It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2003, 07:56 AM   #1
(female)

adderall_angel HB User
Question What do ya know about calcium?

I posted a description of heat spasms in my lower leg earlier on the board. while researching symptoms on the web, I cam across this statement:

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/idea.gifCalcium Deficiency Symptoms: May result in arm and leg muscles spasms, softening of bones, back and leg cramps, brittle bones, rickets, poor growth, osteoporosis ( a deterioration of the bones), tooth decay, depression

Ok...I am taking Prenatal vitamins which have a generous amount of calcium in them, but still wonder if my thyriod levels could be causing an extreme calcium delpletion? Is that possible? Any experience or "hear-say" with this issue?

All replies are valued!!

Old 09-09-2003, 08:37 AM   #2
(female)

adderall_angel HB User
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/hammer.gifHello peoples! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/hammer.gif
Any help here would GREAT!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2003, 09:07 AM   #3

Ibis HB User
When I became hypo ( T3.8) one of my complaints was waking at night with bad leg muscle cramps, Also my thigh muscles were always sore. My Dr added cytomel to the Armour and I no more cramps, or muscle aches. So adjusting my thyriod meds helped me with cramps. How you get more feed back!
I

Old 09-09-2003, 09:08 AM   #4

ltw HB User
It could be the fact that your parathyroid is disturbed. I woke up with really stiff hands and legs and a lot of cramps when my calcium level fell days after my total thyroidectomy. I still have 2 parathyroids left. I just took some supplement and I feel fine now. As long as you still have at least 1 parathyroid, you should be ok. To be sure, call your doctor. He may order you to do some blood work to find out your calcium level.

Old 09-09-2003, 09:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
I HAVE to take potassium, calcium and magnesium to keep my legs from cramping and aching, but the hot water thing you described sounded more like nerve(B-12). I have had stabbing or shooting pains, but not like you described. My legs used to hurt all the time until I added the magnesium. When you take a prenatal vitamin, doesn't the calcium in it cut down on the effectiveness of everything else? IWL

Old 09-09-2003, 09:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User
I agree about the parathyroid, you should check into that too. Selenium has really helped me with muscle aches.

Old 09-09-2003, 10:03 AM   #7

imsotired HB User
Calcium is very important as anyone will tell you, but the thing I found that almost completely rid me of painful leg cramps was eating bananas a minimum of 6 times per week because of its high potassium levels. In my own thyroid research, I have found that potassium is good for thyroid health as well.

Calcium is important to bones, teeth, etc as we all know, but excess amounts can be harmful to thyroid function so don't overdo it. If you are already taking prenatal vitamins, they most likely already contain enough calcium. Be sure and read the breakdown of what is in yours though. Some prenatal vitamins omit calcium.

If you or anyone else finds they need to take a calcium suppliment alone, and it is in the form of those large, hard calcium pills, BE SURE to either break the pill into three or four smaller pieces or crush it before taking it. Studies have showed that calcium is such a hard substance that when taken in whole pill form, the body passes through and eliminates it in waste before even half of it is absorbed. Breaking it up or crushing it will help.

Old 09-09-2003, 10:37 AM   #8
(female)

adderall_angel HB User
Thanx guys! I will check on the parathyroid thing. The prenatal vitamins don't change the effectiveness of thyroid meds becauseI am not on any meds for my thyroid. I have 1/4 of it left...a 5mm nodule and some strange tissue growing where the other half used to be. I had an RI uptake done last week an dI am still waiting on the test results!! 24-48 hours has now become 72-hrs. UGH! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/blob_fire.gif

Old 09-09-2003, 11:34 AM   #9

ltw HB User
Yes, your body can only absorb so much calcium. Too much of it is not good for your body. That's why my doctor told me only to take 2 tums per day when I had a calcium deficiency.
Good luck!

Old 09-09-2003, 02:39 PM   #10
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
The thing with thyroid disease is it effects everything in your body, and calcium related issues are no different. It takes thyroid hormones to effect a proper exchange of calcium & magnesium in your bones. The calcium doesn't stay there, it gets cycled in and out, and it takes energy and thyroid hormone to do it. When more gets cycled out than in (or deteriorates), the osteoporosis starts to happen.

In many studies, and antecdotal observations, the calcium issue gets better when thyroid hormones are supplemented to proper levels. On a personal note, my dental problems were horrid until I got proper supplementation and now my only problems are due to prior fillings. And then as far as studies go, it's been observed through DEXA scans that bone density increases on high doses of Armour for patients that need the supplementation.

Of course, your thyroid produces a hormone called calcitonin, which is neglected by the doctors. The calcitonin acts along with parathyroid hormones and vitamin d to help you utilize your calcium. Armour gives this to you, but you don't get it in any other way. This consideration is especially important along with selenium supplementation (your thyroid does this too in your body) when it comes to your thyroid being destroyed in some way.

Old 09-09-2003, 02:56 PM   #11

KazKan HB User
I also have heard to take tums for deficiantcy. Parathyroids control calcium levels in your body so I agree with above and have them checked out. For my cramps I have found that a stretching routine before bed helps me, I sleep better for it too! KK

Old 09-09-2003, 05:21 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
The parathyroids secrete hormones that help to metabolize both calcium and phosphorous. If you're taking calcium and it's not being metabolized correctly, it is possible that your system is not metabolizing some of it and you still may not be getting enough of it into your bloodstream. That is probably because your parathyroids are not secreting enough hormone to metabolize enough calcium for your body.
Barb

[This message has been edited by Bosmom (edited 09-09-2003).]

Old 09-09-2003, 10:10 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking

on a recent post, i posed the question: why do my legs ache the more sleep i get (now that i'm hypo)? i still don't know, and take ~1500mg of calcium daily because i'm post-menopausal and i must, but i'm improving ...

could it be that before i was not taking that much calcium (like 10 years ago) and when i was becoming hypo, long before i was diagnosed, i used to wake with the pain ... now that i'm on synthroid it's not so bad? then why am i so g-d sleepy!!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/tired.gif jb

Old 09-10-2003, 08:18 AM   #14

Ibis HB User
jinglebts, I am not taking my calcium because I am afraid it will block the thyroid meds. I am taking 3 grns Armour and Cytomel daily. I just started the Cytomel a month ago. I am feeling so much better, but I am very wary of doing Anything to block the thyroid meds. How do you take your calcium? I have Fosamax(SP?) but have not taken it since it says to take 1 hour before breakfast. That is when I take my Thyroid meds. So I am confused. I go to my Dr tomorrow for a recheck, maybe I'll ask him too.

Closed Thread