It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2003, 03:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Post Makers of Levothroid told to stop making it

This was reported by CNBC. The FDA warned Forest Laboratories to stop marketing thyroid replacement drugs containing Levothroid. Drugs containing levothyroxine sodium have been sold for years without FDA approval. In July 2001, the FDA gave companies a warning they had two years to submit applications for approval or they must phase out production. Forest failed to submit application and have been given 15 days, as of August 14, 2003, to respond to FDA on how they plan to stop marketing it.

For more info you can go to the MSN news website. Sorry I can't post the link, it is against board rules to post links. Not sure if anyone on here is taking this drug. I don't remember reading of anyone here taking it, but just in case thought I would post.

Angela

Old 08-19-2003, 11:32 PM   #2

txgirl22 HB User
Question

Is that in Eltroxin???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 05:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
It is in ELtroxin. However Forest doesn't manufacture Eltroxin, Glaxo Wellcome does. So Glaxo would have had to submit their own application to FDA. As far as that goes I haven't heard their status. Might want to email the company and find out.

Old 08-20-2003, 07:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Since Eltroxin is not marketed in the US, it may not have had to be approved by the FDA which is a US entity.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 08-20-2003, 09:14 AM   #5

burdhome HB User
my edno just put me on levothroid, I wonder why he would prescribe it if they are not going to make it anymore. I tried to look up that article but couldnt find it. hmmmm

Old 08-20-2003, 10:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Since the FDA decision came last week, I really would expect any physician to know this. I mean some may, but there is so much medical news how much can anyone be expected to keep up with? I read the info on another thyroid board. I went to FDA site and then I discovered some new warnings they put out on the asthma drug Advair that I take. My dr gave me some last week. Just proves we have to stay on top of things outselves as the drs aren't. I updated my profile with my email should anyone want more info about the MSN article on levothroid.

Old 08-21-2003, 09:57 AM   #7

courtney28 HB User
Is this levothyroxine? I was just put on this medication. Please let me know!
Thanks, Courtney

Old 08-21-2003, 03:22 PM   #8
Inactive

roni624 HB User
Lightbulb

Is this found in Levoxyl? Just curious because my dr took me off Levoxyl because it was being taken off the market and put me on Synthroid.-R

Old 08-21-2003, 06:27 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Levothroid is a brand name of levothyroxine sodium made by Forest Labs. Yes Levothyroxine, Levoxyl, Synthroid and Euthyroid all are made of levothyroxine sodium which is a synthetic T4 hormone replacement. Each of these are brand names. The manufacturer of each of these has had to submit their own application for FDA approval after the FDA discovered several years ago that all these drugs were being sold without the usual procedure being followed to gain FDA approval BEFORE putting on the market. Synthroid recently was okayed by the FDA. I have not found any info if Levoxyl or Levothyroxine have passed or will be yanked from the shelves. They are made by different companies. I'll let you know if I come across anything.

Old 08-21-2003, 06:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by courtney28:
Is this levothyroxine? I was just put on this medication. Please let me know!
Thanks, Courtney
Ask your doctor to put you on Unithroid. It contains the same ingredient as your Levothyroxine. Unithroid was cleared a long time ago by FDA, so you shouldn't have to worry about it being taken off market.

Closed Thread