It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2003, 02:26 PM   #1

Golden Girl HB User
Unhappy Test results back - now what?

I got my test results back today and the nurse told me everything was normal. She did say my TSH Level was a little low.

TSH .59
T4 Total 7.6
T3 32
FreeT4 2.4

What do I do now???? I have so many of the symptoms of an underactive thyroid and I just want the fatigue to go away. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 08-20-2003, 02:48 PM   #2
(female)

blondegal HB User
We need your reference ranges to be able to comment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 03:58 PM   #3

Golden Girl HB User
I don't know what that is-would that be something the Doctor can tell me?

Old 08-20-2003, 06:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
Call the lab that did the tests and tell them you need their lab values for the tests they did.

Marilyn

Old 08-22-2003, 03:17 PM   #5

Golden Girl HB User
Unhappy

I called the Lab and got the reference ranges-they are as follows:

TSH .59 range .49-4.67
T4 Total 7.6 range 4.5-12.0
T3 32 range 23-38
Free T4 2.4 range .71-1.85

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do next??

Old 08-23-2003, 05:12 AM   #6

Golden Girl HB User
Unhappy

I am still learning, but it seems the higher the TSH Level is, that is an indication of Hypo and the Lower TSH Level indicated Hyper??? If that is the case then I would be considered Hyper when I have all the symptoms of Hypo. How can that be?

Any advice would be appreciated, I have been going through this for 5 years. The fatigue is the worst part- it takes me all weekend to recover from the week. There is so many things I want to do and need to do but just can't. I did start dieting this past Monday and have done extremely well - I had gained 15 pounds within a year. I have also been reading about selenium - would that help me and if so how long before you start feeling the effects?

[This message has been edited by Golden Girl (edited 08-23-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Golden Girl (edited 08-23-2003).]

Old 08-24-2003, 04:31 AM   #7

Golden Girl HB User
Advice - anyone??

Old 08-24-2003, 05:09 AM   #8
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
It would be useful to see a free t3 value...this would be really telling. But guessing based on what I see it's hard to tell from the tests alone. But why should I? Do you take anything now like Synthroid? You say you have hypo symptoms, if I had to take a guess your Free T3 test would be low.

That's the key here, if you can get that done, it will tell us a lot more. It is also a key test for getting on supplements like Cytomel and Armour, which is what you want to do if the FT3 is truly low - you have the symptoms and I'd have you try those options, but a doctor would need the tests anymore. The low T3 and over-high T4 is very common and a frequent problem with a synthetic T4 option like Synthroid. This also makes the synthetic T4 one of the worst options for hypothyroid people. It's unfortunate though that's so very common and most doctors don't care about us - it shows in that fact that Synthroid/LT4 options are most prescribed along with others. Of course, the big thing is patient choice. You're here to learn this stuff, and you NEED to learn this stuff to deal with the doctors who would enjoy keeping you sick.

Old 08-24-2003, 08:33 AM   #9

Golden Girl HB User
I am not taking any medications - I was told everything was "normal". What about the selenium - would that help? I am ready to try just about anything.

Old 08-24-2003, 10:27 AM   #10
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
OK, there's a multitude of other things that this could be besides just the thyroid. Like I wrote, you need to consider getting an FT3 test to make wholly sure your thyroid is not an issue.

The multitude of other things that could cause fatigue and problems are things like adrenal problems, anemia, B12 deficiency, and the list probably could go on and on and on.

If I were honestly looking at just the tests that you've posted now, I wouldn't call the thyroid an issue for you, unless the Free T3 test indicated anything. Of course, I don't know all of your symptoms - that could help some.

I hope you are able to find the answers you need for this problem.

Old 08-24-2003, 12:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Hi, Did you have your thyroid antibodies tested. I know that you can have normal test results on everything else, but if your antibodies are up, you can still feel awful. Get that done, start a really good B-complex, especially the B-12, be sure you're taking selenium and magnesium. Have you had your adrenals tested? Also take your temperature in the a.m. before you get out of bed and see if it's low. What were your other symptoms besides fatigue. Don't give up. Unfortunately it is kind of up to you to figure out whats wrong. Took me 3 1/2 years. Ugh. Take care, IWL

Old 08-24-2003, 01:14 PM   #12

Golden Girl HB User
Thanks IWL for the reply.

I don't think the adrenals or anti-bodies were tested. The Nurse Practitioner suggested (before the tests came back) that I take a Vitamin B complex and magnesium. Will the selenium make a difference also? I know there are so many people that have gone to Doctor after Doctor and I feel so bad for them. I am already fed up and don't even want to fool with them, that is one of the reasons I came to this board. I will try the things you suggested and see if it works. Do you know when I start taking the selenium how long it will take to feel the effects?

Old 08-24-2003, 04:40 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Talking

If it were me... I would go to different doc, tell him/her your symptoms and ask for thyroid test over again not letting him know you have already been tested. What I noticed about your tests is you might benefit from some Cytomel. Get following tests done: TSH, Free T3, Free T4, antibodies. Get a copy of lab test results. Your tests remind me off many people on here, including myself, that have low TSH (for myself after being on Armour for 1 year) yet have T3 or a T4 that is mid-range and still experience the hypo symptoms despite being on verge of hyper. That is if you can believe the TSH level. Thing is if you have pituitary gland malfunction the TSH is a totally useless reading for determing what your thyroid is doing.

Might be adrenals causing symptoms too. Stay off all steriodal medicines if you can; those damage the adrenals. Yucca root, rosemary and maca are natural cortisones that will help your adrenals function properly. Avoid stimulants like caffiene & ginseng.

Old 08-24-2003, 07:23 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
GG, I don't have a thyroid, so I'm not sure how long it takes to improve thryroid function, just that it does. The magnesium seemed to help with muscles and sleep withing a few days or at least I thought it did and that's good enough. Good Luck, IWL

Closed Thread