It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2003, 12:56 PM   #1

kael HB User
Question does anyone get tremor or twitches with hypo?

I'm not sure whether my symptoms have been related to thyroid or not, but I am now hypo though I have tremor. And the deal is that sometimes it is bad and sometimes it goes away.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, please post so I can have some peace of mind!!

Hugs,
Kael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2003, 01:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Are you talking about muscle twitches? I have heard a lot of people complain of this. I have it also, sometimes it is sooo annoying especially if it is the eyelid, I had that one last for days, usually they only last a short while and are gone.

Keep in mind thyroid effects everything and can cause a wide array of strange symptoms. What a bummer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2003, 02:01 PM   #3
(female)

TinyTot2 HB User
I get the tremor, too. That is, if we are talking about the same thing. For me, it isn't anything like an eye twitch. It goes like this:

1) start feeling confused (can't concentrate)
2) a panicky/tingly feeling comes over me
3) heart starts racing
4) start feeling extremely warm
5) hands start shaking (not something that is exremely noticable... only to me)
6) feel very disoriented

Is this what you have been feeling, or is it just me?
I never had this problem until I started Synthroid over 6 years ago. Thought it was diabetes... tests said no. Thought it was low blood sugar... tests said no. I recently stopped using Synthroid, so I can't really say that it was my problem. Hopefully my new meds will take care of this.

Did you have your blood sugar tested?

Old 08-08-2003, 03:23 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User
Yes I do notice these symptoms when I restrict my diet alot or havent eaten much all day then this will start to kick in around mid afternoon. I do notice when I eat it will help some.

Old 08-08-2003, 03:48 PM   #5

kael HB User
Actually - here's my whole story - it's been very scary.

About four months ago now, I started having some cramping in my left calf - eventually the sciatic nerve felt irritated. I saw a chiro with no relief and progressive weakness in calf and toes. (strength has returned here now!)Then the nerves started twitching only in that leg. Over days the nerve twitches "moved" up the left side of my spine all the way to my head and eventually encompassed my whole body. I even had them inside my ear canals and in my sinuses. Along with this, I felt so sick in my muscles (like the worst flu ever) that I thought I was dying. Eventually, much of the time the twitches became relentless - and I also had internal buzzing along my spinal cord that affected my internal organs so badly that they caused me dry heaves almost nightly. (My symptoms are almost always more severe at night.) Now I read that many here on this board experience nausea and even vomitting at night and in the morning. At my worst point, I was not sleeping more than 2 hours at a time because my nerves had gotten so sensitive that when they touched anything static for long enough (like the bed) they began to buzz and twitch wildly - so much of my body must touch the bed to sleep that it overloaded my system and I started to get literal rushes of adrenaline that woke me up. My arms and legs became progressively weaker and for a few days I had burning under my skin all over my body. For several weeks, I was basically disabled by this. I lost 20 pounds though thankfully my appetite has now returned and the weight loss has stopped.

I have had normal MRI's and Brain scan, normal nerve conduction and muscle tests (but 4 weeks ago)-and normal blood tests ... all except for a positive ANA titer of 1:640 and abnormal thyroid levels (I have been treated for hypothyroid for years) which is now being monitored by an endocronologist. I also found that I have elevated thyroid antibodies of 141 with the norm at 35<. He says that he hasn't really seen symptoms this severe caused only by thyroid, however.

I have seen two rheumatologists and two neurologists and they are baffled because my symptoms don't exactly match any box that they could put me in.

The good news is that I have started sleeping better (though still nowhere near normal) and I'm left with tired and aching muscles, mostly calves (better sometimes, worse others) and this overall body tremor that is somewhat like Parkinson's disease - though no one can see it - I can just feel it. And I'm still weak and get fatigued easily. Now my ankles and feet and calves have begun swelling slightly by the end of the day. You'll see my questions posted all over this board in search of an answer.

Don't know if any of this sounds familiar to anyone, but thought it wouldn't hurt to post here. I'd like to believe that all of these symptoms are related to my thyroid, because that makes them treatable. It is frightening to lose control of your body and not know what is wrong. This has cost me my summer and thousands of dollars in medical bills. Someone suggested possible subacute thyroiditis - that's the closest reasonable explanation I have been able to find.

Sorry to go on and on - needed to vent.

Hugs,
Kael

Old 08-08-2003, 06:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Ginger,
Sounds like you are experiencing a blood sugar drop. Blood sugar problems can be common with thyroid disorders so you should watch that and be sure to eat a good snack to keep from getting the drop.

Old 08-09-2003, 12:43 AM   #7

kay77449 HB User
Yes I have had the twich in my left eye and along with that bad cramps in my fingers to the point of tears in my eyes. What I have read and talk to others about that it dose have to do with the thyroid problems.

Old 08-09-2003, 04:05 AM   #8

blacktulips HB User
hi Ho

Since taking my meds I don't get the twitch in the eyelid.
I do get a tremor in my hands just after i wake up for a little while but goes away.
I get tremor in my legs when I walk or stand on the for to long but I take a walking aid with me when I go for a walk that helps alot.
I m not sure if this is what you are meaning but I hope this makes sence to you what Im saying.

Take care
Colleen

Old 08-09-2003, 09:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
I've had the eye twitch problem off and on. A friend suggested it was a magnesium definciency, so I started taking a supplement. The twitches go away, but then the magnesium is upsetting to my stomach. Not sure what the solution is.

Tiny Tot all the symptoms you list sound like hypoglycemia to me. How did they conduct your blood sugar test? I have hypoglycemia in addition to hypothyroid.

[This message has been edited by AngelaA (edited 08-09-2003).]

Old 08-09-2003, 09:32 PM   #10
Inactive

roni624 HB User
Wow..I guess our thyroid disfunctions cause all kinds of problems. I have the twitches on my eyelids, back part of my thighs and calves and sometimes the top of my feet.-Roni

Old 08-10-2003, 06:44 AM   #11

Hillary HB User
Kael,
I, too, had muscle twitches all over my body and an internal buzzing. It was very overwhelming and I couldn't sleep either. I've been on synthroid for 9 months and my levels were a little hyper. I started going to a Naturopathic Doctor and am feeling a lot better. I still take my meds but have stopped dairy foods and started vitamins. The thing that that made the biggest difference was calcium/magnesium with vit. D. I take Sisu 1:1 with vitamin D. I started taking 2 a day and now take 4 and the twitches have gone away. The muscle and joint aches have lessened too. I take 1 in morning(4 hours away from synthroid), 1 in afternoon and 2 before bed. The magnesium relaxes you and helps you sleep. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 08-10-2003, 08:16 AM   #12

kael HB User
Smile

Hillery-

you are a Godsend to me. Thank you for replying! I am going to send you a separate post in case you don't see this. I have been watching your threads too and I have some very specific questions for you, only if you don't mind.

Many Hugs,
Kael

Old 08-10-2003, 09:45 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
Haillary...what is sisu 1:1?

I also have twitches and they drive me crazy...you can see my muscles jumping...it's painless though. And I recently started having the internal buzzing...I had read about it and couldn't imagine what it feels like. Well, here is how I explained it to my husband....it feels like if you had a pager set to vibration mode and held it against your skin....lol

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
50 mcg's of Synthroid
DX'd in May 2003

Old 08-10-2003, 11:31 AM   #14

Hillary HB User
Hi all,
Glad I could help through my suffering. Sisu 1:1 is the brand name of calcium/magnesium with vit. D. I don't know if you can get it in the U.S., but I would think so. I starting having muscle twitches while I was still hypo and then the internal trembling came after that. I think a lot of it was due to stress from being sick. This is my first serious health problem and it was really overwhelming. I'm a stay at home mom with 2 young kids and I found it difficult to just do my daily activities. I cried all the time. We overshot my tsh twice and I went hyper so I went back and forth between hyper and hypo symptoms. Not conducive to good sleeping. I think I have finally found my correct dose, .100 (knock on wood). I've only been on it for 3 weeks, so we'll see. But the vitamins and homeopathic medicines have helped me through all this. I think without them, I would nearly have killed myself by now. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2003, 08:22 AM   #15
(female)

TinyTot2 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by AngelaA:

Tiny Tot all the symptoms you list sound like hypoglycemia to me. How did they conduct your blood sugar test? I have hypoglycemia in addition to hypothyroid.

[This message has been edited by AngelaA (edited 08-09-2003).][/B]
AngelaA,

How do you handle the hypoglycemia? I am pretty sure that is what I have, but doctors keep testing for diabetes (which I don't have). I try to handle the attacks by eating something (either something sugary or saltly, whatever works to calm it down), but I want to stop it before it happens.

A few weeks ago I switched from Synthroid to Armour. Now I can't tell if it is hypoglycemia or just me adjusting to this new medication. What test would I have to ask for to see if I am hypoglycemic? Are there any tests??? I just want this to go away... it is very cumbersome seeing that the attacks usually happen during the morning hours when I am at work.

Closed Thread