It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2002, 07:23 AM   #1

anna496 HB User
Post Weight Loss with Synthroid?

Finally had appointment with endo yesterday. He prescribed 50 mcg Synthroid. I know it will take some time to see any changes, but have any of you experienced weight loss with this dosage (or any dosage)? I have gained about 15 lbs in the past 1.5 years, which is a lot for me, I am only 5 ft 1 in and now weigh 136.

Old 12-04-2002, 10:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User
Dear anna496
I too am 5 1 and gained about 15-16 pounds before being diagnosed. I started out with .25 and had to be changed quite a few times, now at .112. I did lose the weight fairly quickly since I am an avid aerobics fan.
Good Luck,
bellajoon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2002, 11:05 AM   #3

anna496 HB User
Thanks bellajoon, that is good to know. I exercise a lot as well, and for the last 2 years, I could not see any results. I am hoping that now that I have been diagnosed, I will see a change. Take care!

Old 12-04-2002, 09:00 PM   #4

chinaberry HB User
Anna, when I started on Synthroid and was younger, I lost weight due to heavy aerobics. But as I got older, synthetics like Synthroid did not work for me. I had to switch to natural thyroid hormones like Armour to see a weight loss of any kind. Probably due to a higher fT3 in my system, which you can accomplish by adding Cytomel (synthetic T3) or by switching to Armour (which may be hard with an Endo--they are generally not too updated about good thyroid treatment and tend to rely too heavy on synthetic T4 like Synthroid.)

Old 12-05-2002, 01:03 PM   #5

manderee HB User
Anna, I found out I had Hypothyroidism last year (by accident during a doctor's visit). I had gained about 80 lbs and was very tired, thought it was because I had recently had my daughter. I was tested and was put on Synthroid, but it took about 7 months to get the right dosage before I could start losing weight. Now that the meds are right, I have lost 47 lbs since June 11th. I walk 4 miles a day and that helps alot.
You should see some results now that you are on meds, just make sure you get the right dosage.
Good Luck!

Old 09-07-2003, 08:40 AM   #6

scintillating22 HB User
Smile

Hi, Well see mine is a wierd situation. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 4 and a half years ago. Since I started synthroid I have lost a lot of weight. Even in my pregnancys I didnt gain alot of weight. I just had a baby three months ago and I'm already back to normal. I don't know but I have been trying to figure out why I have not gained weight, not that I want to, but most people that I talk to that have the same problem as me have told me that they have gained a lot of weight, I don't know, it's a bit confusing, they say its probably the synthroid, but who knows my levels haven't changed I have been on .05 milligrams ever since

[This message has been edited by scintillating22 (edited 09-07-2003).]

Old 09-07-2003, 12:43 PM   #7

ANNETTE H HB User
Lightbulb

I just saw on another page about a weight loss on synthroid thread.(I don't know what a thread is,so if you can help me out here I would be thankful) Synthroid 100mcg is were I have been for the most part over 26 years,and if there is info on how to loose wt I would love to know it! I gained 70lbs in about 6 mts and have not been ablt to loose it much more than a few lbs at a time. It seems that ever time I loose,bang, there goes my thyroid again.When it enlarges the wt cames back!

Old 09-07-2003, 12:52 PM   #8
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
Losing weight with hypothyroidism is done the old fashioned way, which is basically the same way others do it. The catch is you have to do two things as a hypothyroid person moreso than others. Hypothyroidism is a disease where your metabolism slows to an unhealthy level - that's why you put on all that weight and feel like a slug. So you have to correct that, and make special effort to do it. How do you do it?

#1: Increased thyroid hormone, beyond what most doctors supply - the thyroid regulates metabolism through its hormones, and this is what you are taking to replace. You will NEVER be successful in losing all of your weight unless you are supplemented to the proper levels you require in both T4 AND T3. Doctors through their tests and other devices do not do this, and generally prefer to keep their patients hypothyroid through their ignorance, callousness, and egotism. Again, as I say from other threads, as close to the top of the ranges as you possibly can get on FT3 and FT4 without hyperthyroid symptoms, irregardless of TSH is what you want.

