It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2003, 09:11 AM   #1

courtney28 HB User
Post Hurthle Cell 5cm tumor

Hello, I have been reading the posts on this board and have found them to be quite helpful. I am 23 years old and I just had my thyroid removed due to a tumor that was diagnosed as hurthle cell. Both the biopsy and the frozen section came out inconclusive as to whether or not the tumor is malignant. I am waiting for the results right now. Is there anyone else out there with a similar situation? I am wondering if hair loss is normal after surgery. Also, I have been feeling quite tired (even before I had the surgery). My thyroid levels were normal prior to having my thyroid removed. Could the tumor have been making me tired? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-16-2003, 10:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Hi Courtney,

I had my thyroid removed due to follicular cancer a few weeks ago. My fna and frozen section also came back inconclusive. Even after they dissected it, they still couldn't give me a difinate diagnosis. They ended up sending it to Mayo's to confirm it was malignant.
I, also, was losing my hair before my surgery and for a couple weeks after. My thyroid hormone levels were normal before my surgery, too. I'm not sure what causes this, but my dr. assured me it was normal and it would stop.
Hang in there. I know how scary it is to wait on results. Hopefully, yours will turn out benign. And, even if it is malignant, thyroid cancer is very curable.(as you probably already know)
Keep posting any questions you have. There are a lot of people on this board who have gone through this and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Hilery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2003, 10:07 AM   #3

yecats7 HB User
Hello,

I had a partial thyroidectomy in May 2003, initial was benign, the final pathology came back with Hurthle Cell Ca. Tumour size 2.5 cm by 2.0 cm. I had the rest of my thyroid removed July 21, 2003 and I am currently experiencing the blessed state of hypothyroidism as I am awaiting RAI on Monday August 25/2003. I was tired after the surgery, took about a week, but now due to the hypo I am more tired than before. I have found very little on specific information on Hurthle Cell Ca. but the prognosis is about the same as follicular. So Very good. as for hair loss, I have had a bit, but I am lucky to have thick dark hair and I haven't noticed any huge spots, mostly just more hair when I comb or brush it. I have been using more conditioner on it as it seems to be drier than normal, as well as I read somewhere on here Rosemary oil is good for it. I can't remember who wrote about it, but it isn't too far back in the scroll. I am 32, w/ two children ages 3 and 6. Let me know if you have any questions, or if you would like to email me directly. Thanks and take care, Stacey

Closed Thread