It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2003, 09:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Question new to this

I'm new to this. I was diagnosed as hypothyroid in an emergency room about 5 weeks ago. I went there because I was having pain in the muscle between my c-spine and right shoulder. Along with the pain was numbness from that muscle through the shoulder and halfway down toward my elbow. Lately, I have been experiencing numbness in my thumb and severe tingling in the back of my left thigh all the way down to the tips of my toes. My TSH was 8.6 when tested 5 weeks ago. Doc said it was "just a little" high. In the past 8 months, I have been through a lot. Fatigue and depression (am seeing a slight improvement of these symptoms since starting Synthroid 0.05 5 weeks ago). I also have had the skipped heartbeats and palpitations (not in the past couple of weeks). Had EKG and holter monitor tests done before starting Synthroid.. Both turned out OK. I have the hair loss too. No doctor has touched my neck to feel my thyroid. My doctor thinks I may have sleep apnea because I'm still fatigued. He blows off the fact that I'm loosing my hair. He has done no neurological tests on me despite the fact that another doctor found cubital tunnel syndrome (ulnar nerve entrapment-the carpal tunnel syndrome of the elbow) in my right arm. I also have numbness in my left hand when I wake up in the morning. The point of this long message is-I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I want a normal life back. Is there anyone out there who can help me? I think I need someone to tell me there really is a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2003, 09:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
There is a light, I promise. For starters, read this current thread: [url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/003858.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/003858.html[/url]

And that's just the beginning. Look at our "...Our Stories" thread to see you are not alone in your experiences. [url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000045.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000045.html[/url]
The "Information Archive" thread is full of links to the basics and beyond when it comes to thyroid disease. [url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000005.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000005.html[/url]

My doctor was acting like an idiot too, refusing testing and denying a problem, when I found this board. The members encouraged me to find the right doctor, and they provided enough information to convince me my problems weren't "all in my head". This place has been a tremendous source of support to me.

Old 08-22-2003, 10:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
midwest1, Thank you so much for your quick reply. I read what you suggested. It was really informative. It's amazing how much more those of us who suffer know than the doctors who "treat" us! Not to knock docs, but I think we know us better than they do! Thanks again.
Barb

Old 08-22-2003, 10:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User
Talking

Bosmom,
Welcome to the boards. I have been hypoT for over 6 years. I was in the ER a few months ago for the same thing you describe. It was a muscle spasm and it was awful! I have a lot of neck, shoulder, back pain still, but my leg aches have disappeared with medication. Hope you can get some relief soon!
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 08-22-2003, 11:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bellajoon, I thought I was going nuts with these symptoms. So sorry you've had problems with numbness and pain and at the same time, I'm so happy to have someone validate my symptoms. It really ISN'T in my mind! Thanks for sharing.
Barb

Old 08-22-2003, 11:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Find a different doctor! Get a copy of the tests you had run 5 wks ago and run to the nearest Endo. The TSH range was changed recently to 3.0 being the upper limit. If you are at 8 and having such miserable symptoms you are more than just a "little" high.

Old 08-22-2003, 11:47 AM   #7

imsotired HB User
Wink

Hey! I'm quite new to this too. I understand what you're feeling as I have been having the same symptoms (not always in the same location as yours). I am now on the hunt for a good doctor who will listen to what I have to say and be willing to help me FEEL BETTER!! Just hang in there and listen to the "guys" on this board, they've given me some good advice, and I'm sure they can help you out a lot too! Good Luck!

Old 08-23-2003, 12:49 AM   #8
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
Dealing with thyroid disorders takes a lot of faith. There is a light at the end of the tunnel but that tunnel can be very long and arduous to travel. I've found personally it takes a lot of faith and a lot of strength to get through it, it gets hopeless sometimes, but just draw on faith and it'll come through...

Having hypothyroidism is definitely a battle.

Closed Thread