It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2003, 09:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Post Coconut oil for hypothyroid?

I was talking with my chiropractor today and she told me I should eat a couple tablespoons of coconut oil daily for hypo. She said it would raise my body temperature when nothing else will and help the T4 to convert. Anyone else ever heard of this? Low body temp has been a major complaint of mine after being on meds for a year my temp is still only 97.4. I almost bought a jar of the stuff, but decided to write first and see if this is just bogus.

Old 07-17-2003, 10:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
I'm bumping this up in hopes someone will reply. I searched through archives and found other posts about coconut oil many months ago. So what happened? Did no one ever try it? I'm eating coconut daily plus drinking 3 tablespoons of the refined organic oil.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2003, 12:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
I talked to someone who works in a healthfood/nutrition store and he said he's had several people tell him that since they started taking the coconut oil, which is about 300 extra calories a day; that they have started actually losing some weight and do feel better. He told me it wouldn't help me since I don't have a thyroid anymore. It sounds like it's worth a try.

Old 07-18-2003, 07:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User
Talking

I bought some coconut oil and keep it in the fridge. I use it for frying my eggs. I did read that it supposed to rev up your metabolism. I am not doing it everyday so don't have any results from it. I can't imagine eating it plain by the spoonfuls, ugh! How did your chiropractor tell you to eat it?

Old 07-18-2003, 08:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
My chiro told me she slurps it down by the spoonful. She commented that I wouldn't be able to handle doing that, so to eat fresh coconut would help. I'm drinking it down though. I assumed it would taste like coconuts, but instead has more of a melted wax crayon flavor. I can't say whether it is helping my thyroid, but I've lost 9 lbs this week. How are you keeping it in the fridge and frying eggs with it? The brand I got hardens below 76 degs and is impossible to get out of jar then. Have you noticed having a weird body smell since using it?

Old 07-18-2003, 09:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User
I just spoon it out of the jar. The lady at the health food store told me it would last longer if I refrigerate it. I haven't noticed any strange body smells from using it. Boy 9 lbs huh? Maybe I will just swallow the whole jar. I put on about 10 pounds in a few months and on a 5 ft 1 body, it is more noticable.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
According to articles on Mary Solomon's Dr. Mercola's websites coconut oil never goes rancid so there is no need to refrigerate it. One of the articles said that a group of coconut oil users were tested and had cholesterol that always came up as 160 despite eating a rich diet of meat, eggs, cheese (sounds like Atkins). It stated that years ago when coconut & palm kernal oils were blamed for cholesterol it was all a lie because the third world countries that produce the stuff didn't have the lawyers to fight back with. I'm becoming more wary of other oils, like canola, considering where it comes from and fact the plant is toxic. Soy oil is another one I don't trust. It is rather obvious since changing as a country to what was suppose to be healthier oils people are getting more unhealthy, fatter and have higher cholesterol than ever. To think we gave up good tasting movie popcorn a decade ago for no good reason when they stopped using coconut oil.

About 30 -60 mins after having some oil, I get a rush. I guess its the T3 kicking in. Its really wild because my forehead starts to sweat briefly and I get a warm tingly feeling. You would think my skin, especially face, would become oily consuming all this oil, but it isn't. I normally have rather oil face prone to acne, but it has improved. This is totally weird.

Old 07-18-2003, 01:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User
Talking

I think when I go home today I will take it out of the fridge and let it get soft. I think I will try to do 2 spoons a day and see what happens. Nothing to lose, except the weight! Can you believe all the soybean oil in stuff? I have been driving my family crazy with letting them know it is in so many things, even twizzlers! I am so disgusted with the food industry and how they keep us in the dark. Thanks for your info.

Old 07-18-2003, 04:05 PM   #9
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
The quickest way to soften the coconut oil is to sit it in hot water for about a minute. It works like a charm.

I also agree with you bellajohn, the food industry should be ashamed of themselves. Grocery shopping takes me forever anymore. You have to look out for soy, hidden msg, and a host of other things. I am trying to make things much easier by sticking with whole foods.

