It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2003, 07:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Post Meep....they're baaack...

Got my test results back.
TSH .32 (.40-5)
FT3 3.7 (2.3-4.2)
FT4 1.2 (0.8-1.6)

My doctor said "if he were me" he would lower my meds a little, but is still kind of giving me a free hand with this. My hands are a little shaky and my pulse is up, but it does that with hypo too. Energy level isn't great, but in so many ways I feel so much better than 2 months ago. What would you do? Up/down/same. Oh, I did take my split dose of my meds the morning of the test. I wasn't going to but I am a zombie in the a.m. and forgot. I took 90mg at 6:30 a.m. and had my blood test at 3:30 which means I would have had about half of that T3 in my system from the meds? Does that matter with a FT3? Thanks for your help. Does Mr. Mom get weekends off? IWL

Old 08-22-2003, 11:56 PM   #2
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
Toft in his February 2003 BMJ Editorial suggests that FT3 and FT4 should be close to the top or beyond. Of course, this decision is one for you to make. Do you have hypothyroid symptoms or hyperthyroid symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2003, 10:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Hi Sky, I have always had both. I believe that since I don't convert T4 well that I have symtoms of too much, but hypo symtoms from not getting enough T3(theory). I'm taking 180 mg of Armour and am tempted to add a little T3 to see what happens. I am a little nervous because of the warnings of heart/stroke etc. with too much meds. No real family history, but I do have MVP. Since switching to Armour I feel soooo much better, but still have some fatigue. Got rid of the horrible body aches, pain, intestinal problems, vision stuff, heart palps, fogginess, etc. So I am really greatful. I want to be able to work out again, so I can lose weight and become me again. I'm going to check out the info you were referring to. Thanks IWL

Old 08-23-2003, 10:52 AM   #4
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
Another thought to consider is if your body is processing the thyroid properly. How are your adrenals? The inserts for all the thyroid supplements say that the doctor should check for and correct any adrenal insuffiency. Often 99% of the doctors do not do this, and if they do they misinterpret the tests bigtime (if you thought state of care for thyroid was bad, adrenals are about twice as worse - they recognize hyperadrenia, and complete absence, but there's NO SUCH THING AS hypoadrenia or adrenal fatigue in the medical establishment literature).

If your adrenals are lagging, which is very common in hypothyroidism, this means you won't have the other hormones the body needs to be able to take the hormones into your cells and use them. You'd have a very hard time of getting this test, but I understand some doctors are starting to test urine for T3 and T4 - this is an indication that the body is unable to use it and discards it if present in urine (which is normal - this happens if you OD, the body simply eliminates the excess with time). The places I read about this test indicate the idea is to find if any other problems exist.

Anyway, one cardinal rule for hypothyroid cases is to make sure you check the adrenals.

Old 08-23-2003, 11:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Hi again Sky, My MD agreed to send me for adrenal testing, he actually brought it up, but told me he doesn't know enough about how to interpret the results, so when I get back home in a few weeks, he's going to refer me. About a month before I started the Armour, I started doing alot of stuff recommended by Dr. Lam. Pregnonolol,licorice root, progesterone cream, adrenal support(over the counter),Q-10 and alot of vitamins and minerals. My body temp was so low when I started Armour that I know my adrenals got too much of a work out, plus I had that constant adrenalin on overdrive feeling for 3 yrs. I read your formula on another post for the %'s and it kind of stumped me too, although I understood the point, just not the math. I'm hoping that what I'm doing is helping my adrenals at least a little. So if you were me, would you up the Armour or add T3? Thanks, IWL

Old 08-23-2003, 11:58 AM   #6
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
That's very good you are looking at other possible avenues for problems. The endocrine system is just that - a system. The doctors unfortunately don't treat it as such, they only treat it as individual discrete parts which have no relationship to one another.

From looking at your tests, you're close to maximum on both. Of course, you could be like me and be fine for a few hours until you run out and need more at certain times. Do you do temperature monitoring? That helps lots, if you do it at uniform times throughout the day (waking, noon, 7 or 8 PM works, but if you can get a 2 or 3am reading it'll help too) when you're resting and not active (not during your period though if you're a woman). 98.2-98.6 is "fine", and if your temperature falls below that, then you're hypothyroid.

My main issue I think is that most of my supplementation is off of Cytomel, it wears down and I get periodic hypothyroid symptoms. That could be part of it, not just the amounts, but the timing of when you take it.

There are so many problems with the same symptoms that it gets hard. The thing with the adrenals is like I posted above, if you are deficient, you can use more of the thyroid hormone than before and you might need an increase in that area. The key thing to hope is the right tests get ordered...I understand the ACTH stimulation test is best, but beyond that all the testing done has its problems for various reasons.

Old 08-23-2003, 12:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
IWL - Did you read my post here about MVP???

Marilyn

Old 08-23-2003, 02:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Marilyn, Yep I read it. I did alot of reading on MVP during my quest, but since there's no cure, kind of went in denial over it. When I am hypo, the murmur is very loud, but when I'm not, the dr. can't hardly hear it. I'm taking magnesium(500mg) for the last three months, but just toss it back with all my other vitamins and just read something about taking it alone(was that you that said that?). I also take a calcium/magnesium/vitamin C drink right before bedtime that has 200mg(I think). It really seemed to help with the leg cramps and maybe even the heart palps. I have never pre-medicated before dental appointments and don't believe it's necessary for a functioning murmur, but I know some people wouldn't agree. Antibiotics don't like me. Thanks!

Sky_Eagle, I took my temp for about three weeks when I first started Armour. Started at 96.5 in a.m. and withing two weeks it was up to 98.4. When I started feeling symptoms again, I was back in the 97's. again, but don't know where I am now. During those first couple of weeks, when I took it during the day/afternoon, it was 99+. Weird huh? Since I'm in San Diego temporarily and it is soooo hot here, I haven't even tried taking it. I've been tempted to try just a little more Armour, but I really would prefer to up the T3 a little more and not the T4, but I don't have access to new meds right now. Are my T3 and T4 considered about equal, how do you tell? Thanks, IWL

Old 08-23-2003, 07:27 PM   #9
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
Both your T4 and T3 could stand to come up a little if you feel the need for more thyroid hormones. I'd try a 1/4 grain increase in the Armour and see how you'd do.

Old 08-23-2003, 08:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
People are different.... I personally feel my best with my Free T3 at 3.7 or 3.8 (same lab range as yours... 2.3-4.2) and my Free T4 at 1.4 (0.8-1.8 range.)

Based on when you took your meds, before the test, your results shouldn't be skewed, so don't worry that you took your meds that morning since it was 9 hours before the blood was drawn. Pst about 8 hours after taking the meds, the dose has dissipated enough that your Free T3 and Free T4 levels are accurate at that point.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 08-24-2003, 11:52 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Thanks. I might try just another 15mg and see what happens. I am taking Keflex for a sinus infection. Does anyone know if this blocks any absorbtion of thyroid meds? LOL IWL

Old 08-24-2003, 12:32 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Tehre is no known interaction between Cephalexin and thyroid meds. Still, to be safe gie it at least an hour or two between them

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Closed Thread