It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2003, 06:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Post Am I alone on this one??

I'm just wondering if any of you have this sort of problem. Do family members or friends think you're exaggerating just because you don't look as bad as you feel? This happens to me and I was wondering am I alone on this one?
Barb

Old 08-23-2003, 06:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Yeah most of my friends think I am a wimp and most of family crazy because I am constantly seeing drs for the thyroid which I still think is undertreated, the adrenal problems, allergies, asthma. It really bites! I know where you are coming from. At least we have one another..fellow thyroid sufferers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2003, 06:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
You are not alone, I guess we have to look really bad before they will believe we feel really bad.

Old 08-23-2003, 07:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
SIGH!!!! I think this kind of stuff is really what rips at us. I've been off work for 5 months and may lose my job because I can't work right now. It's not that I don't want to. I really need the money. But my job rotates shifts every week. From days to afternoons to midnights and back again. I don't even get enough rest sleeping every night now. Some days I can't bear to even do much of anything. I'm sure you all know how that is. It's just nice to know that there are people out there who are willing to listen and give support. I think in the months ahead as my meds get adjusted and I begin to feel better, you all are going to be of great support and comfort to me. I hope that I will be able to return the favor. Thanks guys.
Barb

Old 08-23-2003, 07:33 PM   #5
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
You're not alone...this disease is often mistaken for laziness and I've heard that several times. Then too, people are ignorant to the point that if they don't see anything wrong then they think you're faking it.

Old 08-24-2003, 04:29 AM   #6

Golden Girl HB User
No , you are not alone. I have been told that I was lazy and that I just needed to get over it. I went to our company Doctor because I was desperate and he told me there was nothing he could do and I "looked" very healthy. It helps reading this board and realizing that you are not the only one that feels that way.

Old 08-24-2003, 05:13 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User
Yes definitely. My husband shows no compassion at all and makes fun of me some times because of my problems which he doesnt think I have.

Old 08-24-2003, 05:24 AM   #8

ANNETTE H HB User
Lightbulb

Hi. Over the past 26 years I have been rock bottom several times. And, at the bottom you are often by yourself! My Hubby is just now really unerstanding and he has seen every up and down. My mother thinks all I have to do is loose a few pounds to be "well". a friend thinks eating more fruit will do it. And so on and so on. As a general rule the drs don't have the foggiest. I read that most drs treat the lab results,not the patient. Until they learn as much as their patients,they can't help all that much.If we could write our RX, we could regulate the dose by how we feel,without lab work. However,there are still ALL those friends w Hypo/Hyper-T. When they offer advise you know they know what they are talking about This BB is as good as an old fashion P.J. party(w/o the PB in your hair). If we don't talk to each other we won't learn as much. What ever you are feeling just know that somewhere someone else fels the same way and we are all looking for the same answers.

[This message has been edited by ANNETTE H (edited 08-24-2003).]

Old 08-24-2003, 08:42 AM   #9

Golden Girl HB User
Unhappy

Oh yeah - the fresh fruit-what about drinking water and exercise? When I had my latest Thyroid tests done I saw a Nurse Practitioner, which I really liked, but her suggestions were, eat more fruit, drink water, exercise and cut out caffiene. Which I am sure all this advice is good for you but I don't think it is going to cure the problems. I drink about 60 oz of water a day and actually have cut out alot of cafiene and I do exercise, when I feel good.

The only way I can describe my fatigue is - it's like after you have been sick with a bad cold or a virus and you feel so wiped out, well that's how I feel the majority of the time. When I come home from work if I dare lay down, I will fall asleep and I have fallen asleep in an upright position. It takes me all weekend to recover from the week Usually on Mondays I feel good because I have done nothing for 2 days but lay around. But no one understands so when my co-workers ask if I had a good weekend I just say I sure did.

Old 08-24-2003, 10:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
That eat more fruit advice I find amusing as the more progressive drs such as Dr. Mercola and even my own dr says limit fruit as it is nothing but sugar anyway. I already drink 70 oz water & no caffiene. I saw a naturopath who after I told her that said "well drink 90 oz then".

