It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2003, 02:30 PM   #1

kael HB User
Red face tremor, BP up and fast pulse after meds

Hey, yes, it's me ...again. I was switched from levoxyl .125 to synthroid .150 three weeks ago and now that I have been on it for that long - every morning about one hour after I take my pill I get this horrible all over body tremor (you can actually see my hands shake and I can feel it when I'm breathing and speaking) - and my blood pressure goes up about 10 points along with my pulse about 10-20 bpm. Eventually in the afternoon, all of that subsides, but with my trouble sleeping lately I wonder why the meds are affecting me this way. My lab tests all show hypo, but my symptoms are so hyper. I am just plain confused.

Has anyone else ever felt this when changing from one brand to another or with a dosage increase?

It makes me not want to take another day of my dosage, but then I don't want to mess up my levels before I can get an accurate blood draw, know what I mean?

Thanks,
Kael

------------------
Practice Compassion...Heal The World

[This message has been edited by kael (edited 08-17-2003).]

Old 08-17-2003, 02:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Kael, From what I understand it takes over a week for the T4 you take today to actually be "active" in your body, so unless you are reacting to something inactive in the pill, it may not be from that. It sounds like your in the middle of a viscious circle(I was there). My total T4 actually would show me as hyper, but since my body wasn't converting to T3 I got to have all the hypo symptoms too. Too much T4 makes you very jittery, nervous, poor sleep, etc., but your poor body still doesn't get what it needs. I also found out that the sicker I got, the more I almost paid too much attention to every single little thing going on in my body. It made me even worse. I think the word for it is hyper-vigilant, which I completely admit to. So have you tried adding T3 to the mix with either Armour or Cytomel. The first nights sleep after I added T3 was the most wonderful thing. IWL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2003, 02:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Oops

[This message has been edited by Iwannalife (edited 08-17-2003).]

Old 08-17-2003, 03:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
I've experienced a similar situation....and now I am also "hyper-vigilant". I find that when I get busy doing something, I forget about my hyperthyroidism, pretty much....and feel better. When I am done doing whatever I was doing, I start feeling cruddy again. I didn't take a pill today, because I'm sick of feeling like I'm wired all the time. I don't think that going from 175 to 150 is working fast enough for me. I'ts already been almost a month and I still feel like I'm on speed.

Marilyn

Old 08-17-2003, 03:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Marilyn, I spent over three years with a resting, pounding pulse of over 100. Now that it's fairly normally, I still catch myself taking my pulse. Have to make sure it's still beating, since I can't feel it anymore. IWL

Old 08-17-2003, 04:38 PM   #6

kael HB User
Unhappy

Hi - thanks. I am going to find another endo, because I left a message on Monday with very specific questions for mine and never heard back from them - and when I called throughout the week, they were never available. My total T4 is high - so is my TSH, but my free T4 and T3 are both low and he just put me on syntroid vs. levoxyl and wanted to up my doseage twice within a month. Well, I've only gone up once, because my body feels so hyper...but if I can't get him to call me back, shouldn't I find someone else???

The tremor though, is very specifically only after I take my meds - before that in the morning, I am fine. Maybe I am being hypervigilant, but I don't want to go back to feeling the way I was 6 weeks ago.

Kael

------------------

Old 08-17-2003, 06:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Kael, My doctor's nurse has always called me back within an hour, which I know is pretty good. At the very least, it should be the same day. It took me 6 doctors to find him though. Go to the website that shows your the "Top Doctors" that prescribe Armour. That way, if you need different meds, you'll be seeing a doctor that is more open to trying what's right for you. It looked like Temecula and Hemet had 4 or 5. I hope I didn't offend you with "hyper-vigilant". With all the strange symptoms that you can develop with thyroid problems, it does make you a little scared/ paranoid, nuts(I'm talking about me now). LOL IWL

Old 08-17-2003, 06:34 PM   #8

kael HB User
Cool

You're so right!!! No offense taken - this has just been H**L for the last 4 months - my body is not my own!!!

Thanks for the suggestion - I will look for the website!

Hugs,
Kael

------------------

Old 08-18-2003, 03:48 AM   #9

daldre1269 HB User
Hi Kael!

Yes, armour may be the way to go for you.... also you may want to have adrenal testing done because sometimes after starting meds the adrenals cannot handle the load and you have adrenal crisis.... you would experience that wired but tired feeling.

