It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2003, 09:56 AM   #1

sbmoms HB User
Thumbs up Surgery

I will be having my thyroid removed next week. What can i expect just after surgery. Some say you get a choking feeling during the first few hrs after the operation. Thanks Susie

Old 08-08-2003, 10:14 AM   #2

ringbearer HB User
I didn't have a choking sensation, just the soreness you would expect from an incision. It was also uncomfortable to swallow. They had me eating soft foods and swallowing my pain meds by the end of the day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2003, 10:20 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Aimee8396 HB User
I didn't feel anything those first few hours, I was on so much pain meds. The next day after surgery I was ating and swallowing too. I don't ever remember a choking feeling, just pain from being cut open, and even that wasn't too bad. I was in more pain after childbirth, than with the thyroid surgery. Good luck to you!!

Old 08-08-2003, 03:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
Thumbs up

I just got mine removed on Tuesday. When I woke up, I felt no pain, but I was on pain killers, and I could hardly talk. I slept the whole day. The next day, I ate some solid food. There was no choking feeling, but there is just ome pressure when I swallow. It's kinda like when you're throat is really sore, and you can't swallow very well- but without the pain. I have had no pain from my neck- I can't move it very much though. It's sometimes incredibly stiff. I am so shocked at how exhausted I am though. I am sure after I type this I am going to need a 3 hour nap. Good luck! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Old 08-08-2003, 05:46 PM   #5

sbmoms HB User
Thumbs down

Thank you all so much, I was having panic attacks over this operation. I'm not a person who gets panic attacks either. It brought back memories of my father dying during an asthma attack. I kept thinking I was going to wake up from surgery gasping for air or choking. I have always hated anything tight around my neck and here I'm having my thyroid removed. lol One positive thing is I have felt so crappy all summer I have finally found out why and maybe this operation will be the start of me feeling better, Thanks again

Old 08-08-2003, 11:40 PM   #6

kay77449 HB User
Hi I will be having my thyroid surgery at the end of the month and I was glad to see that you are doing well as I have said I am scard to death right now. having a hard time sleeping right now and know that it is the thyroid problem along with the acks and pains that I have.how Many days were you on IV fluids.
take care

Old 08-09-2003, 12:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
Smile

I was really scared too, and I am the last person to worry about anything. I am very relieved though- everything is so good I wish I could throw my head back and laugh at all my concerns- but I can't move my neck! I was only on IV fluids for 24 hours. I assume I was given demoral right after my surgery, then later in the afternoon, and again at night so I could sleep- I asked for it then. In the morning after my surgery, they took out my staples and the one stitch I had in. I was a little unsteady on my feet, but I think the anesthetic took its toll on me more than other people. Oh yea, one of my fears my ablitly to be mobile- and I pretty much am. I just can't drive or reach high things. Any other questions feel free to ask, I was in your positions only four days ago... http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Old 08-09-2003, 01:37 PM   #8

sbmoms HB User
Thumbs up

One thing i don't understand. When you are told the biopsy came back positive.(for cancer cells)why would they not take out the whole gland. I'm going to have my whole thyroid taken out but so many that post here only had part of it taken out. What are some cases where they would take out part of the thyroid and not all. What did your biopsy say? Also my dr. said i would have to have a complete body scan every yr for five yrs. Do you guys have to have body scans also?
Thanks again, P.S. Today is the first day since i got the news i felt like doing anything. Went shopping and spent to much money. lol I felt so much better posting to you all.

Old 08-09-2003, 01:56 PM   #9
(female)

brookeysma HB User
I just wanted to wish you luck SB...I am in FL too (Deltona) and I just had a subtotal thyroidectomy on July 23rd. It was not near as bad as I had expected. I slept the entire day after I had the surgery. It was much needed rest considering I had spent the prior two months stressing over the surgery! You will do fine!! I never had a choking feeling either. I noticed a huge difference (for the better) post surgery because I had a 3 cm x 1.5 cm nodule that was really bothersome on my left lobe. Best of luck to you and please keep us posted!! RE: the shopping...are there any good sales around us?? LOL

Old 08-10-2003, 09:18 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Aimee8396 HB User
My FNA came back positive for papillary cells, and I had talked the surgeon into doing a total if the frozen came back inconclusive. The day of surgery the endo convinced me that if it wasn't cancer, I could live without meds forever with just half a thyroid. Of couse the frozen section was inconclusive, and then a week later final pathology came back positive for not only papillary, but follicular also, I was back in the hospital for another surgery. I was so upset. I wish I had just gone with my gut, but on the day of surgery( after I had already had a valium) was not the best time to be making decisions. The surgery itself isn't so bad, just be prepared to be tired. Any questions you have let us know. Aimee

Old 08-10-2003, 09:45 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
I had a 2.2 cm cold nodule. My FNA came back inconclusive. So, they went in to remove my left lobe and the frozen section was also inconclusive. Then, after they dissected it, all they could tell was that it was either a follicular adenoma(benign) or follicular carcinoma(malignant). They ended up sending it to Mayo's before I had a final diagnosis, which was follicular carcinoma. Then, of course, they had to go back in to remove the rest of my thyroid. I wish I would have had it all removed at once, but all in all neither surgery was too bad. My neck was pretty sore and I was very tired, but I didn't have a choking feeling or anything like that.
My dr. also told me I would need a whole body scan every year.
Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted.

Old 09-06-2003, 07:08 AM   #12

sbmoms HB User
Thumbs up

Hi everyone, Well I had my surgery on Thurs. and I must say it wasn't bad at all. They only took out the left lobe. I will get the final report on Mon. I had the surgery at 12:30 and by 6:30 I was drinking and eating jello, but then I did vomit. I was so darn hungry. lol I really only have a sore throat. I haven't even taking any pain medicine. It's still hard to swallow. One thing that confuses me is if the first biopsy in the dr's office comes back positive for follicular variant papillary carcinoma and then the ones while operate come back negative, what does that mean. Does it mean the nodule had cancer and not the gland itself? I guess I'll ask the dr. on Wed. Thanks again, Susie All the little hints you guys gave me worked well, like bending your head down when you swallow. lol

Old 09-07-2003, 09:01 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User
Glad to hear you're doing well!!!!
Thanks for keeping us posted.

Nodi

Old 09-08-2003, 12:01 PM   #14

ltw HB User
I didn't have choking feeling in my throat but I was really sore from the tube that they put inside during operation. About a week after the the surgery, I started to feel something stuck in my throat. I still feel it now and it's already almost 4 weeks after the surgery.

I've been taking synthroid for about 5 days. The first few days I felt great...full of energy. I was able to concentrate at work, and I felt really great. Today I feel so tired again, just like when I didn't take synthroid. I also experienced a couple of really painful cramps around my underarm after taking a shower. Did anybody have the same experience?

Closed Thread