It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2003, 09:09 PM   #1

kael HB User
Wink the issues that cause trouble with the thyroid!!

Don't know if this has ever been discussed on this board or not, but it is food for thought.

I personally believe that every physical illness has an emotional root. So, I thought it would be fun to share what I've read (Louise Hay) is the real issue behind thyroid disorders - according to her book, when you have thyroid problems, they stem from feeling like you never get to do what you really want to do - in other words, you feel like your life circumstances or the people in it prevent you from fully living your own life.

I just wonder how many of us here believe that to be true about ourselves, and if so, maybe taking a look at how we could make small changes to begin making more room for our own enjoyment in our lives!?!?!

Interesting to think about, isn't it??

I, for one, know that I have five fairly demanding children and a fairly needy husband. I certainly don't feel like I often get to do what I want to do.

Hugs,

Kael

------------------
Practice Compassion...Heal The World

Old 08-20-2003, 09:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
I don't know if I would agree with that or not...it's too simple. I do however, agree with the medical experts that say the chemicals we put into our foods and use in our environment are absorbed by our bodies and affect our thyroid. Fluoride was at one time used to suppress overactive thyroids, and now it's in our water and toothpaste....no wonder so many of us have hypothyroidism because we put fluoride into our bodies every day of the week, all year long, year after year after year. I, for one, do not use fluoride. I drink filtered water and we even have a shower filter that removes the chlorine and fluoride. However, what you mentioned would cause stress, and stress weakens our immune systems, perhaps leading to a weaker thyroid and all sorts of problems.

Marilyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 10:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
I believe my mother and her mother played a huge part in this Graves disease legacy. But I firmly believe that attitude and emotional health give us a huge edge for improving our health. What about the 1 year old with diabetes. Is he feeling ripped off about not being nursed long enough? Okay, just teasing you. There's a part of me that thinks our mind can go along ways toward actually curing physical symptoms, but she's(my mind) always telling me to do the right things and I really like potatoe chips. I am a rebel. With five kids you do need to stake out YOUR SPACE and your time without guilt. Anything that makes you step back and listen to yourself and what you need is always good. Hugs, IWL

Old 08-21-2003, 12:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
I pretend that I get to do anything I want to do...does that count? But to be serious, I don't blame others for where I am today. My life has direction, but frequently goes off course and thats what makes life interesting.

Old 08-21-2003, 04:54 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User
I am the type of person who likes to be able to do what she wants to do. For example, I asked my 2nd husband when we are going to go away as a family. Well just a few days ago, we finally went away together with my 2nd husband, 1 year old, and (11 year old from another marriage) . I guess me & my daughter had very high expectations for this trip. As it turned out it just didnt work out. We had the most beatiful room overlooking Niagara Falls and my husband just had a bored look to him. He was the one who recommended Niagara Falls, not me. Me & my 11 year old spent most of the time together, eating out, doing activities, etc, as my husband sat in the room for 2 days. He said he hated it there and wanted to go home. Every time we tried to take a shuttle bus to try to go somewhere something always went wrong. I just cant pinpoint what happened, but I do know there will be no more family vacations except for me & my daughter. I wound up having a very upset stomach the whole time. I dont know if I can live my life with someone who cant go away as a family. I love to travel and do travel a day or two just to get away sometimes with my daughter. I keep thinking that I'd love to go to the Smoky Mountains or Disney next year and get so depressed seeing people together enjoying themselves. I guess its not going to happen unless we go ourselves. I feel so much hatred and I know its not good for my well being or health.

Old 08-21-2003, 08:32 AM   #6

imsotired HB User
Smile

I'm not so sure I agree with this. I am the happiest I've ever been in my life! I am married (happily for six years) and am able to stay home with my two pre-school aged children. We are not in finacial trouble or have any family/freind troubles, yet I am experiencing so many HYPO symptoms I can hardly name them all. Maybe it could be true for some, But it doesn't seem to be the case for me.

Old 08-21-2003, 11:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
imsotired, I have to agree with you. We have six children, no debt except for a house payment, a nice house, nice cars, money in the bank and a wonderful marriage, yet I have been sicker the past 5 years than I have been my entire life! I had to leave a career in law enforcement that I loved with every fiber of my being. I do believe stress attributes to some of my health problems, and then the chemicals and pollution in our environment contributed some also. I wonder too if it doesn't have something to do with where I grew up. I grew up in the rural areas of North Dakota, and am in Minnesota now. My mother had hypothyroidism, my oldest sister had hers removed, I have thyroid problems and another sister has a son that had thyroid cancer and her other son has an enlarged thyroid. Now what's with that? We were born and grew up in probably the cleanest state in the USA!

Marilyn

Old 08-21-2003, 07:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking

ssMarilyn: thyroid disease is genetic -- both my sister and i have it, but oddly not my mum (don't think) ...

also, i'm reading a fascinating book called "when the body says no" by gabor mate, and it's his theory that stress (physical or psychological) reduces the strength of the immune system, and that past unpleasant experiences also play a part, to the extent that the body just gets fed up and says, "NO! i can't take this any more!" ... and i completely agree ... my past life has been to a certain extent unpleasant (alcoholic dad, psychotic first husband, present husband laid-off and with ADD, my thyroid problem and a stroke), and i can feel myself going steadily downward ...

jb

Old 08-22-2003, 06:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
If thyroid problems are genetic where did I get it from? Noone in my family has thyroid problems. I guess it has to start somewhere huh.

I think the chemicals on the foods and in the water and just plain in the air causes numerous health problems.

Old 08-22-2003, 08:35 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking

dea4, i agree w/you 100% -- so many hormones, chemicals, pesticides, fertilizers, factory farming, and where did mad cow disease come from anyway? from feeding cows MEAT that their bodies weren't meant to digest! cows should be grazing on grass and hay, and out in the open grasslands, not this god-awful factory farming ... we buy organic whenever we can, tho' it's more expensive and we've had to alter our diets somewhat ...

i mean that there's so much stress built up in us, as individuals, that perhaps our bodies just shut down and say "that's it -- i've had it" ... it can be stress from our childhoods, and that piled upon another stress piled upon another stress ... i know that i completely collapsed about eight years ago, and just couldn't take any more -- i mean ANYthing -- i was a blithering idiot ... and i just can't take anything anymore -- used to think that as one got older, one got stronger, but ... WHAT!! WHAT IS THIS!! don't tell me you get weaker ...

i know that there's a familial component to thyroid disease, but as you say, it has to start somewhere

jb

[This message has been edited by jinglebts (edited 08-22-2003).]

Closed Thread