It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2003, 07:52 PM   #1

Noa24 HB User
Question antibodies and other stuff

Hi. I finally got someone to listen to me about my hypo sx! I started on 50 mcg of Synthroid and was given a new 100 mcg prescription today. After being on the lower dose, some of the sx have improved... although it did take about 3 weeks.

I'm changing my PCP and have a couple of things I'd like to know before I go through the whole rigamaroll with the new one. I'd appreciate any help I can get...

First, I think someone mentioned that it is possible to be hypo and hyper at the same time. True? If so, what do blood tests (TSH, free T3/T4) generally look like? What usually is the cause for this "phenomenon?" How is it tx'd? What blood tests would be needed to figure this out? The thyroid antibodies test? What else?

Also, will the thyroid antibody test be affected (and not show a problem if there is one) if I'm taking Synthroid? Does the ANA (the lupus test) in any way get affected by thyroid issues (eg, if there is a thyroid problem, do I have to go for the specific thyroid antibody test [I'm sorry, but I can't remember the name!], or could the ANA give an indication of a problem)?

I have a family hx of thyroid problems, but my TSH and free T4 are both at the BOTTOM of their ranges...so something is not exactly "right." The T3 is kind of in the middle, so I'm still a little confused...

Thanks for your help!!!! I look forward to hearing from people.

Noa

Old 09-11-2003, 05:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
I can't answer all your questions, but I know a little about the antibodies. The tests you need to determine thyroid issues are TPO AB and TG AB. Mostly, the results of these determine either Hashimoto's or Graves diseases. Non-specific thyroiditis may not be associated with ABs. ANA is non-specific for thyroid problems. Thyroid AB tests are needed.
As far as I know, Synthroid wouldn't obliterate ABs.

According to my endo, the number of ABs doesn't determine the degree of illness a patient has. A number in the thousands doesn't necessarily make the patient's sx worse than a count just above range.

I'm counting on those on the board who know more than me to correct me if I'm wrong about this: I think they would say that low TSH coupled with low T4 indicates a pituitary problem rather than a thyroid issue.

[This message has been edited by midwest1 (edited 09-11-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2003, 01:21 PM   #3

Noa24 HB User
Thank you for the information! I'm very frustrated at this point, as people probably can imagine, and hope to get "to the bottom of" this whole thing as soon as possible.

Any other suggestions on what tests I should ask for?

Thanks.

Noa

Closed Thread