It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2003, 09:56 AM   #1
(female)

happy4us HB User
Question Nodule measuring 1.27 - what does it mean?

Hi all,
I posted a few weeks ago for the first time regarding having hives and finding a thyroid problem (TPO 804).

I finally had a Dr appt on Tuesday and the GP tested for "everything under the sun" according to the nurse. He also ordered an ultrasound because of the lump he found on the right side. I like his aggressiveness. He's already told me that if he finds anything abnormal he wants to send me to an endo immediately. He doesn't treat ongoing thyroid problems.

I won't have my labs back until next week.

Now, the tech at the hospital who did the ultrasound yesterday told me that there is definitely a nodule and it measures 1.27. She said they don't normally biopsy until it reaches 1.5. But I've read other opinions elsewhere.

Here are my questions:
1. When they do a biopsy are they looking for cancer?
2. What size of nodule is considered suspicious?
3. Is there normally a nodule when you have Hashimotos? (My antibodies are extremely high!)
4. If this is benign, will the medications help to reduce the size? (It's a nuisance to have this lump in my throat.)

***5. My GP suggested that this could also be caused by a virus and that it may go away in 6 weeks to 3 mos. I haven't ever read anything like that. Does anyone know about virus'es and the thyroid???

Any answers you could provide along with additional information I don't know to ask would be greatly appreciated. I'm really trying not to worry about this...but it doesn't help to not understand all that's happening to me. I've never had a health problem in my life and now it seems that I keep getting shocked with their findings.

Thanks so much!
Rhonda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2003, 10:09 AM   #2
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Hi, I can't answer all of your questions, but I will answer what I do know. First off they are looking for cancer when a biopsy is done. Second, usually a nodule 1 cm or bigger is biopsied. (mine was 1cm) Any size could be suspicious, I'm not sure that size matters. Also if it is a single nodule don't freak out and think the worst as mine was a single nodule and it was benign (noncancerous). I also don't have hashi's and I have a nodule, I don't think it matters if it is Hashis or not-- you can have a nodule w/or without hashis. I have been told that taking the meds should keep the nodule from growing as for shrinking it I have read that the meds don't do that.

I remember that I read so much that I scared myself needlessly. Don't make the same mistake I made. I wishing the best results for you.

Old 08-22-2003, 10:17 AM   #3
(female)

happy4us HB User
Thanks girlygirl. I appreciate your prompt response and the info.

I'm fairly certain I do have Hashi's and I believe I also have Hypo-t (I have a lot of the symptoms). Guess the blood tests will confirm that next week.

Thanks again-
Rhonda

Old 08-22-2003, 10:45 AM   #4
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Keep in mind when you look at your bloodwork it may show "normal", but that doesn't mean that you aren't hypo. My TSH was 1.61 when I was diagnosed. I had alot of the symptoms and a goiter (mildly enlarged thyroid), and the nodule. I tested neg for the antibodies. So I am hypo.

Having Hashi's means that you are hypothyroid. Your bloodwork may not show it but you are. The antibodies are showing it.

Old 08-22-2003, 11:27 AM   #5
(female)

brookeysma HB User
Hello. I wanted to let you know that I know how you feel. I was diagnosed with a multinodular goiter over a year ago. All my labs were normal but I had an enlarged thyroid and 3 nodules, the largest being 2cm (or so they thought)...My ENDO said that my TSH was too low to treat with meds because I would than be thrown into a hypo state. I did have a biopsy on the largest nodule and 8 months later an aspiration of another nodule. I was basically told by my first ENDO to come back in a year and they would do another ultrasound and biopsy. I still had a lot of discomfort so I changed endos. Apparently, my nodules were hurting because they were bleeding...Well I had a total thyroidectomy 4 weeks ago and my largest nodule was 3cm and initially came back from biopsy with atypia (abnormalities) and that is why I was in such discomfort.

In a nut shell..they usually biopsy anything over 1cm. They can treat certain types of nodules with meds to shrink or RAI to destroy them. It all depends on your labs I think. Hope this helps and gives you some insight into things.

Old 08-22-2003, 12:09 PM   #6
(female)

1MOM23 HB User
Hi Rhonda!
It's great that you are here! I found a lump in my neck in May..turns out it was on my thyroid. (I didn't even know where my thyroid was before that!) I had a biopsy yesterday. After my ultraound in June they found nodules inside of the cyst that they were concerned about. I think that I have some hyo sypmtoms (not too many though) but my lab work too keeps coming back "normal". I am just praying for a good report next week. I have found this site great for information. (Although I unfortunatey aren't a great wealth of it!) I know it just made me feel better knowing I could ask questions here and know that others are in the same boat. I hope that you get things sorted out!
Take care,
RN
PS..I am a Rhonda too!

Closed Thread