It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2003, 10:24 AM   #1

Cindy20Stewart HB User
Question Cholesterol

When I rec'd my lab results my cholesterol was high - 263. All of them were high - the good and bad. And my white cell counts were really whacked out also. (Some high, some low, none normal) I ask my endo about my cholesterol being high. I am overweight and I ask him if I needed to talk to my GO about it. He said no, not to worry bc my thyroid made my cholesterol high. And he also said it whacked out my white cells. Does that sound right? Should I not be concerned about high colesterol bc I have thyroid issues? Didn't quite sound right to me, so I thought I'd inquire as to what you guys thought about it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2003, 11:44 AM   #2

fromos5 HB User
Hi Cindy,

One year ago my TSH was 1.0 and my HDL was 62 and LDL was 90.

A couple of weeks ago my TSH was up to 11.58! and my HDL was 70, LDL 140!

Yes, being hypo can significantly raise your LDL cholesterol. You generally WANT higher HDL numbers, though (within reason).

Your 263 is pretty high, but I suppose if your TSH is high also then it really may come down also when you get the thyroid thing under control. I know mine will come back down so neither me nor my doc are worried.

Debbie

Hashi 16+ years / Partial Thyroidectomy 1989
Type 1 Diabetes (autoimmune, insulin-dep.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2003, 12:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Hypothyroidism is the second leading cause of elevated LDL cholesterol after poor diet. That fact astounded me when I first read it - especially because my PCP wanted me to take Lipitor [$$$], but he didn't want to test my thyroid.

That doesn't mean you can eat every bad food you want, though. It just means that even if you eat as healthfully as you can, you still may have high LDL, because it won't come down till your thyroid is functioning the right way, or until supplemental thyroid hormones replace its function.

[This message has been edited by midwest1 (edited 06-18-2003).]

Old 06-18-2003, 03:02 PM   #4

Cindy20Stewart HB User
Talking

Ahhh...thank you. I wasn't sure whether to believe him. The dr is not much on talking and I feel like I am pulling teeth to ask a question. Thanks for the more in depth answers!

Old 06-18-2003, 07:47 PM   #5

Cabbage HB User
I just had my cholesterol tested and my HDL has increased but my LDL hasn't increased. The doctor did not suggest any cholesterol medication.

My synthroid is being increased to 150 mcg and I'm wondering if my cholesterol will be affected by this increase?

Old 08-08-2003, 03:02 PM   #6

Cabbage HB User
After being on 150 mcg of synthroid for 6 weeks my total cholesterol decreased from 243 to 192!

My dr. informed me that my cholesterol had jumped at 112 mcg of thyroid and my tryglicerides had increased, although my sugar level was fine and he didn't want to explore Lipitor until he had my thyroid levels in check as my cholesterol could decrease when my thyroid is stabilized and looks like he was right!

I tell people how thyroid affects cholesterol and they think I'm crazy, but it's so true.

Old 08-08-2003, 04:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Cabbage,
Thanks so much for reporting how your dose increase affected your cholesterol for the better. I'm hoping the same will happen for me as soon as my levels are in balance.
How long have you been taking thyroid meds?

Old 08-31-2003, 02:16 PM   #8

Cabbage HB User
I started taking synthroid in 10/02. My initial doseage was 112 mcg daily and that amount worked up until June, when I was increased to 150...

I can honestly say that being on synthroid and being properly treated has totally changed my life for the better!

I feel GREAT and I'm productive .

Some of the "little" things I've noticed since getting regulated with synthroid:

1) Regularity - I go every morning, and sometimes another time during the day.

2) Energy - levels I hadn't experienced in 10 years.

3) Hormonal - my menstrual cycle is every 30 days now, can almost predict within a couple hours when it will start ...something I could never do unless I was on birth control pills and I stopped those 18 years ago.

The reality on weight - I initially lost 11 lb but have not lost since. My dr told me that it would take a restrictive diet and additional exercise to lose more. I feel so good, the extra weight isn't as bothersome as it was before!

Old 08-31-2003, 03:27 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Wow. I never realized that cholesterol levels could be affected by the thyroid. Last year, my doc checked my cholesterol level. It was 265. He refused to put me on meds because I'm overweight. The doc at work told me he couldn't believe my doc would "leave me out there high and dry". There's another thing to put in my "Ask the doc" journal. That's where I'm keeping track of all my symptoms and questions to ask the doc. Brain fog prevents me from remembering all my symptoms and questions when I visit the doc. Thanks you guys for sharing this info!
Barb

Old 08-31-2003, 03:36 PM   #10
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
If it helps, I posted a long treatise about this topic somewhere (I'll have to go look)...

Edit: Awwwwwwwwwwyeah, here it is: [url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/003950.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/003950.html[/url]

[This message has been edited by Sky_Eagle1 (edited 09-01-2003).]

Old 08-31-2003, 08:58 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
I've always had wonderful cholesterol levels.....my doc once said they couldn't get any better. Then I lost a bunch of weight on Atkins, plus added selenium to my daily supplements, and my hypo of many years suddenly went to hyper! The doc lowered my dosage of Synthroid, but I felt so horrible being hyper, that I quit taking my pills for a little over a full week. The hyperness caused me to be jittery, nervous, paranoid, plus I would have nightmares that would be going in fast-forward mode. I just couldn't bear to wait for my thyroid levels to slowly change, I had to do it fast. Bad yes, I know....but I'd much rather be hypo than hyper. When I went hypo, my cholesterol suddenly changed. My triglycerides went from 143 to 95, thanks to Atkins, and this was excellent, but my HDL went from 77 to 63 and my LDL went from 130 to 141. Doc said not to worry, and that my levels would improve as soon as I was on my meds regularly. When I was hyper, my TSH was .12, and after a little over a week of no meds, it went to 5.79. Believe it or not, I actually feel pretty good at that level. I have been taking my meds for over a week now, so I assume that TSH level has dropped a little.

Marilyn

Closed Thread