It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2003, 04:03 PM   #1
(female)

USAFMOM HB User
Post Seeking goiter/nodule info

Hello! I frequent the osteoporosis board as I am 41 and diagnosed with osteopenia. I went to the endocrinologist today for the osteopenia, and she incidentally found a thyroid nodule/goiter, as she called it. We did not discuss this in detail as I was there for the osteopenia, but she simply said she wanted to get an ultrasound of the thyroid and do blood tests. My ultrasound isn't scheduled for six weeks yet. Thyroid functions were drawn today, however. The last time these were checked was in Dec of last year and were normal. This is something I really don't know too much about. Can anyone give me some insight as to the cause, symptoms, and treatment? Thanks much!

Old 08-19-2003, 05:07 PM   #2

ANNETTE H HB User
Lightbulb

Hi. Thyroid goiters or nodules are the BEST first signs. They can be seen and treated before any other sign.I had a doctor(a friend)check my neck every time he saw me because of the swelling but never really said what to do about it. I was about 25 but not tested until a year later. Sure enough,Hypo-T with goiter. That was 26 years ago and have been on Synthroid. Last month the goiter acted up and the symptoms all started again. I have moved ,so started w new dr and had ultrasound. Went w info for 2nd opinion. Now have appt in Nov for third, I am looking for someone who has read at least as many books on thyroid disease as I have. Reading is our best defense! I like Thyroid Power, by Shames,to start with. This Board is one of the greatest tools I've seen!!!!! Keep reading and writing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2003, 05:37 PM   #3
(female)

USAFMOM HB User
Thank you Annette for that info. If it is a simple nodule, and not a goiter, does a nodule necessarily indicate hypo or hyper-T? Or could it just be a simple, asymptomatic nodule posing no harm. I'm sure my thyroid function studies will indicate this, but I probably won't know the results of this until my next office visit in six weeks.

Old 08-19-2003, 07:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
USAFMOM, A goiter is actually just an enlarged thyroid. It isn't necessarily a nodule. Thyroid can be enlarged due to antibodies with normal labs. Make sure they do all the thyroid tests. It's actually good if they catch the enlarged thyroid before you get a lot of awful hypo or hyper symptoms. You can skip a step in treatment that most of us wish we could have. Take care. IWL

Old 08-20-2003, 05:21 AM   #5
(female)

USAFMOM HB User
Thanks IWL. I had read that a large percentage of people have nodules on the thyroid and are mostly benign. Other than the potential problem structurally and positionally, do these nodules affect the function of the thyroid as far as hormonal functions?

Old 08-20-2003, 06:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Apparently some do and some don't. I'm sorry that simple answer just keeps slipping away. The only things predictable about thyroid disease is it's almost never fatal and about half of us can blame our mothers for it. IWL

Old 08-20-2003, 06:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Apparently some do and some don't. I'm sorry that simple answer just keeps slipping away. The only things predictable about thyroid disease is it's almost never fatal and about half of us can blame our mothers for it. IWL

Old 08-20-2003, 09:09 AM   #8
(female)

USAFMOM HB User
That's interesting. Thank you again for your input.

Old 08-20-2003, 09:19 AM   #9
(female)

adderall_angel HB User
Wink

They have to do an ultrasound to test the virtual substance of the lump. Blood test check the function of the thyriod. If you are concerned, get them to schedule the ultrasound sooner. They need to find out what it is... the "books for dummies" people make an issue called "The Thyroid for Dummies". I consider myself a dummy when it came to thyroid jargan It helped educate me a little on the subject and prepare for consultation with my GP.

Old 08-20-2003, 10:53 AM   #10
(female)

brookeysma HB User
Hi USAFMOM. I was diagnosed with multinodular goiter 1 1/2 years ago and all of my labs were normal. There are different types of nodules (Hot, warm & cold). Hot are producing too much horomone, warm are normal functioning ones and cold are not producing any thyroid hormone which means that they are not part of the thyroid. The different types are detected by thyroid scan. If you labs come back normal, you most likely either have cold or warm nodules. Most likely what will happen next is that you will have the ultrasound and if you have any nodules larger than 1 cm, they will most likely want to do an FNA on them (fine needle aspiration). Some nodules can be treated with meds, some can be treated with RAI and some may just be left alone unless they are bothersome to you. In my case, I had a lot of discomfort in my neck so I had my thyroid removed 4 weeks ago only to find out that one of my nodules was abnormal on biopsy and it was a lot larger than expected (3x1.5 cm). No wonder why I hurt...LOL...I guess what I was trying to say as I was babbling on above is that they may leave the nodules alone or they may not...There are a lot of different criteria that they follow. Please keep us posted on your results and try and see if you can push the ultrasound up....waiting is a horrible feeling! Best of luck!

Old 08-20-2003, 10:53 AM   #11
(female)

brookeysma HB User
Hi USAFMOM. I was diagnosed with multinodular goiter 1 1/2 years ago and all of my labs were normal. There are different types of nodules (Hot, warm & cold). Hot are producing too much horomone, warm are normal functioning ones and cold are not producing any thyroid hormone which means that they are not part of the thyroid. The different types are detected by thyroid scan. If you labs come back normal, you most likely either have cold or warm nodules. Most likely what will happen next is that you will have the ultrasound and if you have any nodules larger than 1 cm, they will most likely want to do an FNA on them (fine needle aspiration). Some nodules can be treated with meds, some can be treated with RAI and some may just be left alone unless they are bothersome to you. In my case, I had a lot of discomfort in my neck so I had my thyroid removed 4 weeks ago only to find out that one of my nodules was abnormal on biopsy and it was a lot larger than expected (3x1.5 cm). No wonder why I hurt...LOL...I guess what I was trying to say as I was babbling on above is that they may leave the nodules alone or they may not...There are a lot of different criteria that they follow. Please keep us posted on your results and try and see if you can push the ultrasound up....waiting is a horrible feeling! Best of luck!

Old 08-20-2003, 12:33 PM   #12
(female)

USAFMOM HB User
Thank you all for that very informative, interesting info. I wasn't sure why they scheduled the ultrasound for six weeks. I guess maybe to give time for possible change to occur??? Anyway, your info was helpful, and I'll keep the boarded posted after my ultrasound.

Closed Thread