It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2003, 09:58 AM   #1

Emi001 HB User
Exclamation Synthroid and Anxiety... Anyone?

Hello, I just started Synthroid and I notice I need REALLY moody and having more anxiety. I get really mad for every little thing... I can feel it through my body.
I had an over active Thyroid b4 but with the iodine my levels went down so I started this.
The Stress and Anxiety is now same as I was Hyper.
Anyone have the same thing ?
Thanks for reading.

Old 08-22-2003, 10:00 AM   #2

Emi001 HB User
Sorry I mean I've "BEEN"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2003, 11:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Alot of times adding some T3 Cytomel will calm you down. Or even better take Armour. It contains both T3 & T4 and is cheaper because its been around for 50 yrs.

Old 08-22-2003, 12:22 PM   #4

Emi001 HB User

thanks for the info.
But is it normal to feel like this with Synthroid?
I called my Dr and he's out of town til Monday. I even called my reg Dr and he's out of town.

Old 08-22-2003, 12:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
It's pretty common to feel worse before you feel better when you begin treatment. It's a shock to the body to suddenly be getting what it didn't have enough of before... if that makes sense.

Everyone is different, but I began feeling better about 3 weeks after beginning t'ment.

Old 08-22-2003, 12:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
I think this is normal if you are getting too much Synthroid, as I am. My doc decreased my dose from 175 to 150, but I wasn't coming down off the high fast enough and I felt miserable with the anxiety, nervousness, paranoia, etc.... and taking that pill every morning was just like forcing amphetmines down my throat, so I quit them for several days. Yesteray I felt the most normal I'd felt in ages, so this morning I took a Synthriod. Now this afternoon I feel high as a kite again. Now they say that we shouldn't be able to feel the effects of the hormone that fast, but I beg to differ. Why did I all of a sudden get those hyper symptoms. I wish I had two broken legs, rather than this thyroid problem....at least then I'd know they were healing and would get better soon. As it stands, this is a frustrating guessing game of "let's see what works now!"

Marilyn

Old 08-22-2003, 01:06 PM   #7

Emi001 HB User
Thanks for the reply. Omg that is how i feel .... Since my Endo's out of town they gave me this # to call to talk to this other Dr.
THe nurse called me back to ask all the ?. I guess the Dr's going to look at my info and call back.

I can't Drive in peace.. I feel like I'm getting Anxiety while I'm driving and it was crazy.. I went to see the Jason movie. I don't get that scared but last night omg I was like parenoid at the theather!
MY hubby's like are you ok?..lol
I feel like I'm going nuts.
ANd guess what I been only taking this for about a week.
And I never felt like this b4.
Emi

Old 08-22-2003, 01:07 PM   #8

Emi001 HB User
Thanks for the reply. Omg that is how i feel .... Since my Endo's out of town they gave me this # to call to talk to this other Dr.
THe nurse called me back to ask all the ?. I guess the Dr's going to look at my info and call back.

I can't Drive in peace.. I feel like I'm getting Anxiety while I'm driving and it was crazy.. I went to see the Jason movie. I don't get that scared but last night omg I was like parenoid at the theather!
MY hubby's like are you ok?..lol
I feel like I'm going nuts.
ANd guess what I been only taking this for about a week.
And I never felt like this b4.
Emi

Old 08-22-2003, 02:15 PM   #9

Emi001 HB User
I just got a call from the other Dr's nurse and i was told to stop taking the meds til I talk to my Dr on Monday. Im sure i'll feel tomorrow once I stop this.
Emi

Old 08-23-2003, 12:45 AM   #10
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
If it helps, I can describe it this way...sometimes when you start taking the thyroid hormones, you will GET hypothyroid symptoms. The reason being is your body gets used to not having what you are deficient in. When you finally add that deficient substance, the body wakes up and goes "hey wait a minute, I got this stuff I really need now" and the body starts expecting it. When it doesn't get exactly what it needs, you start getting symptoms. If they are truly hypothyroid symptoms, you have to be patient and get MORE thyroid hormones until the symptoms disappear. This often scares people out of getting enough thyroid hormones to adequately supplement to get the thyroid hormone the body needs.

Old 08-23-2003, 07:07 AM   #11

Emi001 HB User
Thanks for the reply.
I think my Dr will lower my dose..
Not sure. I stopped taking the pill today.
I just have to wait til Monday.
It's really a shock to your System.
Haa~ Getting tierd of all this but I have no other choice..lol
Emi

Old 09-01-2003, 11:39 AM   #12

AlmostThere HB User
I was so glad to see this issue "anxiety" addressed again.

