It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2003, 08:04 AM   #1

imsotired HB User
Red face am I crazy?

Could someone tell me...am I crazy or is it my doctor? I have SO MANY hypothyroid symtoms that it is easier to tell you which ones I DON'T have, but my TSH is 5.59. While that is "high", my doctor says because of my age (26) that it is really nothing to worry about, and he never treats anything below a TSH 10. I also have heart palpitations 4-5 times per week, usually while resting. He says this is a HYPERthyroid symptom and that if he were to treat me for HYPOthyroidism, the palpitations would only get WORSE! Is this true? Can anyone help me?

Old 08-21-2003, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking

all i know is that i was treated for hypo at a TSH level of 3.9, and altho' i feel lousy AGAIN (so sleepy!), felt better for about three months ay synthroid 75mcg, and as far as i know, heart palps can be a sign of both hypO and hypER ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2003, 08:29 AM   #3
(female)

Lithiate HB User
Get a new doctor. Now. This guy is failing as a doc and keeping you sick.

Old 08-21-2003, 08:32 AM   #4
(female)

adderall_angel HB User
I am tired alot too. Just had my levels tested in April (see Detailed Test Results Post) any input Jingbts?

Old 08-21-2003, 09:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
imsotired,
It's the doctor who's crazy... or at the very least, sorely ignorant. The American Assn of Clinical Endocrinologists now states the any TSH above 3 is suspect of hypothyroidism. Here's some ammo to take to him to prove the point. The following quote comes from the AACE website ~ [url="http://www.aace.com/pub/tam2003/press.php"]http://www.aace.com/pub/tam2003/press.php[/url]
It says:
"Until November 2002, doctors had relied on a normal TSH level ranging from 0.5 to 5.0 to diagnose and treat patients with a thyroid disorder who tested outside the boundaries of that range5 . Now AACE encourages doctors to consider treatment for patients who test outside the boundaries of a narrower margin based on a target TSH level of 0.3 to 3.04. AACE believes the new range will result in proper diagnosis for millions of Americans who suffer from a mild thyroid disorder, but have gone untreated until now.

'The prevalence of undiagnosed thyroid disease in the United States is shockingly high - particularly since it is a condition that is easy to diagnose and treat,' said Hossein Gharib, MD, FACE, and president of AACE. 'The new TSH range from the AACE guidelines gives physicians the information they need to diagnose mild thyroid disease before it can lead to more serious effects on a patient's health - such as elevated cholesterol, heart disease, osteoporosis, infertility, and depression.'
"

Edited to add... The palpatations happen when the heart rhythm that has slowed due to the effect of hypoT, attempts to "catch up" by throwing in extra beats.
Please get a new doctor who knows what he's doing. An endocrinologist may be far more helpful than a GP.

[This message has been edited by midwest1 (edited 08-21-2003).]

Old 08-21-2003, 07:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking

all of these posts are right -- get a new doc NOW!

jb

Old 08-22-2003, 07:08 AM   #7
(female)

brookeysma HB User
You are not crazy. I had all the symptoms of HYPO and HYPER (with multinodular goiter). My TSH was really low (.497) and my DR said that there was nothing wrong with the function of my thyroid. Because of the large nodule that I had and it being COLD, I had my thyroid removed 4 weeks ago and wow what a difference!! I am not nearly as exhausted or cranky, I sleep better, my moods are stabilizing. The kicker in this all is that I really do like my new ENDO but when I told him how I feel so much better and most have the symptoms have improved, he said that none of those symptoms were related to my thyroid and basically I was stressed. BLAH BLAH BLAH...Whatever...LOL I know the difference!!

Old 08-22-2003, 07:19 AM   #8

imsotired HB User
Talking

Thank you everyone for your help!! I have been doing so much "homework" on all this over the past couple of weeks (which is how I found y'all) and this is the first time I really feel like I'm getting somewhere! It's nice to be able to tell someone how I feeling and not get "It's just anxiety" or have someone make me feel as if I'm just MAKING UP this stuff! You are all great! Thank you! See my other post to help me find a new doc!

Old 08-23-2003, 01:04 AM   #9
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
This is an example of a really bad doctor that's keeping you sick and suffering. Run as far away from this quack as you can.

Old 08-25-2003, 06:43 AM   #10
(female)

brookeysma HB User
Trust me, you are not crazy....I bet you if you ask anyone on this bored, they have been where you are...It really stinks when you feel so horrible and everyone think you just complain alot or are a hypochondriac. We know ourselves and know when things are out of whack. Just keep pushing until you get some answers and remember to go with your gut instincts. I did and it did a world of good for me.

Old 08-25-2003, 09:24 AM   #11
KarenDesmondC

Please dont give up ,or blame yourself. You need to be treated and treated kindly. Find a new Dr. Are you close to Meep?

Old 08-28-2003, 06:25 PM   #12

SandyJR HB User
I hope you decided to get yourself another doctor. I have been reading about this and have learned a great deal. We are the best judges of whats going on with our bodies, when something is wrong, the body tells us and no matter what a dr may say, if we arent feeling right, we just keep going until we find a doctor who can help us. Good luck and keep us posted.

Closed Thread