It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2003, 05:38 PM   #1

wxKathy HB User
Question lump on my rt thyroid-what does it mean?

Hello,

I went to the endocrinologist today (first visit) - he found a lump on the right lobe of my thyroid and will do an ultrasound next week - can anyone tell me what this means...that is, am I hypo or hyper if I have a lump? or something else??? He did new blood tests and will get results next week - but labs from 3 weeks ago (no T3) were:

TSH =.4 range: 0.35-5.5
Free T4 = 1.04 range: 0.61-1.76

But I think my throat is more swollen since those labs....(I gained 55 lbs in the last year and have fatigue/constipation etc....whatever that points towards)...

This lump is scaring me...thanks for your feedback...

K

Old 08-28-2003, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
I don't know anything about that so I'll just give you a bump up so that anyone who knows will see your thread and might be able to answer your questions. Good luck!
Barb

[This message has been edited by Bosmom (edited 08-28-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2003, 07:41 AM   #3

joe--01 HB User
That's what I had. You go for the ultrasound and walla they find that you have a lump. then you get blood tests and they show everything normal and then they stick needle in your thyroid for a biopsy --- not enough cells --- results inconclusive so doctor decides to take it out because you have a lump there.
As far as I am concerned you can skip the ultrasound, the blood work and the biopsy as the results don't matter.

Old 08-28-2003, 09:03 AM   #4

imsotired HB User
Please DON'T listen to that advice!! The results DO matter. You need to take care of yourself. If it turns out it's nothing, great! But if it is, you need to know so you can get the proper treatment as soon as possible and feel better! Good Luck!!!

Old 08-28-2003, 10:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User
You probably have hashimoto's thyroiditis. There are a lot of posts on lumps and goiters and hashimoto's here on this board. You may want to search for those terms.
I went through what you are going through. I ended up having a removal of my thyroid and have never felt better.
Good Luck
Nodi

Old 08-28-2003, 11:39 AM   #6
Inactive

peregrine HB User
I agree with Imsotired,

I also had a swollen thyroid that turned out to be a goiter and I have Hash. I went through all the necessay tests and it turned out to be benign. It is still monitored once a year by palpation to make sure it isn't growing and I also have the blood panel. Everyone is different so you need the diagnostic tests to determine what YOU do or do not have.

All the best!

Peregrine

Old 08-29-2003, 08:14 AM   #7

wxKathy HB User
Thank you all so much for your support - as each day goes by I get more scared - until Friday when they do the ultrsound.

I'm 38 and there's so much cancer in my family - but I don't think any thyroid cancer. I'm sure it will be okay....and hopefully it will give answer to why I have gained 50+lbs in the last year....

Thanks to you on this board, I have learned that meds can shrink the lump, so if it's not cancerous I'll give that a chance.

How much does the needle biopsy hurt?? Can you work the same day?

Also I had a major abdominal surgery in 1992 to remove a football sized mass on my ovary (benign), so I know I could get through a surgery on this...(hopefully),....my body is very sensitive and it took about a year for me to recover from the 1992 surgery so I am loathing the idea of any more...but I am getting ahead of things...

Thanks again for your support - your replies really helped me and I don't feel so alone....

K

Old 08-29-2003, 01:13 PM   #8

Ibis HB User
Hi there, please listen to imsotired. Please get the tests done. It is so much better to be informed. Some people here have a hard time with their reality, but as I said, I believe you need to be aware of your life to live a good one.
Good luck!

Old 08-30-2003, 07:34 AM   #9

KazKan HB User
My experience with the needle biopsy was fine. It pinches while being done and that was it. I have had three. It is very quick and when you are done you will feel fine and able to do anything you want. Good Luck, KK

Old 08-30-2003, 11:35 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Aimee8396 HB User
When having the FNA, ask for a local. This shot stings for a minute, but then you feel nothing else after. I had 6 samples taken, and felt nothing but pressure. After I went out to lunch and was fine. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 08-30-2003, 11:54 AM   #11

wxKathy HB User
Thanks everyone - I really appreciate your support!

Closed Thread