It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2003, 08:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Post hypothyroidism and sleep apnea

Hi everyone! My doc is sending me to have a sleep study done this Monday. Says I may have sleep apnea because I told him I'm still tired most of the time. I was just wondering if anyone out there has this along with hypo-T?
Barb

Old 08-22-2003, 08:33 PM   #2
Inactive

roni624 HB User
Barb....my dr brought that up to me the other day and suggested having the test done also. (I am hypo) I may agree to have it done because I have been so tired for quite some time now.-Roni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2003, 08:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
I had a sleep study done. Weird experience, but not awful. They found out I woke partially 26 times an hour and stopped breathing like 13 times an hour. My pulse/ox was in the 70's during part of my sleep. I tried that machine that you wear CPAP(?), but I have too many allergies and you have to be able to breath through your nose to wear it. Plus I was emotionally resistant. It looks like an old WWII gas mask and I had only been married for a year. So, they did nasal surgery and throat surgery to open my airway more. It helped me breath better, but didn't help my hypo symptoms(which were being ignored then). Most of the time if you have thyroid disease, your symptoms are from it not being treated correctly, not the hundreds of other theories the drs. bring up. Good luck. IWL

Old 08-22-2003, 10:04 PM   #4

luke1 HB User
I am hypo and I did have some sleep problems. I would awake after about four hours breathing very deeply. I thought I might have sleep apnea. I used a voice activated tape recorder several nights to see if I was snoring or was having disturbed sleep, but there was no sound on the tape recorder. Just before making an appointment with the doc I tried a product called Breathe Right which are nasal strips that hold your nasal passages open. From the first night I used them I have been sleeping 7 to 8 hours undisturbed. Sometimes the simplest solutions are best. It did not lessen my thyroid symptoms, but being more rested did help.
Sleep apnea can be very serious and you should get it checked out. I am only suggesting that the Breathe Right strips may help.

Old 08-22-2003, 11:11 PM   #5
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
As a hypothyroid individual I had that sleep apnea diagnosis when I had fatigue problems. Of course it was a false diagnosis and the hypothyroidism was quite uncontrolled. I've gotten more thyroid med and have gotten better since, but I still haven't found a doctor that will work with me to be able to get the right amount of thyroid hormones I need. They did the sleep study and found problems, but of course I have sinus problems that got better with the increase in thyroid hormones.

Of course, the sleep apnea diagnosis started quite a horror in itself and started quite a nasty chapter in my life, resulting in the loss of my job.

Closed Thread