It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2003, 12:49 PM   #1

hanbury HB User
Question Questions for 1st Dr. Appt

Hi,
I just found this board and I am so happy to learn that I am not crazy! I went to the dr 4 weeks ago for depression. They drew blood and my TSH result was 6.1 (0.3-5.5), which they said was just slightly out of range. I started on snythroid (sp?) - 50mcg. I haven't seen the dr. again, but I have another appt mid-Sept. What questions should I be asking and are there any other tests that should be run?

Also, how long will it take for my hair to stop falling out and will it grow back? I feel like crying everyday and I have trouble getting off of the couch. By the end of the day, I am exhausted, irritable, depressed, and edgy. Please tell me that these are the symptoms - otherwise, I am turning into a person that I REALLY do not like. I am normally VERY active - i love painting the house, I compete in triathlons, go to the gym, and I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. I don't do anything anymore, beside to figure out how not to do anything. Please tell me my intest in life will come back. I'm crying as I type - I don't know who I am anymore and I'm driving everyone (especially husband) nuts!
Any information will be GREATLY appreciated.
hanbury

Old 09-10-2003, 01:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User
Welcome Hanbury!
You should ask for Free T3 and Free T4 tests as TSH is not the most reliable. You are clearly hypo and that would explain all the terrible symptoms you are having. Keep reading the posts on this board and you will learn so much to help you take charge of your health. There are wonderful books also, The Thyroid Solution by Dr. Arem has a wealth of information. Good luck to you. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2003, 03:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Hi,
You are more than slightly out of range, the range now stops at 3 not 5.5, your doc doesn't have the new info.

I agree with Bellajoon, you also need to ask for the Free T4 and Free T3, those are the active thyroid hormones that are in the blood, that is what your body is "running" on, the TSH is put out by the pituitary and in many cases does not reflect your true thyroid function.

Your symptoms will slowly disapate over time, it takes 4 to 6 weeks for the meds to really kick in, your symptoms will gradually get better although you may have flareups where some days you feel worse. Don't get discouraged just come here for support, we are all going through the same thing.

And the best thing you can do for yourself is educate yourself on thyroid, may doctors just don't have any idea how much it affects everything in ones body and many docs do not understand how to properly read the test results, sad, they have the degree, but many have the "if your numbers are in range then you should feel good" attitude. A lot can depend on where in the range your numbers are.
Always ask for copies of your test results, and if you have any questions about them post them here with your lab results and lab ranges, there are many here who will help you understand them.

Good luck

Closed Thread