from my doc about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2003, 08:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
I know doctors are supposed to do some tests like you mentioned BEFORE they treat our thyroid, but most don't. If we already have an adrenal problem, and they treat our thyroid, we crash bigtime. The adrenals are those little organs that store our adrenelin. So when we get in a panic mode, it shoots adrenelin into our systems. When we're really messed up, they release adrenelin all the time, and we are nervous wrecks, have anxiety and panic attacks. It can really be awful.

Yeah, let me know what you find out about your cortisol tests....maybe I'll understand it a little better then. I just read that up to 40% of all people with hypothyroidism, also have adrenal insufficiency. Wow.

Marilyn

Old 08-19-2003, 04:54 AM   #4

DeadPaladin HB User
ok ...first of all ...adrenals make part of the andocrinologic system of our body they are glands such as thyroid ,thymus ,hypofysis etc
They produce the steroids wich are proteins (hormones) that have many uses to our organism.
adrenaline ,epinefrine,cortisol,acth and others are produced by our adrenals.
Cortisol is one of the steroids called glucocorticoids
which are proteins that control metabolism along with many other uses.
cortisol is a protein used to many mteabolic processes.also takes part in the defence mechanisms of the body.Cointrols in a way blood pressure and if there are possibilities to produce mood dissorders if its levels are high or low
The reason that an endo should makes tests of cortisol and acth(more important) is that if there is a dissorer with those hormones therapy on hypo or hyperthyroidism or any other endocrinic dissorder should be carefully done.
Of course high or low levels of these hormones in blood or urine decline a problem with hypofysis or adrenals.
I wish you're enlightened a bit now :PPPP

------------------
That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Closed Thread