It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2003, 12:58 AM   #1

sharbearmom HB User
Question question about thryoid levels

I'm new here and I'm also confused about some things, so hopefully I can get some advice here from you all who are going through the same thing! About 5 months ago when they discovered I had a thyroid problem, they said my level was at 90. I know there are different tests they used so I'm not sure what one they did, but they said the normal level was 4, I think. so, my level was WAY OFF. They said it was underactive (and most likely Hosomoto's). They put me on the lowest dose of levothyroxine, I think .5 (mg?)Then 2 weeks later tested again and said my level went up to 60 (slight improvement) but since only from 90 to 60 she said it wasn't enough improvement in 2 weeks, so then they doubled it and now I'm on 100 mcg(I think anyway), I get mixed up with mcg and mg, I don't know what's what. Well, anyway, now I guess I've been on that dose for about 4 months and I went to the doctor a few weeks ago for some sleeping pills (which are useless) and asked what my last level was I had my blood test I guess about 3 months ago and was told ".8" and she said that was a normal level. Okay, so now I'm really CONFUSED!!!! I should have asked questions but I didn't. So, why was I told that 4 was a normal level (when mine was originally at 90, then at 60, 2 weeks later.) And now it's at .8 and I'm told that's normal. Do you think they did a DIFFERENT test last time and each test the levels are normal at different numbers? I'm so confused...please help.
Sharon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2003, 04:30 AM   #2
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
It sounds like your TSH result.The TSH is a read on how much thyroid hormone the pituitary thinks you have. So it is not a real indicator of how your thyroid is doing. The reason your TSH number was so high was because the pit. gland thinks that you need more hormone. The range is now .03-3.0. (The lab you used did not reflect the updated new range.) So your TSH is normal. Does normal mean that you don't still have symptoms? Hardly. As you have probably already read many doctors focus on numbers not the symptoms. You will need to learn all you can about the thryoid and all of the different tests available. Did your doctor do an antibodies test? That is one way to determine is you have hashimotos. Did your doc do a Free T3 and Free T4 test? You will need to find out. I would try to get a new blood test to see where your levels are at now. Too much medication can make you hyper. I hope I made some sense to you.

[This message has been edited by girlygirly (edited 09-09-2003).]

Old 09-09-2003, 05:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
I agree with girlygirly that you need to learn everything you can about your disease in order to get the best care for it. Patients with hypothyroidism who don't know what they're dealing with are doomed to undertreatment, IMO.

Here's a link to a very understandable and complete explanation of hypothyroidism, which is most often caused by Hashimoto's disease. ~~ [url="http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/ucdhs/health/a-z/38Hypothyroidism/doc38.html"]Hypothyroidism[/url] ~~ Be sure to click on each subject at the bottom of the first page to get the whole explanation about causes, treatments, and getting a diagnosis.
Hope this helps.

(BTW, girly, may I correct what you said was the normal range for TSH? The lower end is .3, not .03 which would be a hyper level.)

[This message has been edited by midwest1 (edited 09-09-2003).]

Old 09-09-2003, 06:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by midwest1:
Patients with hypothyroidism who don't know what they're dealing with are doomed to undertreatment, IMO.]
I agree with you here. I have a friend who never had anything else checked but her TSH for 15 years, she had numerous other health problems caused by her undertreated thyroid (including diabetes and heart problems). She now has a doc that does better bloodwork, her thyroid in in control and her other health problems have dissappeared, she is no longer on heart meds and her blood sugar now stays normal. It is very important to check the active thyroid hormones not just TSH.

Old 09-09-2003, 06:43 AM   #5
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Midwest1,

Thanks for the correction, I did mean .3-3.0. Was a typo, because....Im HYPO!!!!!. LOL

SBear,

You might want to go to the library, or the bookstore and get some books to educate yourself so when you go to your doctor, at least you will know what you are talking about. I learned alot of invaluable info from the internet and this site. Good Luck and Good Health!

[This message has been edited by girlygirly (edited 09-09-2003).]

Old 09-09-2003, 08:04 AM   #6
(female)

adderall_angel HB User
GO grab the book "THYROID FOR DUMMIES"...The same people that do the "...for Dummies" series, have them for different medical conditions too. It helped me know what to ask and what to pay attention to...

Hope this helps! It will relieve some anxiety just knowing that you are able to read up on it!
Good Luck!
Dummie #1

Old 09-09-2003, 08:43 AM   #7

Ibis HB User
You can also ask the Dr's nurse to make you a copy of the lab results. I use to do that when I was first treated. I am going to do it again for my own records. Good luck!

Closed Thread