#2: Exercise and eat small meals. This raises your metabolism. It's a literal requirement for a hypothyroid person to exercise, since this is the actual thing that raises your metabolism so your body will burn more. Your thyroid disease put your body into a starvation mode, because of its breakdown. You need to take your body out of that and make it burn more energy and be less efficient. You may feel like a slug and it'd be hard to do, but it's very important to push yourself to do at least something (5-10 minutes but more is definitely preferable - 30 mins per day 5 times a week is ideal here).

HTH, but it's a nasty pill to swallow. I'm stuck in that #1 category right now, because I've tried numerous times to lose weight, and exercised for months on end, but never got any stronger or more energetic like they say exercise is supposed to get you. This is a BIG BIG sign that you aren't getting enough thyroid hormones. Of course, the stupid doctors have NO clue. And even worse is you can backtrack real quick if you DO lose weight if #1 becomes out of control.

[This message has been edited by Sky_Eagle1 (edited 09-07-2003).]

Old 09-07-2003, 06:49 PM   #9

ANNETTE H HB User
Lightbulb

I have,with all the thyroid probs,developed bursitis in both hips and feet! Just what I needed! My workout is in deep water arobics at the Y,more or less three times a week. It has really helped how I feel overall.I have been a C/W partner & linedance instructor. Danceing is something I loved, but can not do like I used to. Cals and balance and amount of intake match my activity level,but still only small,short lived wt lose. I see endo in Nov and hope this one is as good as they say.I will go equippted to help him understand me the best he can. I look forward to our continuing education here.Thanks

Old 09-08-2003, 08:20 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User
Hello manderee,

I too gained 50-60 lbs (no pregnacy tho) over the last year - can you tell me what thyroid med and dosage worked for you?

Thanks so much,
Kathy

PS Annette, a thread is just a "topic"...

[This message has been edited by wxKathy2 (edited 09-08-2003).]

Old 09-08-2003, 12:51 PM   #11

Ibis HB User
I was on mostly veggie diet with a lot of soy and some fish while taking 3grns of Armour(Had been taking it for 25 years). I was craving protein a lot. Noticed my muscles were not as strong and had constant muscle pain. Finally went to the Dr and found out my T3 was very low, .8. I started adding Cytomel and I have been eating like crazy and have lost weight! I exercise 5+ or so days a week, run 2 to 21/2 miles 2 or 3 times a week. However, I don't have to push myself anymore to go to the club to work out!!
I hope you find the right dose for you soon.

Old 09-08-2003, 12:53 PM   #12

Ibis HB User
PS, I don't like synthroid. It did not work for me. Had to go natural to Armour.

Old 09-08-2003, 01:34 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Ibis, Stop the soy!!! If you still have a thyroid, it will eventually kill it. Study up on soy. I don't know if I can post this site, but there are many if you search. Even if you don't have a thyroid, it does other damage. I avoid it like the plaque. I just read an article [url="http://tuberose.com/Soy.html"]http://tuberose.com/Soy.html[/url] that was scary, but have read many other's too. There are alot of people on this board who have talked about how soy hurt them. Use your own judgement, but become as informed as you can. LOL IWL

Old 09-08-2003, 01:50 PM   #14

Ibis HB User
Iwannalife, I can't believe I left that fact out of my post. Yes, I am now a " No soy" person. I found out here that soy blocks the thyroid hormone. My thyroid does not function at all so I depend on the replacement. I thank you for your information. I have really changed my diet and since I stopped soy , all my stomach problems have stopped too!! Thank You!!!

Old 09-08-2003, 02:52 PM   #15

diamondgal HB User
SKY_EAGLE i wish you were my doctor! can you believe how incredibly stupid dr.'s are??

Closed Thread