It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2003, 08:02 PM   #1

Brandy's mom HB User
Post pregnancy and Hashimoto

Hello - I'm looking for other's with the same experience or any advice to share. I am almost 10 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. Right before I got pregnant, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's (TSH 11.62, perioxidase 1808! T3 and T4 within normal range). I am on 100mcgs of Synthroid and totally paranoid. I really can't enjoy this pregnancy - first because I'm exhausted beyond belief! and second because of extreme fear of miscarriage. I can't seem to find "stats" on the probability of miscarrying with Hashimoto's. For some reason I feel like having that information will help me. Any help/suggestions/feedback/commiseration will be appreciated!

Old 09-11-2003, 04:55 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User
Hi,
Im not really sure of that stats. Have you asked you doctor about this? He would probably know best and be able to treat you accordingly.

I am also pregnant, appx 6-7 weeks and hypo. My TSH is somewhat lower at 4.5 but my doctor is trying to up my dosage from .88 to 100 for the last 7 days and finally up to 112 as quickly as can be done. He said it was critical to get the correct dosage because the baby will be forming the heart, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2003, 06:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Have you had TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 tested more recently?

It is best if your Free T3 and Free T4 are mid-range in their ranges or above while you are pregnant. As long as they are up there, there is no cause for alarm. Get yourself tested, and concentrate on keeping T3 and T4 in the upper part of the lab range and there and you'll have a wonderful pregnancy and a healthy baby.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 09-11-2003, 07:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
I agree with MEEP, get those numbers tested and check them often, your TSH will tend to rise during pregnancy and meds will need to be adjusted to keep your numbers in line.

I have Hashi's and had a miscarriage, I didn't even know I was pregnant and didn't even suspect it until my thyroid numbers went haywire.

You should have no problem as long as you keep a close watch on the thyroid numbers and keep them in range.

Try not to worry, stress affects both the thyroid and the baby and as long as you keep your numbers in range you and your baby will be just fine.

Old 09-11-2003, 03:40 PM   #5

kerryhinch HB User
Wink

Hello,
I just wanted to say that I have Hashimoto's too. I was diagnosed after the birth of my first baby who is now 15 months old. I had pp thyroiditis, was hyper, then hypo and remain hypo. My thyroid peroxidase antiboides are over 4000 !!!

I am also just shy of 24 weeks pregnant! I am being treated by an ob and medical consultant and they are taking my bloods every 6 weeks since 20 weeks and before that every month. I am have had my levels upped several times already..but all seems to be going well!

I was sooo scared of miscarrigae, but all the info I read stated that if you are controlled your risk is only slightly elevated, and also that infertility patients (those who need assisted conception) seem to be the ones who high thyroid antibodies affect the pregnancies the most. Also the studies were in women who had no overt disease, so it may be that they had subclinical thyroid disease which was causing the miscarriages.

BEST wishes, hang in there!!!

Hugs

Closed Thread