I have severe anxiety with my T-4 replacment. I have increased to 85 mcg due to a high TSH. I will probably need to be up to 100 mcg or more. Since RAI, my thyroid continues to die. I'm a medical secretary (although I lost my job due to the anxiety a year ago), but am exposed to all the adverse reaction information, and one of the documented adverse side effects of T-4, Synthroid Levoxyl, ect, can be nervousness anxiety, ect. I have to split my dose up into 2 doses per day. I take my first at 7:00-8:00am and my second at noon to 1:00pm depending on when I have eaten food. I also take T-3 (cytomel) which doesn't make me anxious. The best I have felt since I became hypo was the two week period my endo let me go off of my T-4 (we were going to try to use T-3 only) OMG, I felt like a human! But my TSH went up high fast, and my Free T-4 also, so I had to go back on
T-4. I hate it, but I'm hoping one day my body gets used to it. I went from 70 mcg to 85 over the last week and half, and I'm mean as a black snakes (my husband says black snakes are not mean though , but anyway, I'm MEAN.

I do have to take an anti-anxiety pill. I currently take Klonazepam. It's a blessing, as I feel like ssMarilyn, I feel like I take a "speeder" everytime I take my T-4. So I take half of the Klonazepam around 5:00 pm, and then at bedtime I take a larger dose to enable me to sleep (before I learned about Klonazepam, I did not sleep at all). As soon as it wears off, BOOM, I'm on the road again to anxiety city! Actually the Klonazepam is made to build up in your system, so I do much better during the day, I'm just more sedated than I ever cared to be, and it disables me from doing the things I want to do, and the things I used to do.

I also get the effect within an hour from the T-4. I have heard it all "no one has this fast of a response, no one has trouble with this medication, ect." Well, I'm here to tell you I do, and I agree, I would rather have two broken legs and know someday they would heal.

This is a hard thing to have to do, it's like a nightmare for me. Thank God for bullentin boards like this one, where you don't feel so alone!

Take care everyone, thanks for being here, and God bless!

[This message has been edited by AlmostThere (edited 09-01-2003).]

[This message has been edited by AlmostThere (edited 09-01-2003).]

Old 09-01-2003, 01:20 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
I was hypo for years, and on 150 mcg of Synthroid. Then I saw a specilist, and we experimented with my meds, and finally settled on 175mcg every other day, and 150 every other day. I felt good for awhile and then after many months, I went hyper and felt lousy. Then my GP told me to just take the 150, but I was so keyed up, nervous and paranoid, that I stopped it for over a week...and felt pretty good, but then my TSH went to 5.79. (When I was hyper, it was .32) Now I'm back on the 150, but feel really nervous again, dream all night long, plus have occasional nausea. Could this be the Sythroid affecting me? Could it be affecting me like this after being off it for about 10 days and then just a week of taking it again? I hate this yo-yo stuff!

Marilyn

[This message has been edited by ssMarilyn (edited 09-01-2003).]

[This message has been edited by ssMarilyn (edited 09-01-2003).]

Old 09-01-2003, 02:14 PM   #14

Emi001 HB User
Hiya.
Well I went to see my reg Dr about my Anxiety. He gave me meds to control it. I was overly Stress cuz lots were going on in my life that week.
Now the 0.1gm of Synthroid is not giving my anxiety so I'm happy.
I just want this puffy ness to go away.
It's been only 2 weeks since i started taking Synthroid meds so i hope it'll kick in soon.
Emi

Old 09-01-2003, 03:42 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
I've been on synthroid 0.05 mg for 7 weeks. Yesterday morning, I took my pill and forgot and ate about 20 minutes later. Today, I forgot to take my pill. Up until yesterday, I was pretty good about taking the pill every morning and not eating for at least an hour afterwards. But today (and a little bit yesterday) I've been a real bear. My husband and I went to Walmart Supercenter this afternoon. There were a lot of people there and I don't really care to be in big crouds. But today, I was sooo nervous, I wanted to RAM everyone with the cart I was pushing. You know, those people standing in the middle of the aisles. I apologised to my husband several times because I really was testing his patience. I know these kinds of feelings can happen if you're taking more t4 than your body can handle. I'm trying to figure out why I've been like this the past couple of days. Can this happen when you forget to take your meds?
Barb

Closed Thread