It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2003, 03:52 PM   #1

hanbury HB User
Post More info

Hi everyone,
I have been doing a ton of reading lately trying to learn everything that I can about hypoT. (I'm going to the store today to get some of the recommended books!)

I have a question. I had a baby 14 months ago and I've spent the last 6 months or so telling myself that all these weird symptoms were in my head or related to recovering from having a baby. Now that I know a lot of my symptoms are from hypoT, I'm not sure what to blame on the pregnancy and what to blame on hypoT. One of the things is that my teeth ache. I went to the dentist in early Aug and he said everything is fine; however, my teeth are horribly sensitive and they randomly ache. Any ideas?

Old 09-10-2003, 04:03 PM   #2
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
Well pregnancy increases the demand on your thyroid, since it has to provide for you and the baby (at least until the baby can do it on its own). It's no wonder with women this is the event that often will cause hypothyroidism as the thyroid just breaks under the strain of this increased duty.

Any woman should be routinely and closely monitored for thyroid issues during a pregnancy, especially months 1-4 or 5. People I've read on forums like these have found it very common to have to almost double their thyroid hormone during their pregnancy. It really is a taxing thing if your thyroid is weak enough to not be able to handle it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2003, 05:17 PM   #3

imsotired HB User
I don't know if the teeth thing is related to HypoT or not, but I do know that after the birth of both of my children my teeth began to hurt, and I got the same dentist response as you. I've noticed my teeth have also begun to yellow now, during and after my second pregnancy....have you experienced this as well?

Old 09-10-2003, 05:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
I have heard people say that with each child they had they lost a tooth. I think pregnancy is just very hard on some peoples teeth, after all that baby is getting just about everything, I think through the process the mothers teeth don't get the nutrician they normally do therefore causing problems. Don't know for sure but that is what I think probably happens.

Old 09-11-2003, 12:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
The hormone levels of pregnancy really do a number on your gums, as does puberty, menopause and other hormone related events. Haven't read anything on that type of thing, but hormones(thyroid too) affect so many things. A lot of people get dry eyes and mouths, sinus problems which can make your teeth hurt. My dental cleanings when I was hypo were awful because my teeth were so sensitive. They are not now and today I had the first comfortable cleaning I've had in years. Hmmm....related? Probably. Hang in there. IWL

Old 09-11-2003, 04:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Hmmmmm, maybe that's why my dentist had to give me about 10 shots (I stopped counting at 6). It hurt almost as bad as when I had my c-section after 26 hrs of labor). btw, my son was 11 1/2 lbs when he wes born. Lotsa pain!
Barb

Closed Thread