It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2003, 01:53 PM   #1
(female)

1MOM23 HB User
Post FNA tomorrow

Well after 2 1/2 months wait I will finally be going for my biopsy tomorrow...can anyone give me an indication as to what to expect? I plan on taking an Ativan before I go to calm my nerves ( I hate needles) and wondered whether I can take a Tylenol as well. I know that Ibuprofen is a no-no because of the potential for increased bleeding. I hope that the results will be favorable and hope to know them quickly.This waiting has been so hard on me (and my family!) I have three young daughters (9,6,17months) and 2 foster children and trying to keep up with them while being preoccupied hasn't been easy. Also, my surgeon had mentioned draining the cyst..is that common to do with the FNA?
Hopefully I will get some sleep tonight.
RN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 02:04 PM   #2
(female)

brookeysma HB User
I did not take any medications prior to both of my biopsies. I had one biopsied and one drained. They both feel about the same pain wise. My experience was a lot different from what I have seen in other posts. I was pretty uncomfortable during both procedures. It is like an intense pressure. I am not a big needle fan either and especially in the neck!!! UGH...I am not going to lie...I did not like it at all. Like I said though, other people have said that they didnt really hurt at all. Best of luck to you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 02:08 PM   #3
(female)

brookeysma HB User
Oops sorry...forgot to answer your question...it is common to drain the nodule because if it is filled with fluid, it can press on other structures and cause disomfort. Unfortunately, I have also heard that after a nodule is aspirated, it can sometimes return quite quickly. Hope this helps.

Old 08-20-2003, 03:19 PM   #4
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
I had an FNA in June. It was uncomfortable, but it was pretty quick. Expect to feel some tenderness swallowing for the next couple of days. Eat soft foods, I had soup for lunch and eggs for dinner. Good Luck, I'm hoping for the best news.

Actually I have a quick funny story from my FNA experience. After the doctor was thru the nurses were asking him where he put the needle so she could put on a bandaid, and he replied that he wasn't sure, and then I looked at him and said "That's because you did it with your eyes closed". This man who did not have a sense of humor busted out laughing. I'm sure any of you who have had this will get it. AFTER TOMMORROW 1MOM, YOU WILL GET A CHUCKLE OUT OF IT TOO!!!

Old 08-20-2003, 11:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
I have had a few FNA's done, and they are quick and virtually painless. The first one I had I did have a tender neck afterwards and it bothered me to move my head around, but I think that was because I was tense. The other was painless and it didn't bother my neck at all. They freeze the area, so you can't really feel anything. All you feel is a pressure in your neck. Just keep still!

Old 08-21-2003, 07:53 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Aimee8396 HB User
Ask to be numbed. Some Drs don't do this, and I have to wonder why the heck not!! All I felt was the initial ***** of the needle to numb me and felt nothing but pressure after. I had 5-6 sticks done, so not feeling this was great. My husband and I went to Friday's after, and I ate fish and chips, so I had no problems other than a dull earache for a few days after. Hopefully the news will be good. Good Luck! I was told Tylenol was fine before and after.

Closed Thread