I've been having difficulty sleeping lately. I decided to try melatonin for first time last night. I went out like a light.

Old 08-24-2003, 01:56 PM   #11

Golden Girl HB User
I not only have the physical fatigue but it is also the mental fatigue. I can run an errand after work (sometimes) if I know exactly where it is and exactly what it is that I need to get, but if I have to "think" about it then I can't do it. It is like I'm drained mentally and physically.

The water thing - when the NP told me to drink water and I told her I was drinking about 60 oz a day, she also said to drink between 90oz and 100oz.

It seems a shame that we can go on these boards and talk to total strangers and get more advice and understanding than the Doctors that we pay. I don't know if they feel that they don't have the time, they're trying to see as many people as they can in a day, or unless you're bleeding or an extreme emergency then they think it is nothing. I wonder what they would do if their daughters, wife, sister, or Mother layed around all the time and wasn't able to work, if they would brush them off also.

I am trying to find some answers here because I don't want to go back and fight with the Doctors. (see my post "Test results back..now what?"

[This message has been edited by Golden Girl (edited 08-24-2003).]

Old 08-24-2003, 02:21 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have heard all the stuff you guys are talking about. I stopped drinking soda. In fact, I don't drink much caffeinated drinks at all. I drink mostly water. Some juice and some milk. I have been inching up in pounds for many years now. When I was a teenager, they used to call me "string bean" because I was so thin. Now I'm 6 feet tall and about 300 lbs. Been gaining 5-10 lbs. a year and just can't seem to lose it no matter what I do or don't do. I have decided that if I loose weight, that's great. If I don't, that's OK too. I can accept that. But it won't stop me from trying. I REFUSE to let this crap get me down! I am not able to work at this point but I'm sure that I will find some doctor somewhere who will believe that this is not all in my mind. I have been reading the messages on the board for just a few days and you all have already gave me great advise and shared your stories with me. Thanks to all of you and may you all know that through your horrific journeys with your thyroid troubles (and all that encompasses), you have helped someone today and each day that you reach out to others.
Have a GREAT DAY!!!
Barb

Old 08-24-2003, 04:45 PM   #13

ANNETTE H HB User
Lightbulb

Hi. Isn't it totally unbelievable that Hypo/Hyper-T is no better respected than it is????? Too bad more men don't have it! I would like to see the men I know try to function even one day w H/H-T. PMS would be bad enough,but through in a little H/H-T and lets see what kind of wars would be started!!!! Although to be fair,it seems that even the drs who are women don't seem to understand.In "Thyroid Power" by K.&R. Shames, they call Hypo-T AN UNDECLARED EPIDEMIC. Why is it is difficult to get a dr that knows how to treat the patient,not the lab work?

Old 08-24-2003, 05:26 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Eat some fruit, drink more water. Here have an antidepressant, you need to exercise. How's your home life? Maybe you have stress and you don't know it. It's amazing that these doctors don't get physically assaulted. Oh wait, most of us are to tired to make a fist. Don't let anyone, especially those who are supposed to love and support you, bring you down or make you doubt yourself. It's a disease, not an attitude. I didn't get help until I got a little ornory(sp)(mean). Keep trying. LOL IWL

Old 08-24-2003, 05:33 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've been told that it's in the teaching. Med students are taught how to interpret lab results really well. Too bad listening to the patient and being sympathetic isn't taught. Dr.s years ago would take the time to LISTEN to their patients. Now it's "in, say hi, do the test, out and we'll call ya in 10-14 days and let you know". If they were to take the time to not only listen but hear us also, they couldn't fit so many patients in. OH NO! LESS MONEY!!!
As I said in an earlier posting, I'm going to look on the bright side. Some of you told me to get another Dr. Well, my doc has made the choice for me. He sent me a letter telling me that it is no longer cost effective to carry my HMO in his medical center. WHAT A BLESSING!!!! Now I can get rid of him AND HMO!!!!
AMEN!!!
Barb

[This message has been edited by Bosmom (edited 08-24-2003).]

Closed Thread