It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2003, 03:03 PM   #1

imsotired HB User
Question thyroid and sugar levels?

As many of you already know from my other posts, I had gestational diabetes with both of my pregnancies. I learned without ever *****ing my finger the signs when my sugar levels would get too high or too low. My question is, can underactive thyroid bring on those diabetic symptoms again?

I no longer have a glucose testing kit at my disposal, but I have been noticing lately those same old symptoms coming back (especially low sugar) and I don't know if I'm developing diabetes or if this is something that will correct itself once I find a doc willing to treat me for HypoT (hopefully Thursday!!!)

Any info will help guys! Thanks!

Old 09-09-2003, 03:26 PM   #2
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
Part of the hypothyroid disease is the inability to process things properly, lipids, carbohydrates, sugars. You get things like high cholesterol and blood sugar issues. Not having the thyroid hormones means the body's cells doesn't get the energy it needs, so it can't do the processing called upon it.

Makes sense that you could be having sugar problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2003, 03:53 PM   #3

imsotired HB User
Thanks for the reply. My cholesterol was a little high (227) when I had other blood work done in July. My sugar was 140. The NP said the chol. really wasn't high enough to treat and the sugar was borderline. Had it been 141, I'd have had to do futher diabetic testing. I was worried I needed to be concerned about diabetes (I hate needles ), but I guess I'll just put the worry on hold for now.

Could a possible underactive thyroid in pregnancy have caused the gest diab too? I was only borderline in the 1st pregnancy but I was full blown diabetic in the 2nd.
My thyroid was never tested then and I really think, looking back now, that my thyroid was screwed up all along.

Old 09-09-2003, 08:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
HypoT increases one's risk of diabetes. Because it slows the body's processes in such a universal way, it makes sense that it would slow the cells' ability to process sugar and other carbohydrates. You might be on to something with your theory. It would be wise to ask about it when you see the doctor.

Old 09-09-2003, 08:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
imsotired, did you know that there is now a way to get insulin without the shot? It's not available to the general public yet. They are experimenting with volunteer patients. They say they are getting such good results that the FDA may approve it very soon. It's an insulin inhaler, much like those that people with asthma use except it's bigger. Hopefully, you'll never have to use it. Just wanted to put that out there for ya.
Barb

Old 09-09-2003, 10:26 PM   #6
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
Yes it's very possible. That's one thing I'm trying to convince my mom of is that all her problems (diabetes, high cholesterol) are thyroid-related and try to get her off all these poisons but she won't go for it. And your cholesterol has to be looked at more than just a total number. Mine was 210 with triglycerides of 835. Problem! Anyway the TGs went down by 1/2 since I got on increased thyroid hormone supplementation. So if I were you I'd get into looking at what those numbers break down to - your TGs or LDLs are high this means you still have a problem.

You really need to look at the thyroid for a whole host of these problems.

Then too, for type-2 diabetics (which is what you would be) they don't usually do the insulin unless you really seriously have problems. They do Glucophage, or other drugs to take the blood sugar out of your system.

Quote:
Originally posted by imsotired:
Thanks for the reply. My cholesterol was a little high (227) when I had other blood work done in July. My sugar was 140.

[This message has been edited by Sky_Eagle1 (edited 09-10-2003).]

Closed Thread