It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2003, 09:02 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Post Testing......Meep

I go back to my doctor tomorrow. He prescribed Armour for me but told me he would probably have to refer me to an endo for follow up since he's not very familiar with it. I'm going to try to give him the information he needs and see if I can keep from seeing the endo. The endo on my insurance is the one I saw for 3 1/2 years who couldn't HEAR ME.

I'm still on 180mg, so he'll be horrified, since he prescribed 90mg. What I need to know is for the blood test. I need a free T3, free T4 and the TSH. Do I really need any of the other tests? The free T3 & T4 are supposed to be at the high end of normal, right? Is one supposed to be higher than the other? What is the lowest the TSH can be? I was pretty much bedridden when it was 3.7. Last thing is I still have some hypo symtoms, but feel kind of like they did when they tried to up my T4 and I couldn't do it(nervous), so I think I'm going to end of needing some extra T3. How much do they usually start with? I doubt I'll be able to talk this dr. into that, so may have to pay for my own endo. I would also like to test my adrenals. What should I ask for? Thanks for your help. LOL IWL

[This message has been edited by Iwannalife (edited 08-20-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2003, 11:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Looks like Meep still has a life outside "THYROID WORLD". If anyone else knows any of these answers, that would be great. Thanks, IWL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 08:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Wink

Hehehe, I am unemployed and looking for a job while playing Mr. Mom during the day, so my time ps pretty tied up... Hang in there.

Many people feel their best with Fre T3 and Free T4 at the high end of the renages, BUT it is better to aim for the middle and tweak up from there if needed.

Both shoudl ideally be at the same point in their respective ranges. Most people on Armour have higher T3 than T4, though. That's why I also take Unithroid--to get my Free T4 a little higher.

The lowest TSH can be is zero. Most doctors FREAK if they see a low TSH, but as long as Free T3 and FRee T4 stay in range, there is no risk. My TSH has to be less than .01 and even then, my Free T3 and Free T4 can be very low in the range.

The fact that you still have symptoms may just be that you aren't giving it wnough time. It can take months or even YEARS for all symptoms to resolve in extreme cases. Keep a symptoms journal and refer back to older entries every few months. You'll be amazed to find that you actually DO feel much better over time. It is just that the changes are so slow that we don't notice them from day to day.

You SHOULD get adrenals tested, but gettign adrenals tested is harder than talking a doc into testing Free T3. Good luck. I woudl suggest an 8am Cortisol level, then an ACTH Stim test. The book From Fatigued to Fantastic by Dr. Jacob Teitlebaum has advice on how to interpret the results on page 250 of the second printing (yellow cover rather than the older red cover).

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 08-20-2003, 11:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Thanks so much Meep. I'm unemployed too but spending alot of time flying to San Diego to take care of my 80 year old parents. NO STRESS THERE!!! Can't wait to go back to work. I actually feel like I could, especially a night job. I feel great at night and still kind of lousy in the A.M. Hope you're doing fun summer things with the kids! IWL

Closed Thread