It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2003, 05:29 PM   #1

courtney28 HB User
Post Thanks so much!

Hilery and Stacey, I appreciate everything that you have shared with me so much. I am just curious as to why the Dr. decided to take out my entire thyroid, rather than just the side that the tumor was on (as I understand was done with both of you). Does this indicate that the Dr. thinks it is malignant? The Dr. said that the tumor was soft which makes him think it is benign - so why remove the entire gland? I had it removed on 8/6 so it has been about two weeks - still no results.

As to the hair loss, I had so much thick hair before (it was unruly and frizzy). I used to complain about it, now I miss it so much. I will try the rosemary oil as it has also become very dry, thanks for that tip.

Also, can anything be done to help the scar heal as well as possible. The Dr. said not to put anything on it, but have you heard otherwise? I want it to heal nicely.
Thanks so much for your help, Courtney
also, what does RAI consist of?

[This message has been edited by courtney28 (edited 08-18-2003).]

Old 08-19-2003, 07:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Courtney,
You're Dr. probably removed your entire thyroid because of the size of your tumor (not because he thought it was malignant). My tumor was 2.2 cm and confined to my left lobe. So, my Dr. wanted to make sure it was malignant before she removed all of my thyroid. I wish I would have had it all removed at once. I hated having 2 surgeries.
The fact that your tumor was soft is a very good sign. Most malignant tumors are hard.

As for your scar, I don't know of any specific product that will help it to heal. My Dr. told me to wait awhile before I used any creams or lotion on it to prevent it from getting infected. My first scar looked pretty good, but after my 2nd surgery it doesn't look so great. I also have a lot of scar tissue behind it.

Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatment (for thyroid cancer) is used after surgery to kill off any remaining thyroid tissue. It makes sure that thyroid cancer doesn't have a chance to develop anywhere else in the body and destroys it if it has. There is more information about this in the Information Archive on the 2nd page. I'll bump it up for you.

I hope this helps!
Hilery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread