It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2003, 03:05 PM   #1

sheets3 HB User
Question does thyroid removal always cause weight gain?

Hello everyone,
I am new to this board and have just had a thyroidectomy 2 days ago. I am going on synthroid today for a month and then off to prepare for RAI. I was wondering what your experiences have been with weight gain, fatigue, etc. after starting synthroid. Does it seem to help supplement the hormones immediately? I had my thyroid removed due to a papillary carcinoma so I never had any hypo symptoms to deal with before.
Also, did anyone who has had a thyroidectomy experience tingling sensations in their face and hands? I was told by my surgeon today that this was due to my parathyroids being "shocked" due to the surgery and that it should go away in a few days.
Any replys are greatly appreciated.

Old 09-05-2003, 04:12 PM   #2

ltw HB User
Smile

sheets3,
I had a total thyroidectomy about 3 weeks ago and also had the tingling feelings for a few days. It all went away about a week later. It had something to do with the parathyroid being in shock and also the fact that my surgeon accidentally took out 2 of them along with my thyroid He only told me to take 2 tums daily to increase my calcium level. Once the calcium level is normal, the tingling feeling is gone. Now my calcium level is normal. When my calcium level fell, all my hands and feet are very stiff. I got panic but after I took 3 tums, I felt better.

I saw that my weight increased rapidly in the past 4 days or so. I think it's because I just started taking Synthroid 2 days ago. They didn't tell me where to get the prescription for Synthroid, so I waited until I see my surgeon again for follow up meeting about 11 days post op. Then I have to wait another 2 weeks until I got a chance to see my physician. When I saw my surgeon, he told me that the hormone in my body is good for 2 weeks after the surgery. After that I have to start the replacement. But my physician was fully booked for a week. I was hypo for a few days which was horrible. But after taking Synthroid I feel much better.

Get a lot of rest! Take care of yourself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2003, 06:33 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Aimee8396 HB User
I'm assuming you had thyroid removal because of cancer since you're having RAI. When I went off my meds, my Dr. put me on a low iodine diet to prepare for RAI, She told me I would probably gain 5-10lbs while off meds, but that it would come off when I started back on meds. I actually lost 5lbs, since that diet was so hard to stick to, nothing tasted good. I was actually hoping to gain a few pounds since surgery, but have maintained my weight. My endo told me it that I would pretty much always stay this size because they keep my meds at hyper level. About the calcium issue, I had to have IV calcium in the hospital after surgery because my levels were so low. I went home on 4000mgs of calcium a day, and even now am supposed to take 1000mgs a day. I find that taking calcium pills makes me nauseous, so I just try and eat a lot of dairy. I hope that your RAI goes well, and that you have minimal weight gain. Good Luck, Aimee

Closed Thread