It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2003, 07:44 AM   #1

DeadPaladin HB User
Lightbulb i m gonna print this and show it to the doc...help me pls

OK all 4 endos i ve seen for my thyroid prob say that i dont require medication and my symptoms are anxiety related.
i suffer from hashis and the last month that i m posting at the boards i ve seen MANY MANY threads from hypo and hashis sufferers complaining about symptoms that i m suffering from.So i decided to post my symptoms and pls IF ANYONE suffering from hypo/hashis has similar or the same symptoms and wants he/she can reply to my post so that i print the page and show it to the docs to see what they have to say about it then.
I have a goiter and my TSH varies from 5.6 to 3.3 ,FT4 AND FT3 at the lowest normal range,T4 T3 in normal range and i have elevated antibodies ..TPO:78 TG: 13

My symptoms are:

-Hissing in my ears all the time
-Headaches and i feel my head too heavy all the time
-Difficulty concentrating my thoughts(scary)
-Totally confused occasionaly (scary)
-A feeling of unreality occasionaly (scary)
-i ve had some panic attacks
-Hot flushes
-cold flushes
-Numbness at arms and legs
-Needles and pins at my arms legs face
-I feel like my neck is swollen adn it's like about to explode
-Palpitations
-I feel pain in my thyroid region
-sometimes i find it difficult to swallow or if i do i feel strange at my neck
-A feeling that my mind/thoughts run (scary)
-sometimes abnormal thoughts and dreams
-pains in the chest
-feeling that when i m breathing the air is not enough
-stomach refluxes
-adrenaline rushes(scary) a feeling in my stomach/.chest of heat or pressure that starts there and goeas all the way up to my head..i have to take a deep breathe to feel better
-fatigue-total lack of energy from times to times(i cant even move my arms,feet)
-Depression- No mood to do ANYTHING
-I feel like i m gonna pass out all the time..specially when i stand or walk for some time
-tremor in arms/legs
-I feel exactly like i have the flue
-I feel sleepy
-Nausea
-Diarheeas-constipation-gasses

I guess they re too many but anyway...if ANYONE with HYPO/HASHIS ever had/has any of these or similar symptoms it would be of great help to me if he /she could reply with a yes and a short story of his/her symptoms...so that i print the page and show it to the docs and then just wait to see what are they gonna say to me...

Thanx a lot

------------------
That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2003, 09:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
I have Hashi's and have had and do have many of the symptoms you list. I think most your symptoms if not all are caused by your thyroid. You said your FT3 and FT4 are in the lower part of the range, they should be in the mid to upper part of the range, not the lower part, your TSH should probably be below 2.

Thyroid problems can cause anxiety, so yes the problems may be anxiety related but thats because your thyroid is not functioning properly, not because you just have anxiety. In other words the anxiety is caused by the undertreated thyroid, it is a symptom of a thyroid problem, not the whole problem.
If your doc can't see this and won't help you then it is time to try yet another doc.

Good luck.

Old 09-09-2003, 09:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
I agree with DEA. The adrenalin rushes were almost constant with me and they leave a feeling of fear, impending doom. I believe I had every symptom you did except for the headaches. When my new dr. finally agreed to treat my symptoms, after over 3 years; my cure was almost miraculous. Most of us do not get completely better until our TSH is around 1, but more importantly, our FT3 & FT4 have to be at the very upper end of normal. For me, the only way they could accomplish that was with a T3/T4 drug, due to a conversion problem. After only 2 months of taking 180mg of Armour, the only symtom I have left is a little fatigue. There should be no reason why your drs. can't try you on Armour or whatever it's equivilant is in your country. If they agree to a trial on it, expect to feel almost immediately better mentally and gradually better with everything else.

This thyroid board has literally thousands of people who have had almost identical stories like yours and have got their life back when put on a T3/T4 thyroid medication. I had no luck with endo docs though. My regular MD decided there would be no harm in trying what I wanted. He's had Grave's disease and RAI and is contemplating switching due to the success I had. I believe he was only humoring me to start with, but was surprised at the results. My tsh was 3.7 when I was so ill. It is .32 now with my FT3 & FT4 almost at the top of norm. I feel like I have my life back!!!! IWL

Old 09-09-2003, 02:01 PM   #4

ANNETTE H HB User
Lightbulb

DeadPaladin, the thing about Hypo-T is that if you don't have it you don't understand it! I am still amazed how little the drs seem to be able to put together to come up with answers. We are, for the most part intellegent adults who run businesses,hold government jobs,work in the medical field,raise kids and love our families. Now don't you think that we know how we feel and what surrounds these feelings? Of course we do! If my thyroid glands swells to twice it's regular(not normal but my regular size)and at that same time many of the things that you listed start happening, there must be a connection! The appt with only endo I have seen ended this way.I said"so what you are saying is that only one of these things that are happening to me is the fault of Hypo-T/Hashimoto is the actual swelling of the gland?" and he said "yes!" Now,in several books the symptoms are mine and yours and lots of others,too. My husband who goes with me now to drs said "you would think that when so many of the patients say the same thing the drs would realize the connection." Lab results are a joke. How you feel is the real truth. The drs that I have seen,both of them have been condescending,insulting,and I am unhappy with having to pay for them to order more lab work and tell me not to worry.

There are so many facts we know about ourselves and we must keep tring to get our point across to these drs! And read as much as you can on our epidemic.

My symptoms are/or have been at some time:
1.up to age 25 very under weight(5'6" 100lbs 18"waist could eat as much of anything I wanted)
2.very heavy periods starting at age 10
{diagnosed w Hashismoto/Hypo-T at age 25}
3.70lb weight gain(from 108)
4.infertility
5.confussion(about the simplist things)
6.tiredness(part because of wt gain,but did not want to do)
7.uncontrollable temper(w/o cause)
8.depression(w/o cause)
9.mitral valve prlaspe
10.many of the things that you mentioned
11.many other things that have not been credited to Hypo-T/Hashismoto or to anything else
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

[This message has been edited by ANNETTE H (edited 09-09-2003).]

Old 09-09-2003, 02:08 PM   #5
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
Your case is like mine and the hundreds of cases I've read on forums like this one. Of course, most doctors can't seem to buy a clue on how to take care of these cases either, but that's for another thread.

Old 09-09-2003, 09:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Bump - DP needs more stories about people with "normal TSH" FT3 & FT4 who were helped with treatment.

Old 09-10-2003, 05:53 AM   #7

ANNETTE H HB User
Lightbulb

The way it looks from these posts,the main unknown is why can't there be a true normal Thyroid health obtained and kept. Why aren't most of us "normal" on our meds,whatever they may be? Why are there so many new cases being treated? And why are the drs still so unable,or in some cases,reluctant, to treat in a better fashion? On average how many times is lab work done? Why won't(in my case)one dr accept the results done just a week or so prier? NO, they have to have new lab work? I would say that there aren't many writers here that aren't looking for the uplifting story of success,I know I am!I would be thrilled to be able to say after my Nov. appt w 2nd endo"I AM A SUCCESS STORY"! I wish that for each and every one of you out there. We are different from one another and meds work differently in us. We change. As we gain wt do we need more meds,not less food? With our problems,does more exercise cause too much stress on our joints? Should we be incouraged to alter our own meds as we "feel"the need? WHY,WHY,WHY,why aren't things better, this has been a known illness from the mid 1800's? SUCCESS WILL COME TO US ALL ONE DAY http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 09-10-2003, 06:49 AM   #8
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism with a TSH of 1.61,In May 2003. At first my doctor was hesitant to put that label on it. I noticed he wrote sub-clinical hypothyroidism on my paperwork. (My opinion is that you are either hypo or your not, how can it be anything in between?) I had many of the symptoms, weight gain (about 20 pounds) that I could not lose not matter how much I exercised or dieted,low body temps, freezing all of the time, acne,dry scalp, finger nails breaking with lines in them, irregular periods, palpitations, fatigue, twiching eyelid,mental fog, high cholesterol (208), not sweating during exercise,mental fog, hair loss and swallowing problems. After my ultra sound when my thyroid was found to be mildly enlarged and a nodule was found, he was more comfortable with the hypo label. Luckily he did give me a prescription for synthroid prior to the ultrasound. When he did I knew he as worried about it because he insisted that I call immediately if anything unusual happened. Of course, I started to feel better. My dosage has been increased 2 more time to .75. I don't feel that the T4 med is doing the best job for me as I still have many of the symptoms. My next visit I will asking for a combo T3 & t4 med. I feel I am one of those who don't convert T4 into T3 properly. That feeling was confirmed when I supplemented myself with 100 mcg of selenium and immediately felt the difference. (For those of you who don't know ,selenium helps convert T4 into T3).

At least my doctor believed me and took a chance with me. It is too bad that there are so many doctors who get annoyed with patients who want to be a partner in the diagnosing and treatment process. As patients we have a vested interest in finding out the lastest medical news on hypothyroidism. You would think that doctors would be happy that we are making their jobs easier. The internet has helped me tremendously, without it I would still be walking around undiagnosed. That is very scarey.

Old 09-10-2003, 09:58 AM   #9

22ad22 HB User
Hi,
I am 23 and have hashi's/hypo. I was diagnosed May 2002 because of a multinodular goiter. I had high antibodies, but my TSH was 3.3. I was put on synthroid to shrink the goiter and help with symptoms. Currently I am on .075mg.

My symptoms:
Severe exhaustion (would find it difficult to get up for my 12:30 class) would take naps everyday
Difficulty staying asleep (I'd wake up several times)
Brain fog
Feeling freezing, but also having hot flashes
Irregular periods
Forgetfulness
Clumsiness
Depression
Hair falling out and changing texture
Feeling of pins and needles, numbness in different body parts
palpitations

Now I feel like my levels are pretty good, my TSH is slightly below 1. A lot of my symptoms have subsided. I truly believe that I was hypo with a TSH of 3.3, and meds have been such a huge help. I feel so much better than I ever used to. I actually feel like I'm living life now.

Good luck

Old 09-10-2003, 05:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
my response to your "depressed" topic:

i'm afraid i have to disagree with SE1, altho' depression certainly accompanies some illnesses ... one can be genetically depressed and that's it -- there needn't be ANYTHING wrong with one's life or life history -- it just IS ...

depression is certainly a symptom of hypo, and i have most of the symptoms you have, and i'll repeat them here:

-Hissing in my ears all the time
-Headaches and i feel my head too heavy all the time
-Difficulty concentrating my thoughts(scary) called brain fog
-Totally confused occasionaly (scary)called brain fog
-A feeling of unreality occasionaly (scary) called brain fog
-i ve had some panic attacks
-Hot flushes
-cold flushes
-Numbness at arms and legs
-Needles and pins at my arms legs face
-I feel like my neck is swollen adn it's like about to explode i don't have this
-Palpitations
-I feel pain in my thyroid region
-sometimes i find it difficult to swallow or if i do i feel strange at my neck i don't have this
-A feeling that my mind/thoughts run (scary) called brain fog
-sometimes abnormal thoughts and dreams
-pains in the chest
-feeling that when i m breathing the air is not enough
-stomach refluxes
-adrenaline rushes(scary) a feeling in my stomach/.chest of heat or pressure that starts there and goeas all the way up to my head..i have to take a deep breathe to feel better
-fatigue-total lack of energy from times to times(i cant even move my arms,feet)
-Depression- No mood to do ANYTHING
-I feel like i m gonna pass out all the time..specially when i stand or walk for some time
-I feel exactly like i have the flue
-I feel sleepy
-Nausea
-Diarheeas-constipation-gasses

my main symptoms are constipation, depression, exhaustion/sleepiness/, the feeling of not being able to get enough breath, some nausea, and hissing in my ears (drives me nuts sometimes), and variations of the symptoms you mentioned ...

i was diagnosed with a TSH of 3.9, and am getting worse with a TSH of 1.1 -- my endo called and i have an appt. on the 18th, so we'll see ... (felt best with a TSH of .58, but then that slowly went up to 1.1, so ...)

jb

Closed Thread