It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2003, 03:12 PM   #1

vanilla_chocolate HB User
Post Test Results Finally In and a Diagnosis

I finally got my test results back and have a diagnosis. Test results:

TSH 7.641 (0.350-5.500)
Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) 864 (0-34)
Thyroid Antithyrogloblin 1801 (0-40)

My endo says I have hypothyroidism and put me on Synthroid 150mg I will start that in the morning. Will I have any side effects from this medication, will I lose weight? Will my anxiety leave when I start this medication??? Is 150 mg Synthroid too much to start out on? All replys welcome.

[This message has been edited by vanilla_chocolate (edited 09-08-2003).]

Old 09-08-2003, 04:11 PM   #2
(female)

jerimee HB User
none of your symptoms will go away instantly. but over time they will make u feel better, thyroid meds take about 2 weeks to start their effect on u, and some of the problems u r having may not go away until u get on the right medicine/dose. i was unaware but IWL was very helpful that even if u switch meds it takes 2-3 weeks for the new meds to kick in as well. hang in there. thats what i m tryin to do

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2003, 06:23 PM   #3

Come on people help me out here I'm new to this disease and medication.....Any replys appreciated

Old 09-08-2003, 06:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Vanilla_Choc, You will not typically beable to lose weight until your levels are adjusted. With the thyroid antibodies, from what I understand; you will have more ups and downs than someone who is "just hypo". I think anxiety will come and go. With T4 drugs, it takes 8 days(I think) to start making any change in your system and it's very gradual. If you are not feeling noticeably better within 2 months, ask them for a T3/T4 drug or to add Cytomel. T4 drugs work fine on some people and almost not at all on others. Read the Information Archives if you haven't already. Have they determined anything for sure about the nodule you talked about in another post. I am not very familiar with this, but did they decide not to do a needle biopsy because of the high antibodies? Someone who knows about this, is this okay? If the swallowing thing doesn't get better fairly soon, get a second opinion. Good luck, IWL

[This message has been edited by Iwannalife (edited 09-08-2003).]

Old 09-08-2003, 07:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
Vanilla, I had horrible anxiety/panic when I crashed bigtime in the early 90's. At that time I was not aware of having any health problems...I thought I had gone "mental"!! Turns out I had hypothyroidism bigtime. It took a few months to get to feeling better, but the anxiety DOES eventually subside. For now just learn how to deal with it and control it. If you need any help with that, give me a holler, I've got all the books, plus can refer you to some great sites. I learned how to stop my panic attacks in ONE night!

Marilyn

Old 09-08-2003, 07:20 PM   #6

The endo decided not to do the needle biopsy because of the high antibodies, he said there's 99.99% chance that its not cancer, that was a relief... but hypot is something I'm going to have to deal with the rest of my life and that sucks if u ask me.

Closed Thread