It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2003, 09:40 PM   #1
(female)

happy4us HB User
Question Synthroid 150 for 1st time...is this a high dose?

Okay, I am turning here again for answers.
Quick review…
July – hive and swelling. Appointment with allergist
Lab results:
TPO 804 (0-34)
Thyroid Antithyroglobulin 149 (0-40)
TSH 1.734 (0.350-5.500)
T4 8.8 (4.5-12.0)

August – appt with Primary care physician
Lab results:
T3 uptake 31.9 (22.0-36.0)
T4 total 7.3 (4.5-12.0)
T4 free 1.33 (0.85-1.60)
TSH 1.40 (0.4-4.00)
ANA positive
ANA titer: 1:320 pattern Homogenous
ANA titer: 1:640 pattern Speckled
Goiter with nodules noted and ultrasound done. Thyroid enlarged and largest nodule is 1.4 centimeters. Will do another ultrasound in 6-12 mos. Probably benign.

Today – appt with Rheumatologist
Reviews all the labs and discusses that I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis (no surprise there). He is not concerned that the ANA is so high, doesn’t think I have Lupus now.
He wants to start me on Synthroid immediately to help alleviate symptoms (extreme fatigue, brain fog, weight gain, ect) and follow-up with labs again in 2 ˝ mos. and an appt in 3 mos.

What concerns me is that he is starting me on what he called a “low dose” but the dose is 150 mcg. When I questioned this he told me that he is writing it for lower than what he anticipates my total replacement need will be when my thyroid finally “poops out.” The reading I’ve done indicates a much lower dose to begin with and then work up to optimum dose. Also, he wrote the prescription for 100 pills refills 3x’s. Of course my insurance will only allow me to get 31 days at a time, so I have to wonder, did he really mean to write it for 100? Or was this a mistake?

Could you help me determine if my labs are at all out of whack since I do have so many symptoms but according to the dr’s my thyroid labs are okay for now except for the antibodies. I understand and agree with medication at this time because I realize it’s just a matter of time before my thyroid doesn’t function anymore and I’d really rather not have the goiter get any larger and have to deal with surgery. I just don’t want to send my body into a shock with too high of a dose to start with and cause more problems than what I already am dealing with now.

Thanks for your help!
Rhonda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2003, 12:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
You need a free T3 to know the whole story. That is a bigger starting dose than usual so it may make you a jittery wreck or not. As for the prescription for 100, my pharmacy sells the bottles of 100 cheaper than used to pay for 3 months co pay, so I stopped getting on insurance. Now I take Armour and it's about a third as much as the Synthroid was. Good luck, IWL

Old 09-10-2003, 08:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
That does sound a bit high to start, your numbers arn't so out of range that I would think you needed such a high dose, unless you are heavy, sometimes they go more by your weight. If you are not heavy then I would question the high dose as it can be very hard on your body to start so high.

Old 09-11-2003, 07:28 AM   #4
(female)

happy4us HB User
Talking

Thank you both for your responses. As for the prescription, I found out that my pharmacy does also sell Synthroid in bottles of 100, but over three months it's cheaper for me to pay my insurance co-pay by about $25. I appreciate the information.

As far as the dose, yes I am about 20 pounds overweight so that would explain the higher dose. If that's the case and I lose weight then I'm assuming it'd be natural for me to require less of a dose later??? Thanks so much for explaining the weight issue. I hadn't taken it into consideration.

I love having this board to turn to for answers. This is only the third time I've posted, but I've always had thoughtful, considerate, and compassionate responses! Thanks to ALL of you!!!

Closed Thread