[This message has been edited by girlygirly (edited 07-18-2003).]

Old 07-18-2003, 05:25 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Ellyn HB User
AngelaA
This sounds all very interesting. I did a web search and pulled up some articles on it and found the one Dr M had. I'm all for helping the conversion of the T4. Seems I'm having that problem right now.

What meds are you on if you do not mind me asking. How long have you been drinking the coconut oil?

Old 07-18-2003, 05:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Hey I just got back from the chiro. I asked her about coconut oil again. She said to take 3 tablespoons a day, but to take only one spoonful at a time to keep your thyroid function on an even level. She told me best brand was Spectrum which is good because its the only kind I have found.

Soy is has become a real nuisance as its being hidden in everything. Yes even candy has it now. Is nothing sacred?! The worst part is I prefer to eat organic foods, but the health food stores have soy containing products in every aisle. Give it ten years; there will be lawsuits from people harmed by the endocrine disruptor otherwise known as soy. I feel strongly that soy baby formula is what caused me to go through precocious puberty at age 4 which inturn increases risk of breast cancer. I just had my 6 month ultrasound today after the breast core biopsy in Jan. I am only 34!

Old 07-18-2003, 06:02 PM   #12

shapearson HB User
Question

If you use coconut oil, would this change the dose of thyroid hormone you should take? If your T3, T4 and TSH are in balance, you feel good and you start using/taking coconut oil, could you become hyper and need to readjust your meds? I like the part about loosing weight and would like to try coconut oil, but it's taken me while to finally feel better on my meds and to take something that might upset it causes me to pause. I don't eat within an hour of taking my meds and I wait at least 4 hours before taking my vitamins and calcium to make sure I don't cause an absorption problem. Also, those that have lost weight, have you changed your eating habits or just added the coconut oil? It's very interesting. Do you buy it from any health food store? Any additional info is appreciated.

Shapearson

Old 07-18-2003, 08:31 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Ellyn:

What meds are you on if you do not mind me asking. How long have you been drinking the coconut oil? [/B]
Ellyn,

Sorry I missed your question earlier today. This post went from quiet to very busy. I don't mind your asking about meds. I take 2 grains of Armour in the morning. The only other meds are 10mg each of Zyrtec & Singular. I've been drinking the coconut oil one week.

Old 07-18-2003, 08:42 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Shapearson- I'm not sure if it will cause one to need adjustment of medication. For past three months I have been feeling hypo again and feel like I need a change in meds or dosage. When I saw dr last month she disagreed with me though she had no basis to disagree because I had not had blood tests in 6 months. Hello! Two weeks later I end up in her office again while she is away and see a nurse practioner for thyroiditis possibly for Hashi's. Still waiting on tests. She talked like she was thinking I needed change in dosage.

To be honest, no I have not been dieting while drinking the coconut oil. For two days last week the thyroiditis made me not want to swallow. I made up for eating less by eating easy to swallow but high in fat ice cream. I had a donut yesterday and have been eating Pop Tarts which I haven't had in a year. So I am eating worse than usual. I usually cook whole foods instead of eating pre-packaged stuff. But since we have had heatwave past three weeks and I have no A/C I have been avoiding using the oven so the apartment wouldn't get so hot. Besides the junkfood I have been drinking a glass of milk (with Carnation French Vanilla instant breakfast mix in it) in the evening. I usually don't have any dairy.

I got the coconut oil at New Frontiers health food store. Do you have Basha's there in Peoria? I believe I saw the oil in their health food section too. The brand is Spectrum Naturals says on label organic refined coconut oil.

[This message has been edited by AngelaA (edited 07-18-2003).]

Old 07-19-2003, 07:24 AM   #15

shapearson HB User
Smile

AngelaA,thanks for the info. We do have Basha's here in Peoria and I spend alot of time up in Flagstaff. I'm familiar with New Frontiers health food. The coconut oil is worth a try and if I start feeling strange, I could stop taking it. Thanks again.

Shapearson

Closed Thread