The best test for adrenals is the 24hr saliva test... just incase you were wondering

Old 08-18-2003, 06:58 PM   #10

poizngypsy HB User
Unhappy

Advice please. Recent labs T4 12.1 (4.5-10.9)
T3 update 26.0 (22.5-37.0)
TSH 5.185 (.350-5.50)

levoxyl dosage was 75 mcg and my doc increased to 88 mcg which I've been on a week. Today, my blood pressure was increased, heart rate increased, palpitations. My BP is NEVER high...always on the low side. So my one doc thinks it's because of the increased dosage. Left a message w/my thyroid doc and no call back yet but I am confused. Is this normal for some people for these symptoms to occur when increasing dosage? Does your body adjust as levels balance out? And I don't get why my T4 AND TSH was high... I did recently go back on birth control pills (3months ago) and I know it somehow can affect your labs but not sure how???

Old 08-18-2003, 07:45 PM   #11

kael HB User
Boy, poison-

You and I are in the exact same boat!!!! My TSH was 9. something 3 weeks ago, but my T4 was 11.4 - also high. It confused my GP so she sent me to an endo. Since my TSH was up and my free T3 and T4 were low, he upped my dose for two weeks and then wanted me to up it again after that - but I refused because of the tremor, trouble sleeping, faster pulse and BP up. I just got blood drawn again today, so I will know more the end of this week - I suspect I need a T3 supplement and not more T4!! I'm hypo and having hyper symptoms!! I will keep you posted and you do the same, until we figure this out.

By the way, when they did your labs, did they check your free T3 and free T4 levels too??

Hugs,

Kael

------------------

Old 08-19-2003, 06:47 AM   #12

poizngypsy HB User
I'm glad I'm not alone. I got so excited when I saw your post that someone else was having the same problems. I'd never heard of your BP going up but the nurse where I work said that if your body is stressing from the increased heart rate then it can make your BP go up. My doc's office still has not called me back. My question is this though, I recently went back on birth control pills and I am wondering how they affected my lab work. Could they have made my T4 go up and it's not really increased but a false reading because of the birth control pills? My pulse is still at around 100 resting so it's got to be the medicine I would think. I didn't take it this morning until I hear back from the doc but I don't want to continue to have these symptoms.

They did not draw a Free T3 or Free T4. My Free T3 has always been in the normal range in the past. Do you think I could get it drawn today even though I've been on the new med a week?? Or will those readings be thrown off?

Old 08-19-2003, 07:26 AM   #13

kael HB User
Red face

Poison-

I know nothing about BC pills and their effect on the thyroid or thyroid readings. I will post a question for you and someone here will know - Meep seems to know just about all there is to know where the thyroid is concerned and there are others with plently of experience who can help too.

Yes, a resting pulse rate of 100 is too high! Mine hasn't done that from the meds, it goes up from about 70 (norm for me) to between 80 and 95 - but by the afternoon, hours after I've taken my pill, it falls again, as does my blood pressure.

You are also going through the same trouble with your doctor not returning your calls as I am. Here's what I decided. There are many on this board who said it took them several tries to find the right doc. I went ahead and kept calling just until they agreed to get me back in for new labs (like if you want your free levels checked) - I got in yesterday. As soon as I get my results, I'm taking them to a new doctor. What good is a doctor if you can't speak with them when you really need them??

I will let you know when I find someone who can explain why the TSH and the T4 are both elevated at the same time, too - because this last doc's comment was "thyroids aren't supposed to be this complicated". Now isn't that comforting?!?!?!

Hang in there and call them back. Let them know nicely but firmly that you've called before and no one's gotten back to you - that your blood pressure and pulse are both way up and you need some help - they probably won't want to put you off if you sound like you are really in medical distress. If they do, call your GP back and get some temporary help with this until you can get to another endo.

That's my advice for whatever it's worth! Please let me know how it goes today!!!

Thinking of You,
Kael

------------------

Old 08-19-2003, 09:18 AM   #14

bobv18 HB User
I am having the same symptoms as some of you with the changed dosage of synthroid. Did any of you have stomach/intestinal problems when you were adjusting to the meds?

When my symptoms act up, it seems that my stomach and intestines are working 3 times as fast, and I get stomach pains/diahrea and cramping. It is not a good feeling.

Old 08-19-2003, 12:53 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Poizngypsy, I would go ahead and get the tests. Adding more T4 if you're not converting it to T3 well, will just give you hyper and hypo symptoms. You are taking selenium 200mg, right? This will help your liver deal with the bc pills and the thyroid. Some people actually get to take less meds once they start the selenium.

Boby, Whenever I've had a med increase it affects my pulse, eyes and majorly my intestines. Being hypo for too long did too. Thought I was gonna die, if not I was going to redecorate the bathroom, since I was living in there. Good luck. IWL

Closed Thread