It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2003, 10:29 PM   #1

kgirl4u2 HB User
Post Question... and Looking For Support...

Hi All!! I'm trying to get the hang of this posting thing..so forgive me.... I've had a total thyroidectomy when I was 16 yrs old due to thyroid cancer... and I'm on 300 mcg. of Unithroid.. for about for 4 years now... other.. past yrs.. I've been on Synthroid, Levoxal (not sure of the spelling.. Anyway... I'm also... a type 2 Diabetic.. on glyburide (pills) no shots as of yet... I'm now 34 yrs old.. I've been to the doctor recently.. also.. an endo.. and another doctor in a radiology dept.. who specializes in thyrogen testing.. anyway... trying to make a long story short.. my recent tests came back only a little abnormal.. my thyrogen test cam back.. 2.6.. and I guess a normal person is .2??? I don't know.. The radiology guy wants to see me again in 6 months for another thyrogen test.. my endo.. wants me sooner than that for another thyrogen test before the 6 months..with the other guy..... I've been having severe headaches for the past two weeks.. and have no history of migranes that I know of.. and they have progressively gotten worse.. waking me up at night, the radiology guy.. now wants me to have an MRI..of my brain.. I have it on the 26th..of Sept.. So.. what is it exactly that they're looking for?? My concentration.. hasn't been the greatest lately.. and I was kind of in a fog.. the radiology guy... saw me the other day.. I see a PA (physician's asst) this coming Friday.. so maybe she can help me.. for the time being... I also have been getting numbness.. and tingling in my hands, fingers, and arms... also.. sometimes pain.. but mainly the tingling... I am a plus size lady.. kinda like a Delta Burke... lolol.. but I DO keep active... and my sugars have been under control.. but also.. it might be my blood pressure?? I don't know.. just venting and rambling here.. Thanks for letting me vent... I'm real scared....Anybody feel like this?? or who have gone thru similar things?? Just looking for support here.. Thanks!!

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2003, 11:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
KGirl, Did the headaches start before or after the thyrogen testing? From what I've read, the side effects of this testing can be headaches, nausea and weakness. It also says it can temporarily cause a significant raise in the thyroid levels in your blood. Did they test your thyroid levels too? The fluctuation may be part of your problem and should level out after they get done doing the tests. Of course they're trying to make sure you don't have any re-occuring cancer. The thyrogen test is the alternative to taking you completely off thyroid meds and making you very hypo. Makes you feel crummy though. Every one who has a higher thyrogen level doesn't have cancer, but it is a reason for them to do a little further testing. I had alot of the numbness and tingling and magnesium did the trick. You'll be fine. Hugs, IWL P.S. I don't really know anything about thyrogen, except what I just looked up. Thyrogen has a website. Having a touch of insomnia.

Old 09-11-2003, 06:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Kgirl, which fingers have the numbness and tingling? Is it all of them or just certain ones? Have you see an orthopeadic doc? Did anyone check your cervical spine? The reason I ask is that it is possible that your headaches and numbness can be unrelated to the thyroid issue. If you have a herniated disc at the C5-6 level of the c-spine, that could cause numbness, tingling and pain anywhere from the shoulder to the fingertips. That's because next to the c-spine at about the C5-6 area is something called the neural foreamen. I call it "nerve central". That's where the "thinking station" is for the nerves in your arm. So if there is pressure on the neural foramen caused by a herniated disc, it may not be felt at that particular site, but further down the arm.
Your headaches, depending on where they are located, may (or may not)also be a problem in the c-spine. In my husband's case, his severe headaches are due to the fact that his c-spine is straightening out. But there are SO many things that can cause headaches that it is impossible for me to even take a stab at that issue.
Have you ever had whiplash or been in a car accident? Herniated or slipped discs in the c-spine are usually due to some sort of trauma. And sometimes it's months or years after the trauma that the symptoms appear.
Good luck to you with the tests. Keep us posted.
Barb

[This message has been edited by Bosmom (edited 09-11-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Bosmom (edited 09-11-2003).]

Old 09-11-2003, 08:07 AM   #4

kgirl4u2 HB User
Smile

Hi again.... Thanks for your input.. My headaches started before the thyrogen... but I just chalked it up to PMS.. lol... They have gotten worse..since the test tho.... They're behind my eyes... and sometimes at my temples.. and sometimes the back of my head.. at the base of my skull... I've had no trauma.. no car accidents,etc.. for someone to check my spine.. but in my family.. I DO have a history of diabetes.. (both my parents are insulin dependent).. and my grandmother's mother died of brain cancer... (Dad's side) Also.. my grandfather (Dad's side) was first diagnosed with Diabetic Neuropathy, and then ALS (Lou Gerhic's) Disease.. and has since died.. 3 yrs ago.. On my mother's side.. my grandmother's brother died of throat cancer... not sure if it was thyroid related.. the numbness and tingling, I experience is in my left thumb, pointer finger,and middle finger,and pinky.. shooting up to my elbow.. and sometimes up to my left shoulder. Occasionally, I have the same for my right hand.. but not as frequent.. I also see spots sometimes.. and get dizzy.. I check my sugars..and they're within the normal ranges... 60- 130... so... I'm going to get this MRI.. of my brain... and hope they find nothing!! lolol... I gotta keep my humor here.. OOOPS... I also have a lump in my breast.. but the doc.. says it's not biopsy material yet.. and I have to check it again in December.. for another mammo. to see if it's grown any... Thanks so much for your support and advice... I'm trying to stay positive...

------------------

Old 09-11-2003, 08:45 AM   #5

KazKan HB User
The pain and tingleing in your fingers and arms sound just like a nerve problem. I have bone spurs on my spine ( upper back portion) and the nerves get irritated by these now and them with the same symptoms that you describe. I take Relefen when I have a flare up( anti-inflamatory) Good luck, KK

Old 09-11-2003, 01:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Kgirl, Darn those family histories. Makes you wish you were adopted sometimes. I have visual "disturbances" when my meds are out of wack. Did they test your thyroid levels before they started all the other stuff? When they do your brain scan I hope they don't find anything. (sorry, I love that one). Hugs, IWL

Closed Thread