It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2003, 04:44 PM   #1

ttatt HB User
Post is there such a thing as too much Synthroid??

I am at 137 mcg of Synthroid as of July and I am having problems with symptoms again. How much can the body take of this medicine??
Also what would you all suggest as a diet because I cannot lose the weight. I've lost ten and I have plateaued. I don't know what to eat or what are the best foods to eat. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Old 09-08-2003, 04:49 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User
ttatt-
Are you doing any type of exercise?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2003, 05:21 PM   #3
(female)

jerimee HB User
well with any diet. eat foods that are right for you. try cutting out different things, if they make u gain more weight add those back and subtract something else. no fast food. exercise at least 20 min a day. u have to find a plan that works for u. there is no "miracle" diet. everyone is different. find what ur body needs and keep it happy. good luck.

Old 09-08-2003, 05:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
What kind of symptoms? IWL

Old 09-08-2003, 07:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
You aren't taking that big of a dosage. My daughter-in-law is on 350 of the Synthroid. That's the largest dosage I think.

If you want to lose weight and lose it painlessly, try the Atkins diet. I've used it since the 70's and it's the only one that works for me. I can't stand the other diets because I can't tolerate being hungry. On Atkins you lose your appetite and actually have to remind yourself to eat. You need the book, The Atkins Diet Revolution. You can get it on Ebay for a buck or two and it will be the best book you can ever buy. Even the New England Journal of Medicine has now admitted that Dr. Atkins was right all along and the low fat diets are the worst in the world and actually make us fatter!

Marilyn

Old 09-08-2003, 09:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Marilyn, so you're saying my doc was right about something? He suggested I try the Adkins diet since I didn't have much luck with any other diet I tried. Thanks. Now I've decided to check out ebay and get that book and get started.
Barb

Old 09-08-2003, 10:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
Barb, you bet your sweet patootie your doc is right. I've seen so many news reports on the Nat'l tv stations about heart disease and diabetes and blood pressure all improving in those that go on the Atkins diet. Our problem is that we eat the wrong foods and we are making ourselves sicker all the time. We should only be eating WHOLE,FRESH foods. I was laid up for almost a year and a half with herniated discs and felt so angry and sorry for myself that I ate chocoalte and doughnuts and cake non-stop. I gained alot of weight. I got back on Atkins May 9th and in 2 months lost 24 lbs. When I was younger I lost the weight alot faster, but I was also more active back then. Along with the weight loss, my head cleared up, my triglycerides went from 143 to 95 and I'm down 3 dress sizes at least. I feel much better. I have 10 more pounds to go, but am going to take it easy from here on out. I've added fruit to my diet, so will lose the weight slower, but that's fine with me because I got the BULK of my fat OFF! The beauty of the Atkins diet is that you lose your appetite and cravings and that makes it easy to stick with it til you shed the lbs!

Marilyn

Old 09-09-2003, 05:11 AM   #8

ANNETTE H HB User
Lightbulb

Too much Synthroid? Yes. That is when you start showing Hyper-T symptoms as well as Hypo-T. And yes this is very confussing http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gifAND as long as you still have your gland it can still produce T4&T3 and throw everything off! I have had this happen several times over the years.Now I can pretty much tell when this starts.My gland have been so large that this last time I could hardly sollow.Scary.

I just talked to someone who claims that the Atkins diet acctually improved thyroid health. Sounds good to me! I'm going to look it up myself! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 09-09-2003, 06:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Hi everyone. Those of you who are going to try Adkins, let's keep each other posted on how it's going. I think that'll keep our spirits up and give us the inspiration to keep going. I have to lose about 110lbs so it's going to take a while. And if it helps our thyroid conditions, maybe some others will be inspired to try. What have we got to lose? THE WEIGHT! LOL!!!
Barb

Closed Thread